White gas aka Dual Fuel Coleman stove troubleshooting

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UptownSport

Reaction score
Dual burner was too big, so got a used single.
It was next to unused.

Trouble is, these flare ups- that get worse-
It's a little concerning, for obv reasons ...
20171028_090019-1.jpg

Anyone have experience w these? Dual burner worked nominally fine. Same fuel

Attachments

• 20171028_090019-1.jpg
    20171028_090019-1.jpg
    632.4 KB · Views: 16
They are subject to bad fuel, bad gaskets and trouble with plugged orifice. The air pumps often leak pressure. They are easily repaired.

I have a couple of those dual fuel (coleman white gas and regular unleaded gas) lanterns and cook stove. I just keep em cleaned out and I use premium gasoline instead of the cheap stuff. All of them are many years old and they work like brand new.

UptownSport said:
Dual burner was too big, so got a used single.
It was next to unused.

Trouble is, these flare ups- that get worse-
It's a little concerning, for obv reasons ...

Clean out the generator. (The tube that goes accross the stovetop) and make sure all the seals are still good. Or you can go to Coleman and buy a gasoline only generator. I found that if you poured just a bit if alcohol ontop, and lit it to pre-heat the generator alittle, it cuts down on the flare ups until its fully warmed up...

I have a Coleman 533. They are good stoves. (I started collecting gasoline stoves.. It's a hobby that kinda came out of nowhere. Vintage ones built in the old Soviet Union are much much better then the newest Colemans)

UptownSport said:

Flares like that are often caused by incomplete gasification of the liquid fuel in the generator (fuel tube that passes through the flame).  The gen is probably gunked;  I'd replace it with a new one which you can mail order for a few bucks. 

If you like to experiment, you may be able to burn out the gunk from the gen by removing it, holding it gently in a pair of grips, and heating it up pretty good with a torch.  The fettlers (collectors/tinkerers) have to do this with some really old gear when there are no gen replacements available.

Burning unleaded causes them to gunk faster.  I would imagine that since premium (as another poster mentioned) has more additives it'd be even worse.  The dual-fuel gens are just bigger to take more gunk before they clog.

Thanks, yes, torch to burn it out, makes sense. There was a lot of goop in there.

I think the problem here is the 'loose nut' on the lever, LoL

Coleman said:
In temperatures below freezing, PREHEATING PASTE must be used to heat the generator before lighting
Coleman said:
If flame appears below lever, move red lever to off
Coleman said:
... Pump 25 times
Not 35 of other stove

Those words they wrote clearly on the side tell you stuff