Where do you do your vehicle maintenance?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Todo

Reaction score
In trying to stay as self reliant as possible, and save money, my tools will be coming with me when I hit the road.
Aside from being able to handle a breakdown I'll do my own oil changes but it occurred to me, where the heck would I be able to do so w/o raising eyebrows?
So I was just curious, for those that do your own out on the road, or other maintenance, where have you done such?
Granted I have seen some major repairs going on in the parking lots of AutoZones, many auto parts stores I've seen have signs posted no vehicle work allowed.

Uncle Todo said:
I'll do my own oil changes but it occurred to me, where the heck would I be able to do so w/o raising eyebrows?
So I was just curious, for those that do your own out on the road, or other maintenance, where have you done such?

Rest areas,usually. Or a wide pullout. Some are very remote with little traffic passing by.

Sometimes you will get offers of help from people who think you're broke down.

I usually take extra measures like using a tarp under the car and recycling fluids as well as insuring the tasks get done as quickly as possible. No leaving it on jack stands over night.

Yeah, I've got a thick, 9 or 11 mil, tarp for putting down, and one of those drain pans that's sealed so I can tote it off to dispose of w/o spills.
I also have some swimming pool cover bags. I worked at a swimming pool company a few years ago, when the autocover fabric gets replaced it's sent in a nice heavy coated bag which they usually toss. I kept a couple for putting down while working under cars. Makes asphalt a hole lot more tolerable on palms and knees.

I actually just got a new drain pan, my previous one didn't really seal to well, and I like the nice compact size of this one. Plus holds enough if I change engine and trans fluids.
https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-g...e-boss-height-adjustable-drain-pan/721214_0_0

I use a mechanics vinyl covered 1” thick foam pad that folds in half which is a little smaller than a folded up lawn chair and buy a bag of micro fiber towels at Sam’s club. They grab sticks and leaves so watch where you lay them!

Once outside populated areas, you could work on a vehicle just about anywhere.

I just switched out my transmission pan in a community centre parking lot over the weekend that was closed for business.

Was careful not to make a mess and had cardboard down for drips and one of those really big oil change fluid tray things to ensure nothing got spilled.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Put a new starter in my Chevy van in a Wal-Mart parking lot in Naples Fl. last mon.

Retired military folks can take advantage of the "Auto Craft Shops" located on most military bases. You pay a small hourly fee and get to use all their tools, lifts, engine hoists, etc. Another huge advantage is the retired military Motor Sergeant that usually runs the place; if you get stuck on a procedure, there will be many folks to help. I did a transmission fluid change at the San Diego Marine Recruit Depot and AutoZone delivered the parts right to the shop! Usually charge low fees for overnight and up to 30 days storage. Policies differ at each military post, naturally.
The Auto Craft Shop at China Lake isn't a favorite as they have no indoor facilities, lots of blowing sand outside...........

I usually do oil/filter changes in the WalMart parking lot using waste cardboard to protect the pavement from spills and me from the hot/cold/dirty pavement. Pour the used oil back into the now empty oil jug and recycle right there at WalMart....easy-peasy! For larger jobs requiring unknown parts, ask the auto parts store folks if you can park around back and wrench. I've never been turned down if I ask first. The big plus is when you find you need a part, simply walk around front and buy/order it.

The NAPA at Lone Pine had no problem with me in their back lot for two days doing a major tune-up. Sleeping in the van while working there. Great folks!

Does anyone here carry spare parts with them?

I have considered carrying a spare alternator with me. I have 3 Battleborn batteries and I believe a 145 amp alternator under the hood.

I have heard stories about how the factory alternators not being able to handle the load of charging Lithium batteries. I have found a 250 amp and a 370 amp replacements on Amazon, and I been thinking about buying just to carry with me.

Freelander, what are you driving?
In my Astro a newer factory style high output is a direct fit. I bought one from Advance Auto but yet to replace it.
If they don't take my old one as a core, I'll probably keep it as a spare.
The upgrade one is a 145 amp, but much higher at idle than stock.
Also as well you may want to look at doing the Big Three upgrade on your vehicle for your charging system.
Typically this is for audio applications, but worth doing for better charging as well IMO.
It's running heavy gauge cables from alternator+ to battery+, battery - to chassis, & alternator/engine - to chassis.

Good info guys, thanks for posting!
My nephew-in-law(?) was in the reserves when he he met my niece when I found out about on base shop use, really great service for service peeps

I have had 2 different Napa's let me use their machine shop.

be careful with the promises of high amp alternators. not all but most are not very reliable. your best bet is to stick to a factory replacement high amp that is new and not rebuilt. unless you want to go marine, but the prices geez might as well just get a generator.

highdesertranger

yeah Uncle that is exactly what I was recommending, a brand new factory replacement. highdesertranger

I reason I brought this up was, I was watching a Video on youTube where a guy had a Ford Diesel pulling a trailer and he had 4 BattleBorns in the with a HD plug to charge them. He had installed a 40 amp Dc to Dc charger for the batteries and he had burnt up his second alternator. He replaced it with a 370 Amp HD alternator.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M7NW3M...colid=6DOXK2O4SQ95&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I dont think I would need one that big, but I have found a 250 Amp replacement for mine. And the price isn't to bad either.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06VWZQ1F...colid=6DOXK2O4SQ95&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Chuck Q said:
For larger jobs requiring unknown parts, ask the auto parts store folks if you can park around back and wrench. I've never been turned down if I ask first. The big plus is when you find you need a part, simply walk around front and buy/order it.

Yeah,I've done that a couple of times at Autozones. Timing chain on one van, radiator on another. Slept overnight at a Fort Collins store. Bought a couple of tools I needed there,too.

I'd been looking up HO alternators, many of the aftermarket ones were hit or miss.
370 amps is a bit much, even for a single 40 amp charger, unless his rig is an amp vac lol.

Mine provides a much higher output than stock at idle and should well feed my DC-DC charger.
Cost a bit more than the one you linked, but it has limited lifetime replacement and Advance Auto is nationwide I believe.

Freelander said:
Does anyone here carry spare parts with them?

Yep. Replaced the fuel pump a few months ago with a Bosch instead of a Motorcraft (3 times the $).

I've read about aftermarket pumps not being so good, so I bought a spare fuel pump. It's 9,000 miles later and haven't needed it.

Also fuel filter, serpentine belt, oil filter.

• If your goal is to drive lots of miles everyday a high output alternator can handle some if your electrical needs. But if that is not your style of nomadic living then invest in solar and generator. A high ouutput generator is wasted funds if you are not driving enough hoursveachnday to charge a big battery bankThat constant driving to find new camp sites each day is a pretty exhausting and often stressful lifestyle. A few people do that but not all that many because it is expensive to do constant travel.