where to buy deep cycle batteries

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half_Pint

Reaction score
Is batteries plus a good place to go and if not where is? Also Where the heck can I get the good heavy duty wire I am going to need?

Google "battery distributor" plus your general regional location.<br><br>If 6v batteries, sams, costco, or even golf courses might have pallets delivered and can get some more on their next order.<br><br>12v deep cycles are difficult to acquire. &nbsp;Marine/RV/ trolling batteries are hybrids, but trolling batteries might, in some cases, be true deep cycles. In general true 12v deep cycles are 20 to 30% more $$$. &nbsp;If you are new to living from battery power, consider your first set of batteries to be learner batteries, which you will abuse to an early death. &nbsp;In such a case some Marine batteries can last just as long as Deep Cycles, but if you are able to promptly and fully recharge them, then deep cycles will give you longer better service.<br><br>Trojan, Crown, Deka all make true 12v deep cycles. &nbsp;You might be able to find distributors on their websites.<br><br>Best is to get a fresh battery as they have shelf lives, and few retailers bother to recharge them. &nbsp;They will self discharge 7 to 15% each month at 75f, So after 6 weeks or so, they are being damaged by sitting under 80% charged<br><br>Avoid batteries on special for this reason. &nbsp;They are old and sulfated with reduced capacity and lifespan even before purchase.<br><br>&nbsp;

another stupid n00b question I know that there is something that I need so that I can keep track of the charge in my batteries and whatnot but I have no idea what I need to do this... What do I need?

&nbsp;At the Abbotsford Costco I picked up a new 12v deep cycle 110 AH (or is it 120 AH.. can't remember) for $50. Pretty large battery and the same one (different sticker) costs $100 at Wally World, $160 at Canadian Tire. ..Willy.