Where to store bicycle?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamsack

Reaction score
Hey all,<br>I've got a Ford E-150 hi-top conversion van and was wondering if storing my bicycle on a rack mounted on the outside of the back doors would blow stealth or create a security issue?<br><br>Is there a method of securing a bicycle outside of a van without the danger of the item being stolen?&nbsp; Thanks all.<br><br>

I'm in the same boat. I've been wondering if I can break the bike down and keep it inside.

I got lucky since I will be staying near my job for a while. I can keep it there. On my days off I plan to lock it up out side my van with 2 locks and maybe bring it back to my job at night, If not I plan to stand it across (inside)the doors at night, If Im sleeping it wont be in my way. If in the future I plan to move on I will get a folding one. Either 24" or 26" wheel one.&nbsp;

I had a folding bike for awhile that broke down and fit under the bed of the van. The bike was great but took up a ton of storage space. My current whip is a vintage fixie that gets locked on the rear rack with a heavy chain/lock combo. I tend to know people where I travel so the bike can usually stay in someones house too. Locking my bike to the back of my van doesn't blow my stealth ability (I don't think) due to the fact that I have a conversion van and not a windowless cargo van, which I think would look out of place. If I have to leave the van unattended I just lock the bike inside behind the privacy curtain. I am thinking of getting a dinghy (a 50cc scooter) which will live full time on a rear motorcycle rack. That, I think, will blow my stealth ability. hope this helps.

<i><b>Lots </b></i>of vehicles have bikes on bike carriers, bike racks, etc.<br>Look on craigslist for a used one. <br>You can get them that attach to roof racks, spare tire carriers, bumpers, ladders or a tow hitch.<br>If you already have a hitch dedicated to pulling something else -Harbor Freight has <a target="_blank" href="http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-hitch-extender-99591.html">a dual hitch thingy (part # 99591)</a> so you can still pull a trailer AND also have a bike carrier.<br>A little creativity and you can lock down the bike <i>to the vehicle</i>. <br><br>The main reasons I keep my Mountain Bike inside:<br>1. It's an $800 MTB, with $125 worth of add-ons - and looks it.<br>2. It's Aluminum, and has 21 gears that get knocked about easily.<br>3. Behind my Chevy - it'd get coated with gear oil, tranny drippings, be beat on by sun, rain and flying road debris (I'm off-road a lot)<br><br><br>

<p style="margin: 0px;">... another option is to use the rack, lock the bike, and use a cover over it to both keep weather and eyes off the bike - I traveled across the USA and back with a bike on the back of my van and never once was it messed with. Obviously anyone could cut through a cover, but removing the visual might help not attract the would be opportunistic thief in the first place.</p>

We have a pair of expensive bikes we keep on a hitch mounted rack. You can't stop a motivated thief, but you can make it so time-co summing as to make it more likely they'd get caught. A chain of case hardened steel and a security lock (shank can't be gotten by a bolt cutter): chain runs through frames and through hitch. Bikes are covered. Clean them regularly.

I've kept kayaks and bikes on top of vehicles for long stretches at a time. I'm more concerned about long term UV damage to the polyethylene boats than theft.<br><br>That said, it's because I take precautions. The kayaks have a steel loop or you can run the cable inside and through (around) the seat. The bikes? Even easier... frame. Yakima and Thule - bar none (pun intended) make the best rooftop racks. All are available with locks to secure them to your vehicle and most of the bike racks can have locking attachments as well.<br><br>I've come back to my car after parking near a resort area (Charleston? near the beach) to find the attachments loose on the bike and the ropes untied from the kayak. Both remained because of the locks. <br><br>Would this keep your stuff secure if you parked it in an out of the way place for days? No. Nothing will stop a determined thief. Like locks on a screen door, you only have to make the job a bit more difficult to deter most of the lowlife though.<br><br>Not too mention that the top of&nbsp; a full size van almost requires a small step ladder to get the stuff on and off. <br><br>Stealth? It would mark the cargo van as not purely commercial, sure. Would it indicate to anyone that you are boondocking? Absolutely not.<br><br>

Heidi and I also carry a couple quite spendy mountain bikes on back of the van. They have been there over two years and have never been a problem. Same basic deal as Seraphim. We use a Thule "Spare me" rack that hangs on the rear tire mount over the spare and has a built in lock. We also run heavy cable locks through both frames, wheels etc. The only issue I have ever had with them is the chain rusting if left alone long enough. I use Royal Purple wax lube instead of an oil based chain lube to keep dirt buildup down. Solution is going to be a couple Wipperman Conex SS chains and still use the same lube. The rest of the bikes are all SS and Aluminum.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>Hope that helps. When we finally get a kayak, it will go on top. We have found several solutions that will make that work out fine too even on the funky RT.</div>

I had a folding, electric bike w/20" tires that easily fits in the trunk of a small car.&nbsp; iZip EZGo&nbsp; $500.&nbsp; Sold it...wish I didn't. Can't buy it again for less than $700.&nbsp; There's a folding mountain bike for like $600 that's pretty good...&nbsp; Montague Paratrooper (or something like that).&nbsp; <br><br>Bikes hanging on the outside of the van draws too much attention to cops and thieves...IMO.<br><br>

We have found several solutions that will make that work out fine too even on the funky RT.
<BR><BR>We have yet to figure out how to get a canoe off and on the top of the GyrFalcon: too high, too old (us)&nbsp;and an AC unit in the way.&nbsp; Designed a creative frame on a pulley system once, but never got to the point I needed to attempt to build it, so I'm not sure it will actually work.<br><BR>Have to wait until we actually get a canoe instead of mooching one of my brother-in-law's. lol<BR><br><P>Our bike rack is made by Swagman. Can't use the standard style bike rack with our&nbsp;recumbents.</P>

I keep mine inside my small little van. I wouldnt feel comfortable with it on the outside. Does create a few space issues, but I usually can make it work. The worst part is taking it out at busy parking lots when I want to ride.&nbsp;

MK7 said:
There's a folding mountain bike for like $600 that's pretty good...&nbsp; Montague Paratrooper (or something like that).&nbsp; <br><br>Bikes hanging on the outside of the van draws too much attention to cops and thieves...IMO.<br><br>

I've been struggling with where to store my full-sized bicycle inside the van. Never thought about a folding bicycle. These appear to fold down to a width of about 12 inches, perfect for the cabinet space by the bed!

A little spendy, but something like this appears to be a great solution. Thank you for the suggestion!