Where I'm at...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hesitate to encourage people to make a major change without a great deal of thought. If the change turns out to be the wrong thing for them, then I am the bad guy for encouraging a bad move.

That being said, I hope the very best for you, and if I can assist you in any way, I would be Happy to help.

It's gotta be rare to find a social worker who feels happy about their job after a couple decades. The problem is that most jobs require being plugged into a system built upon government regulations, budget restrictions, paperwork and big bureaucracy. Couple that with a jaded workforce and a clientele that never seems to get "better", it's not hard to see how the ideals that initially inspire a person to want to serve and make a difference get worn and frayed.

But after you take a break from it for a while, if you find that you still have a passion for that type of work, keep your eye out for opportunities with faith based and privately funded organizations...they can provide an chance to actually accomplish something while working around people who actually want to be there for reasons that don't start and end with a paycheck. Maybe you could even find work as mobile outreach to fit your new lifestyle :)

Hope things go smoothly for you

DannyB1954 said:
I hesitate to encourage people to make a major change without a great deal of thought. If the change turns out to be the wrong thing for them, then I am the bad guy for encouraging a bad move.

That being said, I hope the very best for you, and if I can assist you in any way, I would be Happy to help.

Me too!

Yogidog said:
Excellant we are tripping over ourselves to help u :) I was just going to say what self contained is :) I appreciate that some of us forum members don't want to push this on anyone, and for those that are ready and know they are ready, they go full steam ahead, yay u!

Absolutely!   I hope I didn't give the impression that I wasn't grateful for the explanations about what it meant to be self contained!  I was just trying to clarify is all!  Thank you all for your encouraging words!!!!

DannyB1954 said:

Thank you, Danny!  You are not the bad guy for speaking your opinion...we are allowed to think and feel however we do!  I also would never blame anyone formy decisions, so no need to worry there!

Since I got promoted a few weeks ago, I have been putting in 10-12 hours days, 5-6 days/week. It's been a roller coaster. Glad to have off tomorrow...fingers crossed no one calls off!

Off to bed!

This morning, i decided to go outside barefoot in the grassy area of my apartment complex and just breathe. Laid on the ground and looked at the trees and the sky and the sun shinning through the leaves. Been here 8 years and never did that. Didn't care what anyone may have thought. Tears started streaming down my face. Connecting with myself, and with nature. Longing for a simpler life, missing my nieces and nephew, wanting more connection,and thinking about my own childhood.

BradKW said:
It's gotta be rare to find a social worker who feels happy about their job after a couple decades. 

But after you take a break from it for a while, if you find that you still have a passion for that type of work, keep your eye out for opportunities with faith based and privately funded organizations...they can provide an chance to actually accomplish something while working around people who actually want to be there for reasons that don't start and end with a paycheck. Maybe you could even find work as mobile outreach to fit your new lifestyle   :)

Hope things go smoothly for you

I missed this post until now.  Yes, Brad you obviously understand.  I actually work for a 'for profit' hospital organization.  God, I feel sick even thinking about that.  I get paid from a business that makes money off people who are at their worst.  What does that say about me?  Our motto is some bull shit about providing excellent patient care, but words are cheap.

Those are some great ideas... I have had the similar thoughts that once removed from this environment I might be able to find other opportunities with organizations that share the mission of actually helping people and not just paying lip service to the idea.

I've even thought about doing home health care work while living in a van.  Assisting someone in their home and providing companionship sounds enjoyable to me.  I have also thought about childcare.  It's been interesting to see what other interests I have pop up once money is out of the equation and knowing that I can support myself with lowering my housing costs.

I have been feeling called out west, specifically AZ. Initially, I will likely spend the winter months there and find part time or temporary work. I see myself spending summers visiting family when the kids are off school.

Since I'm committed here until March 31, my adventure will begin in the spring. While I really want to attend the RTR in January, that puts pressure on me finding a vehicle sooner than I'm comfortable with. I see myself pushing through work until the end of January. At that, or sooner, I will request a PT position so I can focus on buying a vehicle and getting rid of the larger pieces of furniture. I'd like to do that now, but most of my energy is being zapped by my job and I need my free time to recover.

Worse comes to worse, I go part time sooner than later, which is also likely. If one more person quits I may be following suit.

It feels good to have an exit plan from the rat race. It feels good to acknowledge that there is a rat race that I've blindly followed, but no longer have to. My eyes are being opened to new ideas and to seeing the structuresame that have been put in place by the powers that be. As George Carlin said, in order to live the American dream you have to be asleep.

I'm waking up!

michele0203 said:
I get paid from a business that makes money off people who are at their worst.  What does that say about me? 

The thing is that you did not create their problem but are trying to help them deal with a problem that they came to you with. Helping desperate or needy people isn't easy. Today I was helping a mechanic friend with his heavy workload. Talk about desperate needy people, let a poor person's car break down. Some people play it like they are broke, but they can afford to do all the pleasurable things they enjoy. 

