Where Most of Group will be - Arizona (September-October)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exhale@Last

Reaction score
Hello All, 
I will be traveling out on my own to Arizona in mid September and would like to find a good spot to boondock(with shade) for about 3 weeks - month. I don't know what's available between Temecula, California and Flagstaff, Az. If anyone can make suggestions where I can go and pitch a tent that would be great!
Thanks,
Pearl

Which of your two questions is more important? Where will we be? Or camping btwn Flagg & CA?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

not a lot of shade in the desert. with the 14 day limit you will need to move a couple of times. highdesertranger

If it were me, I'd take the scenic back roads to Prescott, Sedona AZ and onto Flagstaff; the day temps should be manageable during September for Prescott/Sedona. Not a fast way however beautiful.

Its too hot to be most places right now. I wont go to LHC until November, even October is hot sometimes. I just got off the phone w a friend in Yuma was 115 today! Yuk

simply lesa said:
Which of your two questions is more important? Where will we be? Or camping btwn Flagg & CA?

Hi Lisa, sorry for slow response, my father passed and was busy with service. I really would like to know where most of the group is now until moving to Quart site. I'm a bit nervous about traveling alone(must do it). Also if there is anyone I can meet-up with near Temecula and caravan together to Arizona?
I will be traveling by car and tent camping g until I can afford a RV. Will be traveling around 9/15. Thanks,
Pearl

My condolences for your loss.

I am just curious about what you mean by "most of the group." Is that in reference to a specific gathering that's taking place?

CityWoman said:
My condolences for your loss.

I am just curious about what you mean by "most of the group." Is that in reference to a specific gathering that's taking place?

No, this is my first time and have never met anyone in the Van dwellers group. I sent a message to Bob last month, he advise to send message on forum and people will response to current local. I would like to start my journey connecting with others. It doesn't even have to be Arizona. I would prefer meeting up with others to camp out in a cool place until it cools down in Arizona, I just don't know where good boondocks places are. Can't do campgrounds right now. 

So what I would like to know, is anyone out there that would like to travel together meet-up somehow??

We're in Iowa ATM, camping coe campgrounds. Will depart IA first week in Oct. Then start to head to Colorado for a week or two and then AZ after that. What's state are you starting in?

Im having a GTG (Get To Gether) in NE AZ early October. Great for newbies heading out for Quartzsite.

Wabbit said:
We're in Iowa ATM, camping coe campgrounds. Will depart IA first week in Oct. Then start to head to Colorado for a week or two and then AZ after that. What's state are you starting in?

I'm in Southern California. Sounds like I better find someplace else to camp until mid October.

simply lesa said:
Im having a GTG (Get To Gether) in NE AZ early October.  Great for newbies heading out for Quartzsite.

That sounds great! I will be on the lookout for your update. Thanks and take care.
Pearl

CautionToTheWind said:
If it were me, I'd take the scenic back roads to Prescott, Sedona AZ and onto Flagstaff; the day temps should be manageable during September for Prescott/Sedona. Not a fast way however beautiful.

Prescott might be ok in the shade during the daytime, but Sedona is not. It is still VERY hot here, high 90's low 100's. The evenings are cooling off nicely now, so the temps are fine for sleeping. At this time you really still need to be in Flag and other higher elevations. Unfortunately we recently had the weather folks tell us it is going to be unseasonably warm straight through November this year. Given that daytime temps are usually in the 80's here in the Verde Valley at that time, it's not going to be a pleasant fall. Anyone planning their fall in AZ should definitely check out the weather projections before arriving here.

Just in case you didn't hear about this resource, here's a link to one of the places I visit to find places to camp at.

https://freecampsites.net

Not always correct, but its a decent place to start for me. Best of luck!

I regularly travel between Orange County, CA and Mohave Valley, AZ. not that, that will do you any good. but if the timing works out I could get you that far. highdesertranger

Exhale: There really is no "place where most everyone is".... well, unless there is and nobody tells me about it!   :D
some people may get together and travel to different places.  And you can and will find a group of people to hang out with if that's what you want and if you are patient.  

I personally like to travel by myself, and get together with others when it sounds like a good idea.  I'm still new at this and am learning. 

It looks like what "simply lesa" is planning would be a great idea for a newbie. 

I highly recommend this lifestyle, and hope you find it as rewarding as I do.  

Pat

The place to be right now in Arizona is usually Flagstaff. September is usually just about right, starting to cool off but not too cold yet.

Go to Flagstaff and it's likely others will join you.

We have been in Flagstaff for 2 weeks, and the temps couldn't be more ideal (in my opinion). High of 75, cools off nicely in the evenings. Still very warm to the south, as others mentioned. Flag has many options, from fully-shaded Ponderosa Pine forest, to open meadow at lower elevation. There is quite an explosion of wildflowers here! Good luck.

Pearl,

What do you have in your car for all the camping you need to do?

I will be starting in just a car myself and am only beginning to

decide what is necessary, no room for non essentials!

It's about a seven hour drive from Temecula to Flagstaff. It can be done in one day. It's desert, with very little shade and too much heat until you're well east of Kingman, like at Seligman. I would say to just make it in one jump. Start early, like before sunrise, get through as much of the desert as you can before the day warms up, get up into the higher AZ elevations before dark so you can find a place and settle in. A-1 Mountain Road, just west of Flagstaff, at exit 190 from I-40 is a popular vandweller boondocking spot.

Latest posts