where to buy butane fuel

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twokniveskatie

Reaction score
if you know of places to buy the cans of butane fuel that go in the portachef types of stoves, please list it here. include states/towns if you can....not every chain seems to carry it in every state. 

The flea markets in the Slabs at Niland, CA had it last year when I was there. The flea markets here in Quartzsite have the 4 pack for $5. Amazon.com used to sell them, I assume they still do. Bob<br>

Hate to thread necro but had to thank VanFan for cluing me in on Ace Mart. &nbsp;I was passing through Austin today and bought a case of 12, 8oz butane cans for $19.80. &nbsp;Can't find these at any outdoors stores I've been too. &nbsp;A lady at Ace Mart said I can probably find these at Lowes or Home Depot as well as these cans are also used for a certain kind of torch. &nbsp;I'll have to verify that.

<p>I had one of those stoves in 2004.&nbsp; When I returned in 2007 I was told it was no longer legal, and had to get a propane stove.&nbsp; Maybe that is just in certain States.&nbsp; I was in the north east at the time.<br /><br />At home I still use butane all the time.&nbsp; It is a much more stable set up than the propane stoves.<br /><br />Lifey</p>

bottom dollar tools in Trenton, Ga, just off I59 carries both the stoves and 4 pks of the fuel under the Gasone namebrad. I know that is where Khyron's came from. ;-)

I use the butane stove for cooking during warmer months...&nbsp; It's not much good during the cold months.<br /><br />To buy some cans, try<br /><br />1) Amazon<br />2) Menards or other home improvement / hardware&nbsp;stores<br />3) Oriental grocery stores<br /><br />The prices sort of fall from low to high in that order.&nbsp; If the weather is warmer (above 40) you can get more heat out of the butane type stove.&nbsp; It does a fantastic job for quickly cooking veggies and searing meat in a stir fry.&nbsp; On the downside, I've burned eggs too easily with butane.&nbsp; :/&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <br /><br />Brad aka V.T.

this is exactly whats wrong with butane.&nbsp; not readily available, &nbsp;out in the sticks its impossible to find.&nbsp; plus like van trekker states not much use in cold weather,&nbsp; also not much use at high altitude.&nbsp; unless you have a butane stove already i would not buy one.&nbsp; highdesertranger

Is there a particular well known brand name for butane cans of fuel? Similar to Coleman for propane cannisters?&nbsp;I don't mind paying more for a "trusted" brand if such is available.&nbsp; Thanks, Casey

Some of the sporting good stores like Academy caries them.<br><br>James AKA Lynx