Who's using Straight Talk?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Todo

Reaction score
Thinking of switching to them being they run on all four carriers so should get signal pretty much anywhere signal is available.
I did a search here but most recent thread went to switching carriers over pricing.
Let me know you're experience with them, good bad or other, especially relating to coverage.

Thanks!

You have an initial choice of carriers when you sign up.  The startup pack contains SIMs for Verizon, AT&T, and TMobile.  Pick one only.  You can switch later by sacrificing a virgin SIM for that carrier, but there **may** be a charge.

I went from that miserable Visible to Straight talk and I like it.  If you use the PDA+ app, you can use hotspot without limits.

Really?! Well that blows, eff em than. Not that I've spent a great deal of time researching them, but what I did never came across that. Makes sense though.
Thanks!

Edit: actually, if there's no charge that wouldn't be too bad. I found this video on it, although from 2016 I wouldn't imagine it's changed much.

I'll have to look a little further into this...

So, essentially when you switch carriers you're starting a new plan, which if it's mid cycle you forfeit the remainder of the cycle.
There is no fee however for doing this, aside from buying the corresponding sim for the desired carrier.
What I'm curious now about is switching back if the sims are reusable.
I may give the cheapo plan a try to test this.

I've been using Straight Talk for over a year with an LG Rebel 4 that was on special for twenty bucks. I started out with a 25GB plan but switched to 5GB because I wasn't using that much data—at least not on the phone. I don't know which carrier it's using, but it has worked sufficiently well except in very remote locations, like the Verizon phone I used to use.

highdesertranger said:
Remember not all phones can work with all carriers.    Highdesertranger

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. I do have an unlocked phone so should work fine with most but something I'd like to know ahead of time.

Uncle Todo said:
Thinking of switching to them being they run on all four carriers so should get signal pretty much anywhere signal is available.
I did a search here but most recent thread went to switching carriers over pricing.
Let me know you're experience with them, good bad or other, especially relating to coverage.

Thanks!

I've been with streighttalk a long time & the phone you have determines which service you use. An example... I moved to an area where Verizon did not work well, I bought an ATT phone and swapped it for the Verizon phone I'd been using and just continued on. 
You look at the part number on the phone you're buying, it will have an A or a V to indicate ATT or Verizon... I think there was a T for T-Mobile but I have not bought a phone in some time.
I have had zero problems putting money on the phone...
I'd guess you could have a phone for each of the major services and swap phones as needed, the time you have on the phone stays but you start over with voice mail and all of that setup stuff.

becida said:
...I'd guess you could have a phone for each of the major services and swap phones as needed...

The problem would be switching the phone number back and forth.

becida said:
I've been with streighttalk a long time & the phone you have determines which service you use. An example... I moved to an area where Verizon did not work well, I bought an ATT phone and swapped it for the Verizon phone I'd been using and just continued on. 
You look at the part number on the phone you're buying, it will have an A or a V to indicate ATT or Verizon... I think there was a T for T-Mobile but I have not bought a phone in some time.
I have had zero problems putting money on the phone...
I'd guess you could have a phone for each of the major services and swap phones as needed, the time you have on the phone stays but you start over with voice mail and all of that setup stuff.

MrNoodly said:

I would be BYOP, Bring Your Own Phone. I have a Motorola Moto G Power that's "unlocked" for multi carrier use. I've had it on AT&T and currently on Google Fi.
I wouldn't be switching numbers, but rather sims, albeit I'd have to time switching with billing.
Ans that would get to be a pain, and probably not worth it. There are better deals price wise out there.
Fi uses multiple carriers on the same sim, wish ST did as well :(

MrNoodly said:

I bought an ATT phone (from straightalk) to use where we were, swapping was no big deal. Some months later swapping back to the verizon phone was not a problem.

becida said:
I bought an ATT phone (from straightalk) to use where we were, swapping was no big deal. Some months later swapping back to the verizon phone was not a problem.

I was replying to "I'd guess you could have a phone for each of the major services and swap phones as needed." The way I understood that is someone would have multiple active phones at the same time so that wherever they happened to be at any moment of any day, they could use the phone with the best signal at that location. 

66788 said:
I went from that miserable Visible to Straight talk and I like it.  If you use the PDA+ app, you can use hotspot without limits.
Dang!! Is this still true? I suspect it is since you posted just last month!  I've been thinking about Straight Talk because it works of all the 4 biggies, although they are "3rd party" provider.  I still hear a lot of good about Straight Talk especially from folks that live out places like Paisley Oregon which is pretty small and out of the way.

highdesertranger said:
Remember not all phones can work with all carriers.    Highdesertranger
Right, I learned to always buy an unlocked, GSM phone and there may be other things when shopping for phones, I'm sure ;)  Like is it an Android ;) my fave