Tell me what is wrong with this ladder?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breeze

Reaction score
330 lb. cap step later, weighs 30 lb., costs $80 incl. shipping, 12.5' max to 6.5' folded max to 3' folded down, 6063 AL (I do need to check this spec out further), ...

Ebay seller with 98.5% from California ?? He had lots of angry feedback, but no one I saw about the ladder: but he still had a lot of angry customers. Who knows, ... but it is a dream ladder if you have a 10 foot tall van!

ebay dream ladder for $80

1. AL 6063 is missing a T0, T1, ... at the end (not a complete spec.) This could be UK-Chinese junk metal (like 'surgical' stainless steel that rusts immediately for example.)

2. The UK spec EN-131 is changing at the end of this year to include a tougher UK commercial standard; so... it looks like these are non-compliant parts that will be obsolete at the end of the year.

Still for light use, it may be worth it except the incomplete T# spec left off could indicate junk alloy. I'm sorry for the post and THEN I researched the specs, but I thought it may be a really good bargain.
:huh:

Every Road Leads Home said:
Could always order this similar one from Amazon.  It's bigger at 16.5 feet.  Good reviews and slightly more money.  They have a 12.5 ft telescoping ladder but it's not a step ladder  like this one.  
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FUCCPNW/ref=twister_B01FUCCPMS?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

I have this ladder at work. It's pretty versatile and great for use in locations that a standard ladder just can't get to. It's also reasonably compact and easy to store. Using it is a little tricky though. It has a bit more flex than a standard A-frame ladder and a lot more flex than a standard extension ladder, meaning that you'd better have an excellent sense of balance and take your time while climbing it. Also, in the A-frame configuration, NEVER try to use it at anything less than full extension as that's the only position in which it's reasonably stable. You have a bit more freedom in how you use it in it's extension ladder configuration.

highdesertranger said:
I don't trust that center hinge.  you know ladders are one of the most dangerous tools you can own,  don't cheap out.

http://www.ehstoday.com/nothing-easy-falling-off-ladder

highdesertranger

Thanks! You are absolutely right. Like most people here getting ready for the road, there are so many things to do and I always look for bargains. But I don't want to kill myself on a budget ladder! After looking at tall Industrial fiberglass step-ladders, they are about $100 more and at least twice the storage space required.

I was going to put Protective Paint Plastic (Suntek PPP) over my front spoiler over the windshield anyway (10' tall high roof van). Now I may just extend the PPP to my whole roof, which will soon be under solar panels for the most part (after I figure that out next??). A 3' step ladder may be all that is required after eliminating the tall ladder requirement ;-) 

Thanks again!

If you look around you may find a loading dock or high wall structure you can park next to. I painted the top of my van once using my friends balcony over his drive way, laid on my stomach and drove the van forward as necessary.

breeze said:
A 3' step ladder may be all that is required after eliminating the tall ladder requirement

I highly recommend the Little Giant step ladders -- they have 2, 3 and 4 step models.  They are not the cheapest by any means, but these things are rock-solid.  We got one for our pop-up truck camper and what a huge difference it makes in terms of stability.  Unlike most portable ladders, these are like walking up stairs.  Can't recommend them enough, if the height is enough for you.  Here is a link to the 4-step.

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant-Systems-10410BA-11-Inch/dp/B00005V5ME

I should have mentioned this when I commented above yesterday.

I used one of these daily for two years doing roof inspections for insurance claims. It takes up a bit more space than a telescoping ladder but I always felt very safe on it. I have lots of ladder experience, working off ladder jacks and planks much of my adult life so I probably feel over confident on one. They are the most dangerous tool on the jobsite as HDR pointed out. Def buy one you are comfortable with. Saving money on a ladder is probably not the best place to save money on them.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-1...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJfG-oer19UCFcEHDAodTaQM6Q

There's an unwritten rule in rock climbing and it's to never buy 2nd hand equipment as you don't know it's history. I've always applied that to ladders as well.

Man what a great topic!

This forum is great, for all the variety of subjects covered...although I have YET to see the thread about yard care and lawnmower repair!

:D 

Years ago I drove for a wholesale hardware distributor...and of course we delivered ladders along with all the other products.

Ladders can easily get damaged in truck shipping: pallets shift, freight moves around, forklift drivers are in a hurry....so when we handed a ladder off the tailgate, we always had to make a quick inspection.

If there was even so much as a bend, a dent, a crack, (on the wooden and fiberglass ones) or a slightly bent 'foot'...back on the trailer it went! Yep...liability!

When the returns, called 'claims', made it back to the warehouse our returns guy would saw the wooden ones in half after removing the metal braces, lengthwise, (right thru every step) and cut the aluminum and fiberglass ones up with a sawzall, before tossing them in the large industrial dumpster at the warehouse. The piece with the labeling was saved as proof for tax credit.

Because: IF somebody scavenged a defective but intact ladder from the trash and then got hurt on it later, WE and the manufacturer could be hit with a giant lawsuit!

I managed to get 6 of them in about 4 years before he could cut them up, with his winking permission, and repair them. I still have them all except for one, 30 years later.

My advise on ladders is this, and take it or leave it as you see fit:

Buy one locally, at a big box store or a small hardware store...look it over and especially look at the 'feet', the bracing, and the hardware....any little bend or crack, pass it up. Or, if you get one directly thru e-commerce, DOUBLE check it before you accept it.

Your injury-free future may depend on it!

:cool: