Where to park/camp in Big Sur (Highway 1 between Carmel and San Luis Obispo)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FALCON

Reaction score
Short Version: Anyone have advice on where to park overnight along Highway 1 between Carmel and San Luis Obispo? I'd like to spend a few weeks moving slowly down this stretch, but it looks like it could be difficult.

More Details:I'm traveling down the California coast. I've done some research and it seems this section of the coast is more scenic than the rest. Between Carmel and San Luis Obispo (S.L.O), there are only VERY small towns (ones that are basically just along the highway with very few streets off the highway. There are a lot of State Parks, but no Forests. So far, I've been parking in National Forests or in Towns/Cities.  It's harder on Highway 1 because there are only State Parks and the cities along some stretches are very very small. One city that is sizable is Davenport. But when I got there, I saw No Parking signs - about 4 per block. They've made it very clear that they don't want anyone who doesn't live there parking overnight. Sometimes I see people obviously camping just off the side of the road (there were a lot just north of Santa Cruz). I haven't tried this yet. I suppose I might, but I'm pretty sure it's not legal and carries some risk of the police accosting me about it.

To illustrate, I've attached a file where I've put my research. It contains good scenic spots for landscape photos (in orange I think) and towns that look big enough for me to park in overnight (in blue). The long stretch from Carmel to SLO has a TON of scenic spots, but no towns that look big enough.

So - for those who have traveled along this stretch, where did you sleep? Where do you recommend? I'd like to take my time on this stretch but I'm worried parking will be a hassle.

Attachments

• Big Sur -- Cool places - for Landscape Photos.xlsx
    56.2 KB · Views: 5
Most of the LEO's and park rangers will run you off.  Look for the surfing areas, because many locals show up real early and their vehicle will be there for a while.  I just stopped at any beach access, because I can always claim being tired and night blind.

Attachments

• jp photos 203.jpg
    jp photos 203.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
Do they run you off in the mornings, or late at night / in the middle of the night? Do they give people citations?

I was told they run you off during the night.  I did not have that experience.

Along most of the coast, if you are camping along the highway, you are in violation of the law and at the complete mercy of the local LEOs. They can slap you with a big ticket, give you a warning, tell you about the most scenic place to camp, or just flat out ignore you. With the steep terrain, secluded spots are few and far between.

The towns along the Big Sur coast are not really towns at all, just areas where the land flattens out just enough to squeeze in a lodge or convenience store. Don't plan on getting gas at Big Sur, the price is insane (2.5 times the average, even more during peak season). In fact, everything is insanely expensive in the area. Stock up beforehand.

When I drove through, I camped for the night in one of the pullouts off Willow Creek/Los Burros Road (Will Creek Road on Google Maps). Turn at the Treebones Resort. The spots fill up fast, but the scenery can't be beat (and its free). You can tent camp as well up there, its part of the Los Padres NF. There are other back roads that I can't tell you about. They are rugged, steep, and often impassable after a rain, which with the recent drought has not been that much of a problem. Camping may be extremely limited or nonexistent due to the terrain.

In the 70's I would pull off on this little dirt road on the left going south and follow it to the Military base remote gate and park there The MP's have stopped by and asked me questions, just told em i would be gone in the AM, they said OK.

Thanks for the advice guys.

And - wow, don't I feel stupid -- I didn't realize that this big stretch of land around Big Sur was a National Forest (Part of Los Padres). I had assumed it was State Park.

And now I also see how big that fire is/was. Well, I guess I'll have places to camp when I come back in however many years :-(

I need to remember to use this map:
https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4....le.com/site/gmap4source/txt/USApublicland.txt

When I drove that road, the view was West, not East.  It is a drive that was a huge one on my bucket list. Not to be missed.

You will be looking over the ocean, not the sheer cliffs next to you.

I visited my dad out there a few months ago. The shear number of full timing vehicle dwellers would make it impossible to run everybody off. Curbside at Stanford university is one prime example among many other prominent locations. I know that's not the coast but it illustrates the scope of the scene out there. In essence nobody is stealth camping in that part of the state and hasn't been for years.

If it was my trip, i'd take the chance and keep taking it every night until i'd had my fill. YMMV. Enjoy!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

I love San Simeon State Park the Washburn area uts dry camping at $18/nite. Access to water dump etc, plenty hiking & walk to beach.
LilNomad

I have parked along Hwy1 all over this stretch dozens of times without incident. Ymmv. One legal spot that comes to mind is old coast road, the dirt road that splits off hwy1 at Bixby Bridge.

My thumbnail photo is on this stretch, just north of the Timber Top trailhead. I parked there for a couple nights last year and was not bothered.

I've driven Old Coast Road. Much of it runs through a private ranch and is posted and patrolled against trespassers. Please choose your spot wisely.