What's the best way to seal around roof penetrations?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fearnoevil

Reaction score
So I'm planning on building a deck on top of my transit bus which will be multi-functional - the front half will support a solar-panel array while the back half will be for storage and as an observation deck. To be on the safe side I wanted to make sure it could support up to 2000 lbs, so I thought the best/strongest way is to tie the supporting deck studs to the bus body's outer structural studs (either bolted or welded, haven't decided yet). This will require cutting holes in the roof, 10 in all, for the support members to extend through.

So my question is does anyone have an idea of the best way to make this water-tite? I know there are some really good caulks/sealants, like Sikaflex 715, but I'm wondering if I should use some kind of flashing, like a roof jack of some kind? I'm planning on using 1-1/2" square tubing for the supports, and to compensate for any movement/vibration, I thought it best not to make the holes too tight, but leave 1/4" - 3/8" space all around. Then fill in the gap with caulk and install a boot or jack over this and then seal and caulk around that. Does this sound like the best solution? Also, are boots/jacks available for precisely this application? Any input or better ideas is certainly appreciated! :D
;?D

Of course I am worried that this could REALLY create a huge headache/problem if they leak, lol, but with all the possible roofing and marine sealants on the market, I would think that something should do the job (and of course stand up to the weather, vibration and UV rays).
;?D

Have you thought through the negative effect this will have on gas mileage and the fact that putting all that weight up there may affect handling?

Or does everyone else think these will be trivial?

lessee...

I'd be inclined to build your framework so that it bolts on the outside of the framework that extends around the parameter of the roof, and not THROUGH the roof itself. All box type vehicles have this framework that the roof joists are welded to, and in a bus, the window frames top out on this frame.

I'm just curious as to why you feel the need to have a 1-ton capacity up there. That's an aweful lot of weight! Whacha gonna do up there...hold a dance or sumthing??? :p

Other than that, I don't see much of an issue.

PastTense said:
Have you thought through the negative effect this will have on gas mileage and the fact that putting all that weight up there may affect handling?

Or does everyone else think these will be trivial?

I don't think it'll affect the handling much, unless he really packs a serious load of stuff up there, and yes, the gas mileage will go down, but not by all that much. (again...as long as it isn't overloaded.)

Trivial???...no, but it's not something that'll break the bank either

i would go with Patrick's advice. the brackets do not have to penetrate the roof, only the bolts. why does it need to hold 1 ton. you can't drive with that much weight up that high. although i must confess i have done it, i put 1 ton of rebar on my roof rack. drove side streets to the job 35 mph tops made turns very carefully. no fun. highdesertranger

Sounds like a party bus to me - plenty of art buses at Burning Man get way more than 10 people up top running around at 5mph. You might check to see how they did it.

If you do go through the roof (I have no idea how they are constructed so I won't weigh in on whether to do that) I would think any UV stabilized silicone sealant would do - just glop on a bunch around every hole and inspect it every couple of years.

For that large of a gap you may consider using Silicone sealer as a first layer, it will stay flexible and stick nicely. the only downfall to silicone it affected by the suns UV radiation, so after the silicone has dried ( probably give it a couple of days)

I would then cover the joint with dicor, self sealing lap sealer that is resistant to UV, it will harden somewhat over time and crack, using the silicone will take care of that.

Dicor link

You know it's funny that when you ask a simple question, suddenly it seems like everyone's a Dear Abby, lol. Believe me when I say that I know exactly what I'm doing, or at least why:dodgy:.

So to start, the solar panels and supports shouldn't weigh more than 250 lbs, the deck and frame are only a rough estimate because I haven't settled on the material, but I'm going to allow another 300 lbs just to be on the safe side. Then I've got a lot of tools and a few other items that I'm bringing with me that I'll need down the road, so I want to either buy or build (the latter most likely) a cargo container to protect/store them in, preferably aerodynamic. So say that's another 400 lbs.

