What's the smallest vehicle you've seen with cats residing in it?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawnann7

Reaction score
I have two kittens (rescues from a kitten mill in northern BC) who will be joining me when I hit the road. They are about 9 months old, so they're not *quite* so wild and crazy anymore but they still have a lot of energy, especially around midnight.

I have been reading a lot of posts in this forum and figuring out strategies for a good life with kittens on the road but I'm a little worried about not having enough room for all their things - and for all the racing around and antics they seem to need right now. I am looking to harness train them and take them for walks, get an outdoor pet enclosure, etc., but what about day-to-day, night-to-night living? I can't afford a big vehicle right now but I know my current car (a Dodge Journey) would be way too small.

I guess I'm looking for general advice about coping strategies and the minimum size of vehicle I should get to house us all. A little brain storming if you will.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have!

Hi,
we travel with two cats in a 32 ft class A.
That is plenty space for us and the cats.
I have seen cat people in vans and even in cars.

Friends were concerned for my cats, when I downsized from a big house into the RV.

I don't know about your cats, but mine are usually where I am.
So in the big house, when I was at my desk, one would be on my lap and one on the desk.
When I was in bed, one would be in my arms the other one my legs.
When i was in the kitchen, one would be on my lap, one on the chair next to me.

So now, in the much smaller (and still ridiculously spacious) RV, it's the same.
As I am writing this boy cat is on my lap and girl cat is on the bench across from me.
At night - both on the bed.
When on the sofa - both on the sofa.

When anywhere else....you guessed it....
Except the bathroom, I like my privacy there ;)

When we are outside in our chairs, I have a (foldable) pet enclosure for them.
I also have leashes, which they don't appreciate, but that's the rule: you want to be outside with us, gotta be on a leash.

As yours are so small, I guess they'll adapt to any size vehicle, as long as you can provide a spot for a litter box and possibly some sort of scratching post.
We lived in our RV for several months with the cats before we started travelling, so they had a lot of time, getting used to the space and finding their favourite spots (which are usually close the the human ;) )
I think looking at vehicles with an eye for where the litter box could go and how you can provide some scratching and perching options is a good thing.
I don't think you'll have to have a huge rig.
As I said, I have seen people living out of a car, with a cat.
I'd be concerned about keeping a car cool enough though, so I'd always opt for a bit more space and ensure good ventilation.

I have written an article about some of our concerns (also has a link to the enclosure we have) a year ago, when were were several months into our travels.
I have been meaning to update that, because things have gotten a lot easier since then. Here it is, incase you are interested:
http://www.thefrugalhumanist.com/rv-travelling-with-cats/

Good luck to you and the kitties!

I would be most concerned about losing them to predation outside when boondocked.

StrayCat said:
I have written an article about some of our concerns (also has a link to the enclosure we have) a year ago, when were were several months into our travels.
I have been meaning to update that, because things have gotten a lot easier since then. Here it is, incase you are interested:
http://www.thefrugalhumanist.com/rv-travelling-with-cats/

Good luck to you and the kitties!

StrayCat, you have answered so many of my questions. Thank you for your excellent article! I had no idea about calming collars, calming treats and Feliway. This was a gold mine of information.

My dwelling will likely be a more modest Class B unit but I have already planned to make room for a litter box and scratching post, at least. The calming tactics should help little girl kitten, who gets stressed out when in a moving vehicle.

A link to your article has been placed in my "Cats" folder for future reference. Thanks again for your help!

DLTooley said:
I would be most concerned about losing them to predation outside when boondocked.

Thanks DL. This also concerns me so I am looking into enclosures and leash training and NEVER leaving them alone outside.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. The smallest I've seen is a gal with her 2 cats in a Prius.

My cat has been a vandweller for over a year now. She's not fond of it being a bigger cat so about twice a year I find a motel room and let her go crazy.