Which would you choose?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello folks!  I value your experience and opinion, so I have the following question:  Which of the class B camper vans would you choose?  This is a purposeful 'blind question' so that looks do not affect your answer - I am concerned with the engine quality.  :)

#1 - 1997 Dodge Ram 3500 engine with about 183,000 original miles (nothing replaced) - northern vehicle (Canada) - possible minor rust on back door, but otherwise excellent exterior and excellent interior.  All RV items in working condition.  $9,000.00 asking price.

#2 - 1995 Chevy G30 with about 130,000 miles on a Jasper rebuilt engine (255,000 total miles) with Air Conditioner, Brakes, Shocks, Power Steering, Alternator, and tires being replaced recently. Southern vehicle (Florida) with excellent exterior and very good interior.  All RV items in working condition.  $6,400.00 asking price.

Thanks much in advance for your time.

The first one offers nothing for that price...

i would pass on both

#1-high price,high miles and rust

#2 high priced,high miles,new engine is old and what about trans,rear end and everything else that moves

If I only had those two to choose from, I'd go with #2

#1 is way overpriced IMO for anything that is 20 years old and it's got more miles on the engine. Also since it's Cdn driven, it's more likely to have been exposed to a lot of road salt.

I would normally say the Chevy but that's a lot of miles on a rebuilt engine, probably getting close to needing another engine. compression check for sure. the Dodge is way over priced. highdesertranger

Ditto, I wouldn't hesitate if the engine had 130 and was factory, but rebuilt engines in my experience always need to be rebuilt again...soon
Rust is another issue, and costs more than engines do

If those were my only choices, I'd go with Numba Two, after having it mechanic inspected and a good test drive. Also try to talk him down a bit on price.

Rust is rust don't matter who or what made it and it usually does not stop once it starts, be very careful rust isn't worth much. Salted roads or sea salt takes it's toll.

Dodge used a unitized construction meaning that there is no frame. The body is the frame. If the body rusts, the integrity of the structure is compromised. I have a Dodge, but it is a Nevada vehicle, (no rust).

The Chevy is being sold because the owner is tired of putting money into it. Are you sure that you want to take over their position?

Just when you marry the last person on earth, someone better will turn up. Both manufacturers made more than one vehicle.

how mechanically inclined are you? haven't heard good things about jaspers,(other forums) but if its a good  i had a factory 350 that went 250,000 all i had to do was put new plugs in every year, and change oil every 3500mi. unibodys make me nervous.

@caretaker: "haven't heard good things about jaspers,(other forums)"

Can you tell me a remanufactured engine that is good/warrantied for 100,000 miles +? I read somewhere NAPA engines are good.

TD, SUMMIT is who i am going with, JEGS is good too,both those guys have the best after sale support, the best reputations in the business. They use new factory crate engine blocks, pistons, heads. and, you can put anything on it you want, your stuff or theirs. plus if you have them build it for you, they use ALL brand new parts, no remanufacture parts. all you have to do is go to their web sites and type in what you want. believe me man its like the sears toy cataloge we used to get in  the mail when we were kids,(I'm 59) a basic engine from them is the same price as a jasper only with a LOT better warranty and after sale service. and if you want them to (this is what I'm going to do) they will dyno it and hot  torque the heads,exhaust manifolds intake, and valve lash. will cost extra. there is a place on the web also that will do trannys to match. if you want me to i  will look them up.

TD sorry man i didn't see the 100,000 mile thing, i don't think they will do that, but if i had to guess i would say nobody has a warranty that goes that long.

Be careful at the JEGS store because if you get wrapped up in building the best engine you can you'll be in for $20,000 before you hit the checkout!

bullfrog, you got that right, the motor 350 chevy, tranny(3 year unlimited mileage) about $8000 total

if you are replacing a GM V-8 small block, it's best to get the engine from GM. they are brand new, not rebuilt, come with a 3 year 100k warranty and are under 2k in price. if you ask me it's a no brainer. I have installed at least 30 of these. highdesertranger

TravelingDruid said:
http://www.genuinegmparts.com/powertrain-parts/engines

It looks like they are brand new GM OE engines (not sure if plug and play) and they are warranted (nationwide) for 100,000 miles.  This may be what I am looking for - new is usually much better than remanufactured.  Thanks all!

That warranty probably only covers labor if a dealership does the swap. If someone else installs it, you will be paying someone again for the labor that it takes.