Then WHEN I'M PARKED SOMEWHERE, I just might want to have a little party now and then and the deck needs to safely hold 4 - 6 adults (not going to be room for more as it's laid out now I don't think) so I'm allowing another roughly 1,200 lbs for that JUST IN CASE there's a few shall we say large friends aboard, lol.:p All in all, 2000 lbs is NOT that much weight especially spread out over 10 supports, only 200 lbs each, so I don't see an issue with this. If it affects gas mileage, c'est la vie, it's what I want/need to be happy, and as I've mentioned a few times, I don't plan on doing a LOT of traveling like many of you do. I'm going to explore a maybe 6 - 10 places around certain parts of the country to find out where I'm going to live the next phase of my life. Might be a tiny house on the Oregon coast or an adobe home in Colorado or a cave in New Mexico, lol, the Lord only knows, and he ain't talkin :D

So THAT'S why I'm going to build it to support that much weight. As for the design, I have already thought of the exterior application and there are a few reasons why I don't want to go that route. Appearances is one, I want to keep it fairly clean looking. Second, I have come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to probably add siding to the bus, and the type that I can afford has ridges and channels and I don't think I can go the exterior mounting route without damaging/creasing it all over the place. Third, if I did that, there'd still be DOZENS of little holes that could leak as well, so with ten big ones I figure it's easier to find a culprit. And forthly, I believed, and perhaps wrongly so, that there had to be other people who have already done this the way I want to do it. I've seen other buses/RVs with decks and don't think they were bolted on the outside. Like this one, for instance...
bus1.jpg

Of course that's got a metal roof, but that thing has GOT to have internal supports, or maybe they just really beefed up the roof beams, quite possible, idk.

But yeah, like with a lot of really good marine or RV roof grade caulking, well bonded to the roof surface, that would be a start. What about Dicor RV rubber roof material, anyone have any experience with this stuff? Maybe cut a square patch to go around the hole, then add a metal frame... need to do some Googling :?\

Huh, found something that looks exactly like what I had in mind, but it's too damn big, grrr.
Square retrofit roof flashing
I didn't think they made a square roof jack, lol, but maybe there's something similar but smaller <sigh>
;?D

I'm sounding like a broken record, but I'm back to you started with the wrong base. For your purposes a school bus (short or long) was your best choice. With the problems you've run into with the fiberglass walls I'd run away from it and get into a school bus.

School buses are over-built, over-strong and over-safe because they carry the single most important cargo in the country, our children. They are designed to be hit by a train and most of the kids to walk away. Cut and bruised but walking.

There's a reason you found a school bus carrying the roof rack you want, they are designed to endure anything!! It can carry 2000 pounds without any of these elaborate plans you are devising now--jut bolt the rack on. No big deal!

Not only that, it's big enough you can carry all your tools inside and not on the roof. You are going to hate all your tools on the roof!! And it will laugh at the tremendous amount of weight you want to carry whereas your shuttle bus will not be able to handle it.
Bob

Yes Bob, I heard you before, but I've already decided that this size is about right for what I want at this point in time. The fiberglass skin thing is an aggravation for sure, but not a major setback, well, lol I suppose that remains to be ascertained completely, but I think I'll manage. And the tool storage is just that, storage, I don't plan on accessing most of them until I get settled. I've got a lot invested in my tools and it's just too darn much $$$ to try and accumulate them again (already done it this time round after loosing most of my last ones, a sad event I'd rather not contemplate again). Of course I'll have my handyman's tool box inside where I can get to it, and also once I get to the western half of the country, I've got more than a few relatives who I can probably store them with, which will certainly help lighten the load and I won't have to worry about them getting stolen (I'm already planning a very loud and flashy security system as is ;?D).

And if I can design it right, the storage container could double as a place to sit on while up on the observation deck, something to lay on while gazing up at the stars, and also a place to stash a body if needed, lol (visions of Grandma in NL's Vacation :p)
full-425-3688-vac.jpg

This is worth all of 2 cents. I'd consider using that back bumper and bolt 2- 4x4 Wooden Posts against back wall and to bumper adding wood to wall to beef it up. Make shelves or a closet on each side if need be for lateral strength/something to bolt to.Across these 4x4s screw and bolt 2x10 lumber to width you want. You said before you wanted a rear overhang so now is the time. This frame is going to be your width wide and 10' long. This will let you have a deck your width x 11' long using a over hang toward the front. At the overhang use 4' wide x width mobile home siding fastened to deck studs for water issues. You Will have to use plywood installed level in this area to keep metal flat properly.
Then install 2x8s width length every foot on center to finish frame.
While treated would be better in this install i would polyurethane all lumber on the ground first w/3-4 coats and then just have to do cut ends as needed.

Nows the interesting part - consider building bulkheads inside at the length of your deck again using 4x4 lumber as posts. Bulkhead could be between windows or sacrifice 2(one on each side) and put where is needed for decking. This should come out just past that "cap" you have at ceiling at least. Build this strong. Overkill. As it will support front of deck posts. Boards will have to go both width first and then a length for support.Shelves or closet again. You will now only have 2 - 4x4 holes in your roof. If you have the head clearance at all run a board across width.Try to do this at existing roof support to tie into.

