What's the big deal with a diesel?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
I have no idea about the Jetta and why the diesel performance is so bad.  isn't that one of the models VW got busted for fudging the pollution  numbers on?

I am going off my real world experiences.  I realize that most experts say 10-15% better but with my diesels fully loaded and towing it's not really even close.  notice I said almost and that is about what I get.  in fact I get better mpg fully loaded than most gas trucks get empty and when you load the gas truck mpg goes though the floor.

when I worked heavy construction I drove a Pete medium duty dump truck.  it did get twice the mpg as my Chevy 1 ton gasser.

also I should have added the disclaimer that I am talking about trucks 3/4 ton and greater.  the only diesel car I ever had was an old Mercedes Sedan and it got excellent mpg but back then I never compared it to other like sedans.

highdesertranger

My 10,000 pound step van has the Cummins 4BT 3.9 liter diesel and gets 17-18 MPG, while my 4,400 pound Dodge van with a 5.9 liter gas engine gets 10-12 mpg.

Over twice the weight and almost twice the mileage.  Diesel wins for me.

I drive and tow my trailer trailer with a 2015 RAM EcoDiesel. Great mileage towing and on the highway. I think the downside that steers me away from diesels in the future is the complicated emissions system (2006+, I believe). I've had 4 check engine lights in the time I've owned the truck and 3 have been emission system related (the other was the coolant/radiator). I think the complicated emissions systems are the Achilles heel in newer diesels.