Where to go south (from NJ)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenh

Reaction score
Hi All,
Not quite retired yet, but I want to take a run somewhere south (WARM) from NJ over 10 day Christmas break. I don't want to spend days driving. Any suggestions where I can go? I want to camp, have a nice fire outside, but sleep in my van. (A little practice before full timing). I have Mr. Buddy, some solar and good blankets.... :D :D :D Jen H

Well....... let's see...... there are winter weather warnings out for the areas from Mississippi North.......

Looks like the Carolina Coastal areas are warm though.

Have you tried looking on freecampsites.net ? They have a pretty cool mapping layout. When you find a spot that looks good you can check the weather forecast.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

I'm in southern Kentucky right now. High of 32 degrees today and low of 13 degrees tonight. I'd look further south and closer to the coast

If I were you I'd skip all the way down to Florida, Osceola or Ocala NF. We've been getting some cold snaps here in the Carolinas.

For the amount of time you have just head down 95 till you hit somewhere warm . Then Freecampsites to find a place to hang.

USExplorer said:
If I were you I'd skip all the way down to Florida, Osceola or Ocala NF. We've been getting some cold snaps here in the Carolinas.

I second going to Florida.  I am also from New Jersey and have made the trip numerous times in two days.  I have stayed in both of the above parks and liked them both very much.  Also Jetty Park at Cape Canaveral and Sebastian Inlet both offer beach camping.  If I leave between 3-4AM I can make it to South Carolina by the afternoon and have time to relax, then leave right after breakfast and I can be at Jetty park by dinner time.