Which came first? The TV or the TT?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mothercoder

Reaction score
This may be sort of a “thinking out loud” post but responses are welcome.  Sometimes it helps to clarify thought by putting them in writing.  Feel free to comment! 

Should I choose to go the way of a TT instead of a van, I will need to purchase both the TT and the TV.  I do not have enough to purchase them both outright at this moment and I will not finance.  I aim to go full-time debt free. 

Therefore, I need to decide which I will purchase first and there are arguments for both.  Here are my pros and cons list.

Purchase TT first

Pros: 

•        Better deal to be had buying this time of year
  •         Inventory on the east coast is limited and there would be less competition for purchases
  •         Plenty of time to get it set up and make any changes I would want to make
  •        I would know what kind of TV I would need to buy to handle the TT

Cons

•         I would have no way to tow it so I would have to pay for towing
  •         I would likely have to pay to store it until I am ready to leave as there’s no place for me to park it
  •          Anything would be winterized so I couldn’t check out systems
  •         Want to sell my current vehicle before registration expires in April so that means I would have to rely on public transportation for 6-8 weeks until I can buy my TV.  I’ve done it before and it’s not too much of a hassle.  Kind of a pro and con since I would save money but I’m less mobile.  Public transportation is door-to-door to work – not too much of a problem.
  •          My lease expires mid-June but I will be working through the end of August and living stealth in whatever mid-size SUV I buy.  That means if I purchase the TT first, I would need to be certain I have enough funds to buy the TV by early June so I can make it stealth and move into it. 

Purchase TV first

Pros
  •  
  •        Registration on my current vehicle expires in April and I want to sell it before then
  •        I would be able to pick up my TT as soon as I locate one I want saving the cost of having it towed
  •         I would know what size TT I should limit my search to
  •         I would have time to take care of all mechanical work and become familiar with the TV before having to tow a TT
  •         Once I retire, I could pick up a TT on my way west and not limit myself to inventory only on the east coast
  •        Potential TTs would no longer be winterized and I could check all the systems before buying

Cons

•        I would have to buy a TT during the camping season, potentially paying more and competing over scarce inventory in my price range
  •        I would have to guess at what I can keep to use in TT since I won’t know the size and needs
Am I missing any considerations?

Given your set of circumstances, particularly the fact that you have no place to store a trailer, I would look for a vehicle first.  In fact, I'm in the same position.  Having changed my idea of the "perfect" set up so many times, I keep coming back to a van towing a trailer.  Park the trailer seasonally wherever I want to explore, and travel/camp in the van.
I've looked at enough trailers to know that I'd be perfectly happy with any of several models in the under 7000 pound range, so that's where I'm concentrating my vehicle search.   
Once I have the vehicle, I'll probably go to west and pick up a trailer there.  No sense towing one across the country when there are plenty to choose from out there.

I'd go with the Tow vehicle first. If you had a place to store the travel trailer I'd possibly suggest going that route. But any savings you'd save by buying this time of year, will be lost to storage. A vehicle that you can use now is also more useful than a trailer you can use later. And even though the deals on trailers are really good on the East Coast this time of year, the inventory is about 1/3 of what it is in-season so your selection will be better then.

I'd figure out roughly what length, tow weight, and hitch weight trailer you want and buy a vehicle that will accommodate it.

ERLH has the right solution, figure out how big / heavy a trailer you need, then pick the tow vehicle accordingly
I've heard advice to buy 2x the tow cap i need, sounds legit, to me, others may disagree, who have more 1st hand experience

Generally the advice would be to buy the TT you want and then buy the vehicle to pull it BUT given your set of circumstance I think the opposite is definitely a better option. In other threads you have been talking about a smaller trailer so you already have an idea of the weight you are going to be pulling.

In the case of a TV bigger is better, and you are better to err on the side of too much power than not enough although you don't want to go overboard (a 1 ton truck for a tiny tear-drop trailer for example). You don't want to be crawling up hills and a smaller vehicle will have more wear and tear on it than larger one in the same time period, negating any gas savings. A bigger engine with more power will have slightly worse gas mileage BUT use a comparably lower percentage of gas while towing. For example a 6cyl Jeep gets 20mpg but 10mpg towing and worse going up hills etc. A Yukon with a larger engine will get 17mpg but only drop to 14mpg when towing as small trailer and you won't notice a trailer behind you. There is nothing worse than having a TV that can't handle what its pulling.

From a personal perspective, with regards to the kind of trailer you have mentioned being interested in, I would be looking at half ton trucks/SUVs built on a half ton frame...but that is just a profoundly personal choice on my part. I have hauled A LOT and know what I am comfortable with and what works best for me.

mayble said:
Given your set of circumstances, particularly the fact that you have no place to store a trailer, I would look for a vehicle first.  In fact, I'm in the same position.  Having changed my idea of the "perfect" set up so many times, I keep coming back to a van towing a trailer.  Park the trailer seasonally wherever I want to explore, and travel/camp in the van.
I've looked at enough trailers to know that I'd be perfectly happy with any of several models in the under 7000 pound range, so that's where I'm concentrating my vehicle search.   
Once I have the vehicle, I'll probably go to west and pick up a trailer there.  No sense towing one across the country when there are plenty to choose from out there.

It's good to hear someone else echo what I've been thinking.  I don't plan on doing much in the way of camping on my way west so why pay for gas to tow something when there's more inventory out west?

DuneElliot said:
Generally the advice would be to buy the TT you want and then buy the vehicle to pull it BUT given your set of circumstance I think the opposite is definitely a better option. In other threads you have been talking about a smaller trailer so you already have an idea of the weight you are going to be pulling.

