WHO'S WATCHIN WHILE YOUR GONE ??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trail cameras have gotten incredibly cheap.

Trail cams are digital cameras that are triggered by motion sensors. The better ones can take pictures in complete darkness, using invisible infrared.

They are used by deer hunters for pre-season scouting, but they make ideal security cameras. And, yes, they're available at Amazon.

Regards
John

I wonder if a car alarm would be better than nothing on your trailer or MH. It would be my luck the trail-cams would "disappear". I have a driveway alarm that runs off a battery powered motion sensor. Makes a beeping sound in the house when you come on my driveway. I could use it for a perimiter alarm at camp during the night. I like the rope idea too, Walking Dead reference? LOL and the post about the big chain,dog food bowl and half chewed bone someone else had mentioned.

I just let the dog take care of the place......Nikki is a husky with an attitude !!!!!!!

Bindi raises hell whenever anyone gets near our rig, but not too many people are afraid of a 9 lb gimp min-pin :D

Usually....I say, usually, things are safe in a camping area, as neighbors (hopefully not tooo close) sorta rely on each other for security.
We certainly don't leave anything out that's valuable tho.
Losing a $10 folding chair wouldn't break my heart, but it would have a tendency to pizz me off.

We carry $20 yard sale bikes, which we lock to the rig, but even those can be replaced. I can work on all kinds of bikes and gave up on expensive ones years ago.

I am a member of that "external tribe"...We never camped too close and left our setup when we went into town with out a worry. When camping without the tribe, I think most people that are 'permanent camping' like I am, wouldn't steal. When I was in Cottonwood, AZ alone, I felt comfortable going into town and leaving my 'setup'. Is this not a good idea? It is more fun with a group at a distance. An occasional 'Hello' and little conversation while walking the dog makes my day and makes me feel connected.

This post kind of surprises me. I never lock my door, leave my keys in the van, my bike in full view and have never had a thing stolen. Yes I have dogs but they're Poodles for Gods sake and love everybody so not much of a deterrent. I would think that it's just where I live now but it was the same in NH and when I camped in Newburgh NY too. I have one close neighbor but they work all day and go to bed before 8 at night. Most days my door is wide open so that the dogs can go out into the pen under my awning. I head off for hours and never worry.

I think it goes back to the rule of.......the company you keep......if you park in a bad neighborhood.......shoddy campground and your gut feeling says you need to lock it up , your in the wrong place!!

Never had anyone mess with mine either.....and now there is a dog onboard so its a goodluck scenario....I have an anti-social/ service dog (Husky) that wont let you within 4 ft of me when Im around....I can imagine how close she will get when Im not there to call her down......LOL

mockturtle said:
I don't leave a lot of stuff outside and, most of the time, I'm ready to leave at a moment's notice which, if someone camps right next to me [when the campground is virtually empty!], I often do. 

I agree. What's up with people who just have to be right next to you? This happens while boondocking and also in restaurants.