Where to camp near Tucson, Arizona?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 36413

Reaction score
Hey Y'all!

After the RTR/Big Tent events I plan to head to Tucson, AZ for a few days up to a week to visit with some family there. Motels prices are nuts this time of year there so I will probably be camping someplace nearby. I am looking for suggestions for free or low cost camping near Tucson if anyone has any recommendations, please let me know.

I used to live there from 1973 to 1984 or so. Graduated from Santa Rita HS!

I grew up as an Air Force Brat and then joined the Army when I was in my 20's so I have lived in many states in the US including Alaska and Hawaii. I never expected to end up in Myrtle Beach, SC. It's nice here but so hot in the summer and humid too. Also, way too many hurricanes for me.

If I should outlive my wife which seems likely now, I will probably move and maybe to Southern New Mexico or possibly even Eastern Arizona. Someplace not too hot or too cold or too many natural disasters, LOL and with a place to park an RV. (I hope to buy one after I move).

Anyway, enough about me and my dreams, where to camp near Tucson, AZ?

Looks like there is some nice dispersed camping by Redington Pass which is east of Tucson. Also, I will be in a Minivan so I could probably just stealth camp if I am not there for more than a night or so per stealth location.

1673017589254.png

Depends on where you want to visit in the city as it is really pretty spread out. BLM, National Forest, State Trust Land and even some cheap pay spots with showers like Gilbert Ray if you can get an open spot just over Gates Pass. Empire Ranch if you like the grasslands and don’t mind an hour or so drive.

If you just need a place to park overnight, I'd suggest the Tucson Truck Terminal...we call it the Triple T. It's at I-10 and Craycroft Road.

Plenty of room to park a van or RV, and they have gas, food, a c-store, showers, etc. It's a BUSY place so it's noisy. But I sleep better with some level of background noise. It's not camping, it's an overnight stay.

There is a little Mexican fast food place across the road, on the east side. Pretty good burritos!

If you need to kill a few hours, the Pima Air and Space Museum is well worth a vist and its only about a mile from the Triple T.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/T...fa916f7c9f228!8m2!3d32.1271141!4d-110.8760645

Last edited:
There is a BLM office in Tucson. You can go there. They can help you put Avenza on your phone and add the area maps onto it. Those maps will work on a gps enabled phone or tablet even when you do not have a signal. You can ask about the dispersed camping locations in all the areas that district covers. They will also have very nice paper maps for sale.

Triple Ty’s apple pie ala mode is outstanding. Don’t order anything else, you won’t have room.

Early last year, the wife and I stayed in Marana, off Silverbell rd. Not a bad area, easy to drive to. Cell service was OK.

We have spent many weeks in the Tucson Mtn Park area and always stay at Gilbert Ray CG when we are able. Last year at this time was only $21/night for 30 amp (no water hookups, only common spigots for jugs) and is just a beautiful campground with gorgeous scenery. Can only book no more than 7 consecutive nights max, however.

If you'd rather do free, there are 2 BLM spots by Tucson Estates (32.157500,-111.116199 and 32.1611630, -111.1037389). They are right off the highway with absolutely no privacy but conveniently located to the city and supplies.

He arrived in Pirate Camp......only spent a couple days here before he felt Sick......Headed for family in Tucson

He had poor internet signal during his short stay

Lots of sickness in Arizona right now with all the snow birds and activities drawing people from all over the world. Flu, Covid, RSV and regular old Valley Fever are keeping the Urgent Care centers and hospitals busy so I’m still social distancing as much as possible. One round of “mild” Covid was enough for me! Lol!!!