In the case of a TV bigger is better, and you are better to err on the side of too much power than not enough although you don't want to go overboard (a 1 ton truck for a tiny tear-drop trailer for example). You don't want to be crawling up hills and a smaller vehicle will have more wear and tear on it than larger one in the same time period, negating any gas savings. A bigger engine with more power will have slightly worse gas mileage BUT use a comparably lower percentage of gas while towing. For example a 6cyl Jeep gets 20mpg but 10mpg towing and worse going up hills etc. A Yukon with a larger engine will get 17mpg but only drop to 14mpg when towing as small trailer and you won't notice a trailer behind you. There is nothing worse than having a TV that can't handle what its pulling.

From a personal perspective, with regards to the kind of trailer you have mentioned being interested in, I would be looking at half ton trucks/SUVs built on a half ton frame...but that is just a profoundly personal choice on my part. I have hauled A LOT and know what I am comfortable with and what works best for me.

Thank you for your thoughts.  My personal need on a TV is something I can stealth camp in comfortably so a truck wouldn't be a good option for me.  Also, I am keeping an eye towards what I would be happy keeping as a personal vehicle should I decide to stop going full-time.  I am leaning towards 8cyl SUVs.

I couldn't figure why you were worried about buying a television.

Sorry, wasn't recommending a truck but the larger SUVs are generally built on 1/2 ton truck frames...was just lumping them in together since they are basically the same thing just one has a bed and one has an enclosed trunk.

If you buy a van first, you can live in it while you save for a trailer. I would go 3/4 ton with an engine around 5.7 / 350 cu". First choice would be chevy, second Dodge. Ford engines had problems starting about 2004.

Biggest problem is only you can figure out how much weight YOU will need to carry for YOU to be comfortable living the way YOU choose to live. Most of us have made the mistake of getting too small a tow vehicle for the weight we felt we needed to haul and figuring out too late we crammed a lot of stuff we didn't need into too small a space making things too crowded and weighing too much. My advice is to start downsizing and move your stuff into a room the size of the small trailer and weigh it, them try to live in it. Then think about how much stuff you will have to fit into an SUV and what it will do to gas mileage and wear and tear on the vehicle as well a limit where you go. We had a couple arrive here in the west last year from the east with an SUV and an older 18" bumper pull camping trailer. Worked all summer to fix the transmission so they could sell it to buy a larger tow vehicle. Just so you know.

bullfrog said:
Biggest problem is only you can figure out how much weight YOU will need to carry for YOU to be comfortable living the way YOU choose to live.  Most of us have made the mistake of getting too small a tow vehicle for the weight we felt we needed to haul and figuring out too late we crammed a lot of stuff we didn't need into too small a space making things too crowded and weighing too much.  My advice is to start downsizing and move your stuff into a room the size of the small trailer and weigh it, them try to live in it.  Then think about how much stuff you will have to fit into an SUV and what it will do to gas mileage and wear and tear on the vehicle as well a limit where you go.  We had a couple arrive here in the west last year from the east with an SUV and an older 18" bumper pull camping trailer.  Worked all summer to fix the transmission so they could sell it to buy a larger tow vehicle.  Just so you know.

Thanks.  I've been downsizing with the intention of living in a van so too much stuff won't be my problem.  :)

closeanuf said:
I couldn't figure why you were worried about buying a television.

So glad I am not the only Blond airhead .... but maybe was just a senior moment :p

mothercoder said:
Thanks.  I've been downsizing with the intention of living in a van so too much stuff won't be my problem.  :)

food for thought if you want to get you TT first ... find where you would go first and see if who ever you buy it from will deliver it there .. then you could stay in it while you look for the right TV and use your current vehicle til then .. hope that idea is not too lame... :blush:

I bought my current truck with intentions of getting a trailer. F350, long bed, gas not diesel..its still a bit for gas for now, but its nice to have for the winter time. Ive utilized the interior so far, just have to utilize its towing capabilities.

Its up to you what you can get now for price and storage (or use)

ceejay said:
food for thought if you want to get you TT first ... find where you would go first and see if who ever you buy it from will deliver it there .. then you could stay in it while you look for the right TV and use your current vehicle til then .. hope that idea is not too lame... :blush:

Not lame but it wouldn't work with my circumstances.  My lease isn't up on my apartment until June so that's the soonest I could change my living situation.  When I am able to move out, there is also nowhere I could park a TT to live in.  No driveways or land that friends have which I could utilize.  I would have to use an RV park.  The closest park is about an hour's drive from my work during rush hour and it is $70/night.  That would be more expensive than keeping my apartment on month-to-month.  The intention is to keep working for 2 months beyond my lease so that I can pad my savings account some more.   :shy:

You might check in your area to see if there are RV storage lots.  We have them all over in my area because many people are unable to keep their rv at home.  If you can't find any on your own call some rv dealers and ask them if they can suggest some for you to check out.  These lots should have limited access and security.  This would give you time to set up your trailer.  Boat dealers might also have some names too.

Allen

So I have a Chey S10 4X4 quad cab witha tow pkg. What size TT would everyone suggest. I would like to be at next RTR. Plz I need all the input I can get. TY

Brenda2016 said:
So I have a Chey S10 4X4 quad cab witha tow pkg. What size TT would everyone suggest. I would like to be at next RTR. Plz I need all the input I can get.  The manual that came with says it can tow 5200 lbs

What year is the S10?  What size engine?

This is a very small truck, and it doesn't have a lot of towing capacity.  I found one reference online for the 2003 S10 that said the limit was 1600 lbs.  That's the limit for the trailer PLUS any food, water, clothing, bedding, etc. that you are carrying in there.  And that's only IF the trailer has it's own brakes.

Honestly, this little truck is not a good choice for a tow vehicle for almost any travel trailer.  Even the fold-out camping trailers go 1200 to 1500 lbs . . .

Latest posts