who has the best cell and internet

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
hi all ok I am starting to wind things up like getting rid of bills the first will be the phone bill so  I need to know witch cell service is best for nomads

I have a 'love-hate' relationship with Verizon, my bill is higher than most but I have not been anywhere that I did not have service with the exception of the bottom of Palo Duro Canyon. Even had service on the plains of N. Dakota.

I'm sure others will weigh in but that's what works for me. Rob

Gunny said:
I have a 'love-hate' relationship with Verizon, my bill is higher than most but I have not been anywhere that I did not have service with the exception of the bottom of Palo Duro Canyon. Even had service on the plains of N. Dakota.

I'm sure others will weigh in but that's what works for me. Rob
the cell phone I use now is a tracphone and it is a flip phone

I used my Verizon while employed and traveling to or through all of the US and was satisfied. They just limit data or charge too much (in my opinion) for the data. I used Tapatalk from Standing Rock. My bill with 6 gigs of data and rollover is about 100 including paying for my Apple smarter than me phone.

Hope to see you out and about.. Rob

Tracfone foe me. Hey. What's that thing called that helps pick up a WiFi signal,such as at Wal-Mart??? Thanks HoboJoe

This question is not even up for debate. For people traveling outside of cities, especially in the western half of the U.S. Verizon is the best by a long shot. You can get Verizon service through resellers (with less expensive plans), you just have to figure out which resellers/phones/plans use which company's towers. AFAIK, Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T all work ok in cities. But compared to Verizon they suck outside of cities.

The question sometimes has a lot to do with how much data you use. Verizon, like other posters have mentioned seems to be the best in the outlying areas. I have a T-mobile phone and a Verizon jetpack so I can always get through one way or the other but my internet use is a priority for me. If it is primarily for phone use and minimal internet you can get StraightTalk like VanGrrl57 suggested for (I think) $45 for 5gb and $55 for 10gb plans. I have used Straightalk in the past and for the most part it worked fine. They do not support Visual Voicemail for the iPhone so messaging can be a hassle if you are used to that. Also if going with StraightTalk you have to make sure it is with a Verizon compatible sim as StraightTalk also has sims for other networks (ATT for example).

If you are a big data user then the question becomes a bigger one.

FALCON said:
This question is not even up for debate. For people traveling outside of cities, especially in the western half of the U.S. Verizon is the best by a long shot. You can get Verizon service through resellers (with less expensive plans), you just have to figure out which resellers/phones/plans use which company's towers. AFAIK, Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T all work ok in cities. But compared to Verizon they suck outside of cities.

Just so everyone knows, this is every bit as true on the east coast as out west. If you look up advice for hiking the Appalachian Trail, you'll almost always find "get a Verizon cell phone" on the list because they're the ONLY carrier who gets a signal in many rural areas all the way from Georgia to Maine. I live in rural Pennsylvania right now and can attest that Sprint and T-mobile are 100% useless here, even in town. AT&T works in town, but not much outside of it.

Verizon is far from the cheapest carrier and their customer service sucks, but I and everyone else I know live with it because we want our phones to actually WORK.

I have them all. For the Money my Cricket phone is rarely out of the service area. There unlimited plan for $65 a month with auto pay is really nice.

One issue I did have with Verizon was at the RTR when so many were on Verizon that it overloaded the tower.

I vote Verizon. although not 100% coverage it works better then anything else out west. highdesertranger

You can get Verizon service from straight talk. Some of their phones/plans (gsm)work on T-mo/at&t. To get Verizon service use the"cdma"activation kit if you have an older Verizon phone that doesn't use a SIM card. If you have a newer Verizon phone with a SIM slot use the LTE/cdma activation kit. This works on locked out unlocked(but not blacklisted) Verizon phones.

Latest posts