You could then hang your solar from front end of deck and figure out mount for rest.

Told 'ya it was worth 2 cents.

Hmm, I'm having a little trouble visualizing what you're describing, DC.:s As to dimensions, the total length of the upper deck is going to be around 23-24 ft. (depends on final rear overhang length). So with 8-9 ft devoted to the solar panels, that leaves at least 15' of deck that will bear the greatest load. And yeah, I am planning on having the back supported by struts from the lower porch, and I do appreciate your 2 cents, thanks :cool:

But for weight/strength/space/durability restraints I'm planning on doing most of the structure in steel, no wood. Much of the upper deck frame will be welded 1-1/2" square chrome molly tubing, but to allow for flex I may sleeve and bolt the middle section, and also thinking of bolting the deck frame to the vertical supports to again allow some flex and hopefully reduce stress (and make disassembly or repair easier). I need to talk to an engineer buddy of mine and run it by him before finalizing this though. Any thoughts on this specific design idea are welcome :angel:

The fiberglass shell and the metal frame underneath are already fighting each other when temperatures start changing and things start expanding and contracting at different rates . Water intrusion is the root cause of your fiberglass/wood delam issues, but exacerbated by the different rates of contraction and expansion.

Putting supports through the fiberglass Shell to metal framing underneath to support your party deck is always going to cause issues. I doubt any sealant or flashing or combo thereof will remain water tight for long, and it will be just a matter of time before leakage occurs.

You have foreseen an issue for which there is no permanent solution, just varying degrees of temporary. Silicone is nice and stretchy but nothing sticks to it, including more silicone. Sikaflex is awesome stuff, but I don't know how long it can handle the amount of flexing it will have to endure.

Consider the solution when the leaking does start. Digging out cracked caulking is not fun. When leaking causes rust, and black mold, soggy insulation, fried electronics.....locusts.....

I think Eternabond Tape might be the longest lasting solution if applied to allow for extreme flex., Like applying the last inch on either edge of a 6 inch wide roll and leaving the backing paper on the 4 inch middle.

But this stuff is pretty much permanent. If it fails, you are not just peeling it off and applying more.

Only lightweight objects should be put up high when driving from A to B. All heavy masses like tool boxes, should be kept as low as possible. I don't even know if the metal framing below could support the weight of 2000 pounds in addition to the weight of the party patio itself. Which could easily be 1000 pounds itself.

So I think the idea is insanity, as is a washer and dryer, but that is my opinion.

I get the impression that when most of what somebody tells you, is not what you want to hear, the more inclined you are to pursue it to the bitter end.

So look into the eternabond tape and its proper application.

Lol, and it's always funny to me how a lack of vision and imagination often passes for common wisdom, but thank God there are always those who are willing to challenge said "wisdom".
trailer raft.jpg
Now first off, the problems with the delamination aren't due to an inherent problem in the design, but problems that developed over time caused by either damage or improper maintenance. And remember, this bus is 10 years old and has over 250k miles on it. As mentioned, there was no sealant or at least an insufficient amount used around the window gaskets, and so leaks eventually developed which caused the greatest amount of delamination. And THAT is to the outer wall's which are constructed of thin plywood and a thinner layer of resin. That should not be confused with the construction of the roof, which is much better and has NO LEAKS, ZERO PROBLEMS.

Second, as to roof penetrations on RV's, marine vessels and the like, I'm not sure how much experience you've had, but you seem to think these things aren't possible, to which I beg to differ. For instance when a pipe or mast penetrates a deck on a boat, these types of jacks can be used and will meet the required needs of water and weatherproofing (and this is for a ship at sea which serve under conditions far beyond what I need). And these are also subjected to quite a bit of movement and vibration and continue to function well over time.
black_solar_vent_pipe_flashing.jpg

Note how this one is designed to fit a corrugated surface even.
roof jack 1.JPG

And what about those really BIG holes most RV's have on their roofs for things like AC units, skylights, vents and hatches? There are many different seals, mastics, tapes, flashings and boots which could do the job and last many years under lots of use. Do they need repair and upkeep from time to time? Of course they do, and anyone who thinks they don't doesn't have a clue, but I do. I fully understand the implications and of foremost importance is that the initial installation be done properly and professionally so that premature failures and repairs are kept to a minimum. I have dealt with this in everything from boat repairs to home remodeling and construction, and as such I am certain, without ever having dealt with THIS particular challenge, that there must be a workable solution. That you and others don't does not tell me that it isn't possible, just that you lack the necessary experience for this particular application.

