whats the largest solar panel you can buy with free shipping

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. Because of the dimensions of the panels, they need to be shipped freight. Until technology advances, that is max.

Buy the right panels for your needs, then shop for deals, don't base your choice on even overall price, much less an arbitrary marketing ploy.

Shop for local sources, or pick them up in your travels.

Or buy a pallet load and sell what you don't use.

I would also consider multiple smaller panels in parallel. Will help with generation on cloudy days or when shade is a factor.
One big panel and a good cloud could ruin your day. Smaller panels are also easier to deal with. Just my 2 cents

If you want decent output on a cloudy day, get a poly. I have never used smaller panels, only grid tied larger panels. I see 50% of output on cloudy days and 25% in the rain. The panel on my truck is still the largest made at 435w and if you could get your hands on one it would make a great system for a van. One panel, one set of mounts, one set of wires, etc.

Most low top vans can carry 3 or for 26x58 180w or 200w panels. Wiring them in series outs you at risk of weakening the whole array with just a bit of shading on one of the panels.

Go to craigslist for your area and look to see what is being sold for local pick up. Use solar and title only

BobW55 said:
I would also consider multiple smaller panels in parallel. Will help with generation on cloudy days or when shade is a factor.

One big panel and a good cloud could ruin your day. Smaller panels are also easier to deal with.
No, completely irrelevant to the cloudy bit, and

good big panels with bypass diodes do better than serialed little ones, for partial shade would need to go with 1 panel per SC to improve on a big one

Fewer connections, simpler = better reliability

And the higher voltages give overall better output from MPPT.

jimindenver said:
If you want decent output on a cloudy day, get a poly. I have never used smaller panels, only grid tied larger panels. I see 50% of output on cloudy days and 25% in the rain. The panel on my truck is still the largest made at 435w and if you could get your hands on one it would make a great system for a van. One panel, one set of mounts, one set of wires, etc.

Most low top vans can carry 3 or for 26x58 180w or 200w panels. Wiring them in series outs you at risk of weakening the whole array with just a bit of shading on one of the panels.
Thanks Jim for posting im Honored you are the Guru of solar :)

I have a lot of room up top its totaly flat on my short school bus I can put at list 6 panels 

the roof lots of room!!
0813181326_Burst01.jpg
0813181326a.jpg
0711181140.jpg

Attachments

• 0813181326_Burst01.jpg
    0813181326_Burst01.jpg
    860.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 0813181326a.jpg
    0813181326a.jpg
    762.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 0711181140.jpg
    0711181140.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 6
Ask the local home solar installer companies if they will sell you house panels direct. They buy large pallets at a time. The local solar install company here sold me house panels at a good price. Since they buy entire pallets at a time they sometimes have a couple of panels left over from the jobs.

You may be able to pick up large panels from Lowe's or Home Depot or maybe even other chain stores like WalMart that have free pickup.

I would check Craig's list or find a wholesaler in your area and pick them up at the warehouse. that's what I did. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I would check Craig's list or find a wholesaler in your area and pick them up at the warehouse. that's what I did. highdesertranger
That's what I did too. Got a good deal on a 320 watt panel. No tax and no shipping.

Hi Jim, what is a reasonable price per watt for what you have on your truck?   I'm assuming it's a brand that is difficult to buy 1 panel from. I need a smaller panel, as I will be hauling it in and out for at least this year.  I was offered 325 for $500.  I can buy 3 Canadian Solar for that price.  I don't have any reference for whether that is reasonable.  Thank you.
Kathy