Which solar components are the fuses protecting?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamsack

Reaction score
Hi all,<br>I've recently learned that installing inline fuses (to the positive wires) is very important to safeguard against any damage to the solar components.&nbsp; My question is which components are being protected when:<br><br>__&nbsp; the fuse is installed between the solar panels and the charge controller.&nbsp; Is the charge controller being protected or the solar panels or both?<br>__&nbsp; the fuse is installed between the charge controller and the batteries.&nbsp; Are the batteries being protected or the controller or both?<br>__&nbsp; the fuse is installed between the batteries and the inverter.&nbsp; Is the inverter being protected or the batteries or both?<br><br>For some folks, these may be stupid questions, but please be patient and long-suffering.&nbsp; The only way I personally learn anything well is by asking a thousand questions.&nbsp; Thanks everyone.<br><br><br><br>

Hi Yam,<BR>Can't help you with your questions yet, but I'm glad you're asking them so I can learn to. <BR>

A fuse is a safety device, protecting the wire from starting fires and somewhat the device supplying power.&nbsp; It may help protect the power using device, but that is not why they are used in most cases.<br>