Of course I have gone back and forth when trying to decide the best method to do this, and if I had a steel bus I probably would have simply decided to bolt everything to the roof and be done with it. I still think this might be doable, but the one thing that worries me is the fiberglass material that the roof is made of and whether it can stand up to being compressed when sandwiched between the deck struts and roof trusses. I believe that cracks could develop over time or the material could just begin to deteriorate/break up under the pressure.

That is one of the main reasons I think that roof penetrations might offer a better solution, that and I have a feeling that this will be inherently stronger, especially if the deck support members are extended all the way down to the bus floor, thus transferring much of the stress load. Without this, if I simply tied in right below the roof line for instance, I think that the odds for structural failure is greater than if spread out. Considering the rather limited 2000 lb load limit (a little over 1/3 of which is actually full time weight), I think this might be a bit of overkill, essentially doubling the side structure the entire length of the bus, so after talking with my engineer buddy that might come down to just 3 points maybe (front, back and center).

And when you think about the way these buses are constructed, especially how short and sturdy they are, I don't believe there's going to be much movement between the metal framework and the outer fiberglass skin. Haven't noticed any signs of that, but I'll allow a small space around each strut just in case my conversion alters things a bit. As it stands I plan is to use something like this:
1) A layer of Eternabond on the underneath side of the roof.
2) Sikaflex 715 applied on top to seal around the gap.
3) Square rubber roof jack with metal flange sealed to the roof using 3M VHB double-sided tape.
4) A top coat of Sikaflex 715 to make sure the edges are completely sealed.
5) Plans are still in flux so this is open for improvement :rolleyes:

As for your assumption that the deck will weigh 1000 lbs, well again, I beg to differ. I admit that the weight could be as high as 500 lbs., but considering the materials that I've decided on, I don't think so. There are some extras that I'll be working on, like fold-up rails for safety, but I'll try to keep it simple, just pieces of 3' long square aluminium tubing on a hinge and pin system with a chain "rail" that will hang from hooks, just to give drunks something to grab onto, lol.

There are a few other misconceptions you've rather carelessly tossed about, including the roof weight creating a problem. Even allowing for 1000 lbs as the full time load, I see absolutely no problem with this bus handling it, especially if the deck is designed properly, so much of your negativity IMO is baseless presumptions. Back when I was in the Peace Corps, I traveled all throughout Central America on all kinds of rickety old buses which were OFTEN loaded to the gill with literally thousands of pounds on their roofs, (people and cargo) and driven on some pretty hairy winding mountain roads I might add, and while I'd never advise it, it's done on a daily basis there out of necessity. So no, I don't see a problem with what I am planning to do, but believe it or not, I don't really care, I know I WILL make this work because I know what I am capable of, do you?
:sleepy:

Attachments

• black_solar_vent_pipe_flashing.jpg
    black_solar_vent_pipe_flashing.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 4
  • roof jack 1.JPG
    roof jack 1.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 9
  • trailer raft.jpg
    trailer raft.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 15
Not the first time pointing out possible issues has gotten me called negative, won't be the last.

Best of luck to you and your build.

you're gonna built this using chrome-moly??? WOW!!

well...you're gonna hafta polish it up and post a picture for me then too!!! :cool:

yeah...I agree that as long as you don't park a car up there, you'll be just fine. That chrome-moly will drop the weight of it by a bunch!

"Party on Russ' Bus Roof! Live music and Dancing Girls....BE THERE!!!!!" :D

Sternwake said:
"Lol, and it's always funny to me how a lack of vision and imagination often passes for common wisdom, but thank God there are always those who are willing to challenge said "wisdom""

I'm forced to agree, it's the dreamers who have always moved the world forward. You qualify! :)
Bob

Lol, you bet Patrick and you're invited :D:D:D Yeah chrome molly isn't cheap, but I chose it for it's weight and strength characteristics. It may be overkill, and due to the cost I might just limit it to the vertical supports. Carbon steel will add weight but it's quite a bit cheaper, but still think I can squeak in below 500 lbs. So for the deck frame I am leaning towards 2-1/2 x 1-1/2 14ga 513 steel tubing and expanded metal grating above.
;?D