Which federal camping sites will be closed because of the government shutdown?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the Article Link!

It's very sad. Boquillos has been a yearly Mecca for me. I know Lilia Falcon and her family's history. She's a strong woman who had to work as a domestic during the Border crisis a few years back but was able to come home and reopen the beautiful restaurant her father worked so hard to establish in their tiny town. There is another Falcon's right across the little dirt path, a smaller cafe owned by distant family. When we go, we dine at both, at least some of us and at least a little bit. 

The town has a population of maybe 300-400 and that's a stretch. The only source of income is from visitors of BBNP who ride a donkey or walk the mile or so into town once across the river, which takes a minute in a boat. It is a well-organized grass-roots operation which makes no one in Boquillos rich' only self-sustainable, to a degree.

It's a quaint little town just as might be imagined but it's no Hollywood backdrop - these are real people. Real chickens and chihuahuas run the dirt paths between the tiny multi-colored houses. Children fill those paths and greet you, sincerely. These are beautiful families.

There is a small school where the younger ones attend in the morning and the older ones in the afternoon. Many of the older children speak English. They have aspirations and enjoy sharing them with you. Each year, we take a few gifts of school supplies to the school. By Law we can only bring 5 "toys" over in our backpacks. Some years we have managed to engage other campers to bring 5 items, too and then we take them to the school or give them to the children as we go through town.

There use to be a good ol' boy from Alpine, Texas who played Santa, each year. I don't know if he still does it. He used his own money and last I spoke with him, he was at Pasado's on this side and said he was looking for a replacement Santa. 

There is a tiny Clinic. I visited the clinic one year. It was very clean - almost sterile and the youngsters who gave me a tour were so professional. They admitted that grandma's remedies were still the ones favored though and felt fortunate to have them.

There are solar panels which provide some power. Many of you will understand the significance of this.

Boquillas is the epitome of a united, peaceful village - el otro lado. 

I've been recuperating from a bad accident and have been waffling about going to Big Bend. This makes me want to more.

As for the park itself- There are serious 'regulars' to BBNP and they will keep things running as well as can be expected. They and the citizens of Terlingua/Study Butte. This is going to take volunteers. But it can be done. It has been before - and successfully. Some Rangers stay and volunteer their time. I dont know or care if their wages will be made up to them, that they stay is good.

Checking up after your neighboring campers is not so polarizing if it's done politely and sincerely. Good training if you are interested in Camp Hosting...or just living this Nomad- Life.

:heart:​

Wow this brings back memories.  I went to BBNP with a bunch of college pals back in 1974 and survived the swim across the Rio Grande on the way to Boquillos - that was the only way to get there back then.  Take a look at the attached photo and see if you recognize anything.  My wife and I attempted to recreate the crossing in 2006 but 9/11 prevented that.

boquillas.jpg

Moderator Note: Removed full quotation of immediately preceding post. Please do not quote the post directly above your post. Thank You

Attachments

• boquillas.jpg
    boquillas.jpg
    645.5 KB · Views: 13
I couldn't make out the one photo but the other is definitely the town Bar - which no one goes to except tourists and maybe the guitar player. We crossed right after the border reopened. We waded across to help celebrate families being together. It was a party. But the border closure had such an impact on the little economy in Boquillas that the Bar had maybe a few bottles of beer and "Mexican" Coca Colas. Such happiness, though. 

Thanks for the photo - definitely 1976!  :D

There is a great web page/forum run by people who love BBNP. (Big Bend Chat . Com)

I just read they have closed all the campgrounds and some trails. I hope they reopen, soon.

Peace