When Vans Get Stolen

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've had my van, a chevy express, a year and a half. it's been hit and run, had the gas tank drilled out for gas, door lock destroyed, ignition switch destroyed, shot, gee, i can't even remember if the catalytic was stolen. oh, yeah, it was, lol.
all in front of my house. i live in oakland, next to berzerkley.
i lowered my deductible from $1000 to $250. that's what i'd recommend. and --- for a hit and run, even tho my vehicle was parked, it's covered under the collision part of insurance.
anyone tried VISUAL deterrents? fake led's that blink, stickers for well known vehicle trackers... ??? clubs???
i may have to sell my van. it just ain't worth it. i mean, they ain't even stolen it, and trashed it yet.
which is what they do. apologies for being so negative; i just found the last driver side lock destruction a few minutes ago.
Hi. I had a tool kit stolen, someone tried to remove my catalytic converter (cost $300.00 to fix) had 3 windows broken not much stolen but sentimental items, and that was in a 200k size city. On the road now (again) and nothing stolen or broken since I left. Time to leave the city. When you can!

I think it is important to have comprehensive insurance on your RV/van/camper. It doesn't cost much for the insurance as compared to collision and liability. I recently had my catalytic converter stolen from my RV. Repair cost was around $2500. Had $250 deductible so it wasn't too painful. Also, in California they can not increase your insurance premium for comprehensive claims.

I think it is important to have comprehensive insurance on your RV/van/camper. It doesn't cost much for the insurance as compared to collision and liability. I recently had my catalytic converter stolen from my RV. Repair cost was around $2500. Had $250 deductible so it wasn't too painful. Also, in California they can not increase your insurance premium for comprehensive claims.
My van was hit and run, when it was parked. Farmers person said it was covered under collision, since a vehicle hit it. Damage was in the thousands I'm in California, like you Fwiw.

Also check out the cost for $0 deductible. It might surprise you.

I spent months researching GPS trackers and bought the TRACKI from Amaazon for my cargo trailer.

Over 27,000 positive reviews on Amazon and I'm very pleased with it too.
How much is the monthly fee?

I bought the two year plan which was around $10 a month or less.

Lifetime warranty and phone customer support too.

Why don’t you guys use AirTags (iPhone) or Tile’s (both android and iPhone). You have to replace the batteries in them every year, I do 6mo as precaution. But you can hide it in your vehicle, and if your van gets stolen you just check the app and it’ll tell you exactly where your vehicle is and even give you directions to it!! Is also very useful for your keys and/or wallet. I think with Tile you do have to pay a subscription too but it’s only a couple dollars a month (don’t quote me). Hope this helps!
FWIW, Haven't been able to find anything where a "Tile" will help with a stolen vehicle. It's all about finding your wallet, keys or laptop not a moving vehicle. Below is from users....

"Unfortunately, it's not really feasible to track your car with a Tile Mate. If your reason for purchasing a tracker is for security if your car gets stolen, your Tile Mate won't be of much help; if the thief is out of the range of the Bluetooth connection, it will stop tracking."

I don't have anything on the AirTag product.

It should be obvious to everyone that your security system should be efficient and have several overlapping levels of redundancy.
I installed a floor-mounted eye-bolt with a visible chain to protect my 1972 Ford Maverick & 8-track in 1975.
Worked well.
I advise simple mechanical methods that prevent the vehicle from moving location under its own power.
I also advise notifying the potential thieves beforehand so that they may be discouraged and move on to the next potential victim.
In the old days just remove the coil wire as the first line of defense.
Lockout the battery & engine perhaps a hydraulic brake interlock and have a tracker.
A physical, manually operated valve on the exhaust might be novel. Contact experienced mechanics and get their input.
Seems amazingly negligent to invest lots of energy, cost and care into a rig that you are unwilling to take sufficient security precautions with.
Do you also surf the www without protection?

