Who has Color advice?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djkeev

Reaction score
As you may know, I picked up an 03 Dodge with a fiberglass conversion top on it. 

The clear coat on it has been flaking off and there is also some fiberglass damage that needs some repairs. 

I need to paint the top but I'm not crazy about again matching the Vans dark maroon color it currently is painted. 

I'm thinking To alleviate heat build up from the Sun and to add some visual contrast, a lighter color would be good.

Maybe add some side stripes the same color?

I've painted fiberglass tops before and I like using a marine top side paint for this application. 

Here is a photo of the Van and the Awl Grip color chart.

Who has color advice? 

1037001.jpg

1037000.jpg

Thanks! 

Dave

Van looks to have some decaling on the sides already.. they appear to be a silver color.. Maybe use the silver that matches closest? For heat/sun reflection and style, without having to remove the decals. And for stylin' effect, leave the outset lower skirt and the sculpting the maroon, to make it look more factory.

Kind of like what I did with Hank's roof. A majority of the roof was painted a reflective color (in this case, the kool-seal white) and I left the shaped/raised bits the factory color. That way it doesn't look so 'rattle-can' after market.

Just my $.02

Tough call making a roof a second color, let alone one light enough to make it worthwhile for heat reflectivity. I think white is about the only color that stands a shot at not looking bad...I'm picturing something reminiscent of the FJ roofs:

[img=450x325]http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l...nt.php?attachmentid=248163&d=1411508628[/img]

You don't have to paint everything white, maybe just the crown, or maybe use some of those relief moldings to add black in...or add in a black roof rack...that'd be both functional and cool looking.  Awlgrip is a nice product, but it is very over-priced...I use Sherwin Williams High Solids Polyurethane at about half the cost, but only available in gallons.

And look what else popped up with search string of "FJ cruiser white top":

[img=250x325]http://qatar.yallamotor.com/system/...012_-_FJ_Cruiser_-_Dubai.jpg?1351507065[/img]

To add information, the side stripes are weather beaten and will be removed and updated with something "affordable". Because of this I'm not limited to Silver.

Brad....
While The second FJ Cruiser white top photo is quite nice, I do think my Wife would object to her hanging out in the Van....

Dave

I vote to get rid of the stripes all together. I hate the graphics on motorhomes and trailers. I don't see why they are even put on. they only last a few years before the star to degrade then they really look bad. as far as the top white would be best for heat control. I am partial to the desert sand colors but I don't think it would look good with a purple van. highdesertranger

I used International Harvester white.  (cream)  But I am color blind.   :cool:  Tractor paint is more durable and less expensive than auto paints.

Attachments

• Van sale p3.jpg
    Van sale p3.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 12
Picking a color for someone else is like picking a name for their child. ;)

Well........ Maroon and Silver.......

Maroon and Gold......

Or go old school White middle? Which I kind of like actually.........

Dave

I don't like any of those. but it's not my van. pick any one you like after all it's what makes you happy. highdesertranger

If you wrap it in reflex and put it under a shade tarp who's opinion matters but yours. White is great in urban areas but can be seen for miles in the desert.

I'm not saying the design is good, except I do like the white side detail, looking more at color options.......

Dave

The grey/sikver is interesting, it looks like the color continues onto the rear door frame?

And I agree, what /how to paint my Van is MY choice, but it's nice to get feedback and ideas from those more color "coordinated" than I BEFORE I load up the paint cup!

Instead of
"Oh! ...... That's an interesting color choice!"
After the job is done.

Dave

bullfrog said:
If you wrap it in reflex and put it under a shade tarp who's opinion matters but yours.  White is great in urban areas but can be seen for miles in the desert.

Am I desiring to hide if parked in the desert? 

You must also understand that I abhor being HOT! 

The chances of me boon docking in a desert are basically slim to none. 

Dave

It's been proven that white tops in the desert are more likely to attract unwanted attention from passing aliens. Refletrix or tin foil can help mitigate the consequences.

BradKW said:
It's been proven that white tops in the desert are more likely to attract unwanted attention from passing aliens. Refletrix or tin foil can help mitigate the consequences.

Again, Hell will have frozen over before you find me parked in a desert! 

NOT a worry of mine...... ^^^^^

Dave

wow didn't realize you were so anti desert, no problem to each their own. I guess we won't be seeing you at RTR. highdesertranger

Uhighdesertranger said:
wow didn't realize you were so anti desert,  no problem to each their own.  I guess we won't be seeing you at RTR.  highdesertranger

No...... You probably won't unless it's moved North of the 39th parallel..........  :rolleyes:

Dave