Where do you do your vehicle maintenance?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not necessarily true, if you charge from your stock alternator the draw can kill it.
A high output alternator puts out more at idle making for better charging w/o having to drive any miles.
I'd rather start my engine and let it charge for a bit than toting a generator around with me and lugging it out to use.
I will add a solar panel at some point, but initially I'll be dependent on alternator charging.
Either way, it's nice to have alternator charging as an option.
That's my case anyway, my battery is 176AH.

If you a couple of standard LA batteries you won't have a big problem with charging from the alternator, the problem is with a bank of Lithiums.

Since I have 3 Battleborns they could draw as much 150 amps at a time to charge. 50 amps per battery. My current plan is to run the generator for at least an hour before starting the engine. I do have a BIM (battery isolation module) that is designed to protect the Alternator from burning out.

With the Battleborns, do they require a DC-DC charger or can they charge directly from the alternator?
My batteries require a DC-DC charger, the one I got is a 50 amp charger so it can place up to a 50 amp load on my alternator
Kisae DMT-1250

There is no free power. Everything has a lifespan. Every individual has different power needs but in general less power usage is better. Fewer moving parts means cheaper in most cases. Solar has almost no moving parts. Generators have fewer more efficient moving parts than vehicles. If your power system fails or wears out which would you be able to replace, your solar system, your generator or your vehicle? If you plan on doing this full time for years it seems pretty straight forward to me.

No they don't, according to Battleborn, if you 3 or more lithiums you run the risk of burning up your alternator when charging them. Each BB will take up to a 50 amp charge apiece. 2=100 amps, 3=150 amps ect.

They do recommend using either a BIM or a DC to DC charger to help protect the alternator for burning up. The alt has to charge the staring battery plus handle any other load you have, i.e. Air Conditioner, Heater, etc. The charging profiles on a Lithium battery is different then a Lead Acid battery.

A LA battery will limit its charge based on how much it needs, a Lithium will take a full charge for the whole cycle.

The BIM I installed will first check to see if the Lithiums need to be charged and then will charge for 15 minutes, shut off for 20 minutes, allowing time for the alt to cool down, and then will cycle on and off again until the batteries for full. And the BIM will also allow the solar or generator or shore power to charge my stating battery as well.

I have both solar (400 watts) a generator, and the alternator to charge with.

Freelander said:
And the BIM will also allow the solar or generator or shore power to charge my stating battery as well.

That is a worthwhile feature. What brand/model do you have?

bullfrog said:
There is no free power. Everything has a lifespan. Every individual has different power needs but in general less power usage is better. Fewer moving parts means cheaper in most cases. Solar has almost no moving parts. Generators have fewer more efficient moving parts than vehicles. If your power system fails or wears out which would you be able to replace, your solar system, your generator or your vehicle? If you plan on doing this full time for years it seems pretty straight forward to me.

I don't care, this is getting off topic. Regardless this isn't about how best to charge your batteries, or generator pros & cons. I don't have a generator nor will I be buying a generator, so it can be a 1000 times better than my alternator and I still won't buy one. I don't have room for it!

Mods need to move these posts to a new thread, I didn’t even realize I was posting in a thread about where to do maintenance. My apologies.

Ha, s'all good man, started derailing before you posted lol

I have to agree with Maki on this. unless you are driving for hours and hours EVERYDAY those super expensive alternators are a waste of money.

highdesertranger