They stole my 1970 Ford Maverick in 1982 in Pavonia, NJ. The week before someone had pulled one of the plug wires while it was parked in the Plainfield, NJ train station lot. I had put a cable lock on the hood, so they took it all.

FWIW, Haven't been able to find anything where a "Tile" will help with a stolen vehicle. It's all about finding your wallet, keys or laptop not a moving vehicle. Below is from users....

"Unfortunately, it's not really feasible to track your car with a Tile Mate. If your reason for purchasing a tracker is for security if your car gets stolen, your Tile Mate won't be of much help; if the thief is out of the range of the Bluetooth connection, it will stop tracking."

I don't have anything on the AirTag product.
Yep. Tiles are getting better but they can't compete with tags yet.

They stole my 1970 Ford Maverick in 1982 in Pavonia, NJ. The week before someone had pulled one of the plug wires while it was parked in the Plainfield, NJ train station lot. I had put a cable lock on the hood, so they took it all.
Protecting the body from entry does not immobilize the vehicle from travel after they gain entry (as you now know). Multiple redundancies is the answer, some high-tech some basic mechanical. The point I was trying to stress is: "failure to plan is planning to fail".
How much energy went into all your systems yet you have not matched that with a sophisticated security system?
You're asking for it.

Protecting the body from entry does not immobilize the vehicle from travel after they gain entry (as you now know). Multiple redundancies is the answer, some high-tech some basic mechanical. The point I was trying to stress is: "failure to plan is planning to fail".
How much energy went into all your systems yet you have not matched that with a sophisticated security system?
You're asking for it.
You can try bluffing by claiming to have systems you don't (live sat. upstreaming to HD save) they may not know until they try to breach and even then may not be sure. They attack the weakest link.

Thanks for the unsolicited advice.
I haven't had a vehicle broken into, or stolen, since the incidents in 1982 with that Maverick. Might have been a curse on that vehicle.
No security systems on any of my vehicles at present. On my cargo and utility trailers I use hitch locks, but the locks can be drilled out with a Ryobi drill.
No backup or dash cameras, as defensive driving works well.

I realize the Bouncie, being the lowest monthly cost on the market, has limitations.
"Bouncie uses the start-stop cycles of the engine to record data. If your vehicle is stolen or towed without the vehicle being turned on, Bouncie would be unable record the event. Bouncie was not designed for theft deterrence or vehicle recovery."
I'm betting that the most likely scenario is someone hot wiring my vehicle and driving it away.

I decided that's better than a tag because it will work as long as there is cell service.

It's all relative though, I don't have highly attractive, expensive vehicles. So I'm not going with an expensive option. Even a tag will eventually find someone's iphone, if your not in a hurry.

It should be obvious to everyone that your security system should be efficient and have several overlapping levels of redundancy.
I installed a floor-mounted eye-bolt with a visible chain to protect my 1972 Ford Maverick & 8-track in 1975.
Worked well.
I advise simple mechanical methods that prevent the vehicle from moving location under its own power.
I also advise notifying the potential thieves beforehand so that they may be discouraged and move on to the next potential victim.
In the old days just remove the coil wire as the first line of defense.
Lockout the battery & engine perhaps a hydraulic brake interlock and have a tracker.
A physical, manually operated valve on the exhaust might be novel. Contact experienced mechanics and get their input.
Seems amazingly negligent to invest lots of energy, cost and care into a rig that you are unwilling to take sufficient security precautions with.
Do you also surf the www without protection?
A new 'neighbor' first week, van stollen while at the laundromat. It got 2 blocks before the fuel cut off. He punched the guy just as he got out of the van cussing about it.

Opinions Wanted!

If your van had a fairly unique-looking exterior that would make it easy to spot, do you think it would be less attractive to thieves?

Opinions Wanted!

If your van had a fairly unique-looking exterior that would make it easy to spot, do you think it would be less attractive to thieves?
Maybe, but it may also stand out MORE to a substance addled mind...

Cheers...