Which small van platform is the best?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whizzif

Reaction score
Greetings,

I've owned 6 Eurovan campers that I used for weekends - climbing/mountain biking primarily. These are getting older and harder to come by - not to mention they are a little overpriced. I mean, a 1995 VW Eurovan is still trying to fetch $30K?
So, I've been considering a Ford Transit Connect or a Nissan NV200. I'm guessing it's probably worth it to go new Ford (2014) over the older one (2013). I'm trying to get some feedback to see what others think. Is the Ford better in the snow than the Nissan - how do their drive systems compare? Engines? Transmissions? Are the new FTC vans built in the US or still in Turkey?
I'm seriously interested in a build out like the campuniq (www.minicamper.nl)
What I'm thinking is similar layout on a new Transit connect with a skylight at first and then save up to do a pop top with bed kit. Does anyone know anyone that is doing this sort of build out in the US? I don't know why Europe is so ahead of us in terms of small campervans....but I hope we catch up soon.
Our plan is to weekend warrior it for a bit and then maybe take a few year trip if we can afford it.
Let me know what you guys think. Appreciate the feedback.

Greetings!

I'm not a big fan of purchasing new vehicles, I'd rather let someone else suffer the huge depreciations, and getting all of the new vehicle bugs out.

I don't think I'm a big fan of mini vans either, since you can get similar gas mileage with a full size van with a V6 engine, and have the advantage of a LOT more room to be comfortable.

By virtue of size, any van camper is going to have limited space. Because of this, I really like the idea of using a portable camp stove, and dish pans for sinks. This way, without duplication, both can be used outside on a picnic table if desired, or inside on your now empty kitchen counter top which can also easily be used for other things. For refrigeration a simple 7+ day cooler with a big block of ice will last for a week or so, and can also be used for extra seating when needed. You can buy an awful lot of 99¢ blocks of ice for the difference in price between a cooler and a powered unit, and it won't break down on you.

Give a little thought to comfortable inside seating for that inevitable rained out camping trip. Give a little thought to whether you want or need an indoor toilet and/or shower. A futon sofa/bed will fit lengthwise in most any full size van. TV trays can work for tables both inside and out and are also handy to put between a couple of comfy chairs outdoors. These same comfy chairs might be usable indoors too if you plan it right.

Your camp stove can be used for heat, just turn a clay flower pot upside down over one burner to help radiate the heat. AC isn't quite as easy, but can mean the difference between comfort and misery. I can supply you with info on 12v AC units if needed.

Both heating(12v) and cooling(non-powered) blankets are available. Proper planning and knowledge can make those camping trips more comfortable than most people realize.

I'm a fulltimer in a Camper Van I designed myself, and I've got over 50 years of experience at this and I build camper vans too, so please don't hesitate to ask any questions. Not counting the cost of the van, a typical camper package can be installed for under $500 and frequently more in the $200-$300 range, with no carpentry skills needed.

I might be able to offer help with floor plan ideas and/or designs if I have dimensions to work with.

"If you keep it simple, and you're not a happy camper, it's usually simple to fix too."

Cheers!

The CamperVan_Man

I'd think the connect is way too small. I'd go with the Nissan over it.

Thanks for the reply - I think the new transit connect (it's about the same size as the Nissan) would work. I believe Westfalia is using this platform for their nugget (google ford transit connect nugget) - that's a great design as well. I'm going back and forth on this design with a pop top or just the minicamper.nl design. I am also looking at another Eurovan full camper. I like the smaller design as we're just going to be using it for weekend trips and occassional 3-4 day jaunts. Needs to be comfortable, insulated, heater w thermostat, preferably a stove/sink - and seating for 4.
The new dodge promaster is a nice platform as well but a little big as is the sprinter. Great space but I might use this as a daily driver and just don't need that much space. I also really want something that gets over 20mpg.
I appreciate the feedback though, I am sure I'll have more questions.

I have a friend with the high-top Nissan, and it is amazing inside! But he only gets 15 mpg!!!!? :huh:

You can beat that with most high top conversion vans and save $20,000 in price. My girlfiend gets a consistent 18 mpg out of her low-top 2007 Chevy Express.
Bob

akrvbob said:
I have a friend with the high-top Nissan, and it is amazing inside! But he only gets 15 mpg!!!!? :huh:

You can beat that with most high top conversion vans and save $20,000 in price. My girlfiend gets a consistent 18 mpg out of her low-top 2007 Chevy Express.
Bob

It kills me that they didn't put a diesal in those..

If you want small, I vote for the Chevy Astro/GMC Safari. They're plentiful and tough. The drive train is the same as the S-10/Sonoma pickup and the Blazer/Jimmy mini SUV. If you plan on doing any dirt road driving you'd be glad you have a truck-based van rather than one intended only for paved roads. No, they don't get great milage, but you don't need to pamper the things. And, if you're lucky, you can find an AWD version.

If you don't want to go that way, but you still want small, there are always other minivans. There are millions of used Caravans, Astros, Odysseys and whatnot out there. (I vote for the Honda) Just rip out the baby vomit seats and dog pee stained carpet and you're good to go. You'd have about the same room as a Eurovan but without the high price. And parts/service are a lot more available. And a minivan can be maximum stealthy.

akrvbob said:
Total stealth, 28 mpg, and pretty comfortable. What's not to love!?
Bob

Not enough space for a big guy to live. In this world you can have economy or space, but not both, unless it's the Sprinter...

66788 said:
Not enough space for a big guy to live. In this world you can have economy or space, but not both, unless it's the Sprinter...

And then with the Sprinter, you also have to have a large wallet!

The Ford Nugget wouldn't work for me at all. Not enough stand up height. No pass through from middle to rear kitchen area. That would kill 'stealth'. Not sure how the bedding works, as I would remove the rear seats entirely - no room for a bed? Climbing up into a drop-down bed isn't going to happen. :-/

whizzif said:
I think the new transit connect (it's about the same size as the Nissan) would work.  I like the smaller design as we're just going to be using it for weekend trips and occassional 3-4 day jaunts.  

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-My-2010-Ford-Transit-Connect-conversion

That's what I use mine for and it works great for that.  No way would I want to full-time in it, though.  Too small.

The nice thing about only using it for camping is you can keep the design simple.  I don't need a lot of Bling, I just need a comfortable place to sleep, eat, and get dressed.

So far so good.  :cool:

What are your thoughts about two people in a transit? We are having a hard time picking between mpg or more room. We are use to living In a small cabin in Alaska.. But not sure if transit would've too small?
Thanks Amie

quote='akrvbob' pid='77351' dateline='1394754971']

Code:
The older, smaller Connect gets 28 MPG and can be comfortable live in. With the new big one out they may drop in price used. I have a friend who travels a lot in one and has converted it. Here are two blog posts he did for my blog:

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/converting-a-ford-transit-connect/
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/update-ford-transit-connect-ftc/

Total stealth, 28 mpg, and pretty comfortable. What's not to love!?
Bob
[/quote]