Where to start?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pebble

Reaction score
Greetings everyone! As I am highly considering the van life, I figured I'd start here with an intro and a few questions..

Intro:
I am a 29 year old male living in Ohio where I've spent the majority of my life. I love to camp, hike, snowboard and kayak; essentially I love being outside. Most of all, I love the mountains and being in nature away from the human imprint. Ohio leaves much to be desired for someone like me. I've taken several trips west for short periods of time, which never seems to quench my desire to be out there. This is where the van life thing comes in. 

My tentative plan is to hit the road west when my apt lease is up in March 2022. In the meantime, I'm saving what I can and will be building my home on wheels (when I decide what vehicle best suits my needs.) When money runs low on the road, I plan to utilize food delivery services to keep me going. 

This is where I need guidance. I was originally looking at the 1st generation Ford Transit Connect for its affordability, size, and design. I'm starting to reconsider that vehicle based on reliability. 

I'm starting to think the vehicle I want doesn't exist, at least in the US. 
Camper van of my dreams:
-4x4 (not essential but would be great for getting to those hard to reach, remote areas)
-Affordable (at or under $10k before conversion)
-Reliable (Ultimately I want to drive to Alaska from the NW)
-Fuel efficient (see above)
-Roomy (I love the bench seat/bed design with storage/small kitchen, with the ability to sit upright inside)
-Compact (this will be my one and only vehicle for some time to come)
This is probably one of those things where you can pick 2 but can't have them all lol

I've thought about a roof top tent, but assume stealth camping would be impossible.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should look at getting to convert? Honestly any input regarding my vehicle or plans would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the CRVL forums pebble! I don't have any advice but with so many van owners on the forum, you should get some good answers!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

A lot will depend on your physical size. There is no vehicle that can do all you want in your price range. An old Chevy or GMC 4x4 pickup with a camper or topper meets most of the requirements except fuel economy, same with the Suburban except no standing room. The Suburban is nice to have in bear country as you can access the front seat and drive away without getting out of the vehicle. As long as you have room for a comfortable bed a tent, shower tent or screen room can give you standing room. Many single rock climbers live in pickups with toppers and some have really good designs but being physically small helps. Any 4x4 will get lower gas mileage especially when loaded with enough gear to full time. The best I ever got out of my 2013 Toyota Tacoma 4 cylinder 5 speed 4x4 was around 20 to 23 MPG empty and 14 MPG was the worst loaded. I sold it for $18,000 in 2019 with around 80,000 miles on it and I bet it is still retailing for more than $10,000 but that would be my second choice as it had a wedge topper and was built out for a bed with sliding drawers to extend the sleeping area beyond 6'. Stealth camping doesn't really exist except in some people's minds and really isn't necessary in all most all cases. Maybe an electric bicycle or scooter for food delivery and exploring. Going to remote areas it pays to keep vehicles simple and learn basic repairs. It also keeps labor costs down.

My Chevy City Express (Nissan NV200) has 140,000 miles on it and I would drive it anywhere. I was going to convert it but my wife doesn't want to piss in a pot. It would cover everything except 4 wheel drive.

Welcome to the forum, I hope your plans work out for you. Let us know how it goes.

Mechanically sound used Pickup 4x4 with a cheap used slide in camper is as cheap as you can go. You can't stand up in it especially if you use a topper instead of a slide in. Bucket for a bathroom and shower outside.

A 4x4 van will be more expensive, and would need to be high roof to stand up in if you are tall.

The best vehicle to start out in is what you have.
-crofter

crofter said:
 used slide in camper is as cheap as you can go. You can't stand up in it especially if you use a topper instead of a slide in. Bucket for a bathroom and shower outside.
ub
[quote pid='547025' dateline='1628991943']
I had a slide in...could easily stand up in it and it had a full bath, with a tub and a shower.
[/quote]

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! My current car is a BMW 3 series wagon which I plan to sell in the next month or 2 as its just way too small to turn into a camper.

Been looking into older pickups with a slide in camper, which sounds like the best of both worlds. I've also been looking at converting a Honda Element, which would be quite a stretch...

For reference, I am 5'8" 145lbs, therefore don't need anything too big. I honestly still really want a 1st generation Transit Connect, but keep telling myself I'll regret it as its FWD and keep hearing horror stories regarding reliability.

I live full-time in my Prius. I am single and have no pet living in it and there are times when I wish I had more space, but all-in-all, I have been satisfied for the past year. I do suggest that you prioritize your 'wants' and find some 'must-haves.' Your list is pretty full of wishful things; find the most important and work from there. I am a displaced Alaskan and have driven the Alaska Highway in both directions more than once; there are many things to be said about that. Get your vehicle and your "feet wet" here, first, before you tackle that trip. It's kind of like the Super Bowl of living in an RV.

Best of luck to you.