Seems like people expect you to work for free because you know how to do what they need, but these same people don't go around helping other people for free doing what they know how to do. People know how to pull weeds, but they don't go around pulling everybody's weeds for free.   I don't have a problem with a business charging for services rendered. Including medical. If the clinic did not make money, it would not be there and people in need would be screwed. Sorry, can't afford to help you.

OMG! The closer I get to really quitting, the more freaked out I get. This is such a risk. Nothing lost nothing gained? Something like that. I'm going through all the 'what ifs' what if I get sick, what if I never can make a dollar again, what if I stay in my current situation and c regret years later not taking this risk, and many, many more.

True I did not create their problem. However, I don't believe that the services we provide are of significant enough value and therefore i feel like we're being fraudulent. On top of it, I'm losing sleep and my health is suffering. I've got one more follow up test and if that comes back clear, I'm handing in my notice. I know it's the right thing to do but I'm still scared shitless to step outside the box!

Michelle, hi:) I hear u on the job. I commited myself to writing honestly on the day to day stuff out here. And right now the two new woman are saying, this is not what I expected! They both said they will write about it but we are all busy surviving the heat right now:) 

They are both saying they thought it would be much easier and especially in the beginning it is hard!

Anyway I'll support and help any decision u makebut just wanted u to have info to help decide.

Thanks yogidog, I definitely need to consider the pros/cons. Thank you for advising me about the women who are struggling currently adapting to this lifestyle. I do look forward to hearing about their journeys when they're able. Thank you also for getting it about the job. I know you've been there, too.

I know I'm in the minority about how I feel about this job situation or at least in the minority about how deeply it effects me at my core being. That goes back to my initial opening statement about being a highly sensitive person, for which, I don't apologize. I am still working on fully accepting that characteristic instead of my usual attempt at changing myself to fit whatever or whomever I am 'supposed' to be at any given moment. Really, so much wasted energy better spent elsewhere. Sigh.

I've been vascilating back and forth so much. (Not exactly uncommon for me, but unnerving nonetheless. )
I'm back to thinking about going to PRN at my current job so at least I will still have some income and also more free time to focus on myself and what I want out of life and the best means of achieving it.
It may be more prudent to 'practice' vandwelling in my current area before heading out west. And that would mean starting in April in Chicagoland which will still be cold but manageable for me. My body temp runs hot and I am always hot when others are cold.
Getting a membership at PF for showers and boondocking. The town I live in now only prohibits street parking between 2a-5a. There's Wal mart and other stores as well as hospital garages and train stations are $1.50 per day. Plus some free camp sites a little bit away for when I have longer stretches of time off.

At least, that's where I'm at today.

I so enjoyed reading this. I love (and respect) the honesty with which you've written about yourself, your life and your nomadic dream. I can so sympathize with much of what you say about the up and down emotional roller coaster of it all. I have been through the same thing for years now. In my situation (which you can read more about on my blog) I actually can't make this change right now, but I am working very hard to get to the point where I can. I committed to do something every single day toward my goal, both to accomplish it faster and to keep myself inspired. I too have had many sleepless nights wondering if I'm nuts. Then I come here, read these posts and realize, no I'm not crazy, just in need of change.

My greatest fear is urban stealth living. I honestly don't know if I could do it, so I don't really plan to except for maybe a night or 2 here and there while traveling. I am a tree hugging nature girl, lol...so the BLM lands call to me loud and clear.

Looking forward to reading more about your journey!

Mindy Lee, thank you so much for such a validating response! I am putting myself out there in an authentic way. It's a bit of a risk because let's face it, who really likes to be judged. But I really long for deeper connection with myself and others and in order to do so, I have to present myself as authentically as I can, as well as how safe a situation feels to me. I think I feel rather anonymous here although if I referred my coworkers or family here they'd likely spot me.

Being authentically me is my passion and desire...I'm often still finding out who I am, actually. I imagine that this will be a lifelong journey and I am now seeing how exciting this can be. I highly value personal growth!

(I love your profile image btw! Is that your art work? I've just checked out your blog and I see that we have a lot in common regarding concerns /obstacle to the nomadic lifestyle. So glad to have connected with you!)

Michele, no the profile pic is just a lovely piece of art I found online one day. I wish I knew who the artist was because I really love it. I really embrace and celebrate my Native American heritage.

I think finding out who we are is a lifelong process and we grow and evolve in some way or the other our whole lives. Being authentic is vital, IMO...because otherwise relationships end up more complicated than they need to be. At least, that's been my experience.

Hey I see u are in Chicago land, I will be camping the summer in Michigan if u wanted to come up and will be coming through Chicago in may, if u are still there and not traveling the world in a van, hehe, we could meet up.

Yogidog said:
Hey I see u are in Chicago land, I will be camping the summer in Michigan if u wanted to come up and will be coming through Chicago in may, if u are still there and not traveling the world in a van, hehe, we could meet up.

Ha!  Yeah I doubt I will be a world van traveler by May!!!!
That would be awesome yogidog!  I may very well still be in Chicago in May...the weather should be nice. I've been wanting to explore more of Michigan....I will definitely keep this in mind!!!  Thank you!!!  My first invite!  (Outside of Bob, of course! )

Latest posts