Where is the best place to buy my first propane tank?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
interesting, I have never seen propane sold by the pound, only by the gallon. highdesertranger

Pricing is quoted by gallon.

They **fill** based off the scales out back.

The autogas self-service has accurate liquid metering built into the pumps.

$1.69 a gallon is 40¢ a pound.

65¢ a pound is $2.73 a gallon.

4.2 pounds per gallon, lots lighter than water, except you need a bit heavier tank.

Autogas I believe has the (supposed to be) road maintenance taxes factored in.

The places that have a fixed price per the size of your bottle don't need to use a scale, just fill until the bleeder valve sputters liquid.

That's 80% of the theoretically maximum Full point, illegal to fill beyond that point.

But then you want to make sure you're empty first, whereas places that charge based precisely on only what you need, you can top up partial bottles anytime without being penalized.

Maths! Makes my head hurt.

Thanks John. Now I can shop around for a better price.

Two places I get the 30# tanks filled use weight and charge by the pound. Both are gas station/convenience store types of places.

One other place I go to is a propane company and they charge by the gallon and the hose there has a gauge similar to a gasoline pump.

Either way I only pay for what they add to the tank. And all three places I have brought tanks in mostly empty, but not quite, and been only charged for the amount they added.

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

After I exchange my beat-up found in the trash Bar-B-Que and get a refurbished bottle. A local propane dealer will fill them to 20 pounds actual weight. You will get a different amount of propane by the gallon. Propane expands and contracts a lot by temperature. If i bought a new bottle, I would also keep a old one, if I ever need an exchange rather than fill.

A propane distributor can only fill a propane tank until the OPD valve shuts.  If you find one that accepts 20# before shutoff, great.  Never exchange it.  My 20# tank will fill to 19.6# before the valve shuts.

Liquid propane weighs 4.23 lbs per gallon.  If the pounds and gallons don't match either the gallons meter is off or the propane temperature is below -43ºC.

Spaceman Spiff said:
A propane distributor can only fill a propane tank until the OPD valve shuts.
That is 80% capacity

> If you find one that accepts 20# before shutoff, great. Never exchange it.  My 20# tank will fill to 19.6# before the valve shuts.

Doing that has been illegal for a long time, and for very good reasons, most dealers won't. The inspection date stamp on DOT type bottles will also stop you at some point. Either no OPD is present or it's broken.

To all: exchange such a tank for one with the safety protection, unless you know exactly what you're doing and keep it outside all the time.

I have had many OPD bottles filled at propane distributor that offers the service. I did check the weights back in the beginning. They all had 20 pounds of propane, that is 20 pounds over the empty weight. I paid for 20 pounds of propane. The tanks were filled with 20 pounds of propane. Nothing illegal. Nothing cheated. Na Da. It does all depend on the bottle's stamped WC weight. That is the water capacity in pounds. Stamped WC 47.6 or above, the bottle will hold 20 pounds of propane.

Yes designed with the 20% empty for expansion, to prevent (too much) excess-venting from the pressure relief valve as temps rise.

Actually, the precise amount you can safely fit also does vary a bit by temperature, both tank and ambient, cooler means more will fit before triggering the OPD.

Thus this issue is more critical in Arctic conditions.

Note also not all 20# tanks have the same TARE weight, see the "T.W." number stamped on the collar of your bottle.

When using a scale to measure, the formula for Full is tare weight + 20 lbs

Most places just set for 37 or 38, not the precise measurement of **your** tank.

Latest posts