What's so fantastic about FFs?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vagabound

Reaction score
I've gathered that Fantastic Fans (FF) are the brand of choice.  What I haven't figured out yet is why.

Comparing FFs to other similar fans, what makes them so much better?

Are there any cons to FFs compared to other brands?

Thanks,

Vagabound

I went with MaxxFan because of their integral rain guard.  I don't have to close my vent cover during rain or pay $$$ for a rain sensor automated closer or have one of those huge add-on rain guard hoods on the roof.  Only time I had rain come in was when I was sucking air in (instead of exhausting air) during a hard driving rain.  :blush:

-- Spiff

Fantastic fans make too much noise, the base model runs too fast on low setting so you need to add a speed control.
On the plus side they use very little juice.
Knowing this I installed mine a few weeks ago and for $104.00 delivered it's not bad.

FF used to be a small family owned company, so if you needed support it was a simple phone call and you got someone who cares.
The hood is also polycarbonate, so it will outlast the white polyethylene covers on others. I have one on my trailer that I bought in 2004 and swapped it over from my motorhome. It has been in the AZ sun for 12 years now and other than some yellowing of the inside white parts, which I repainted when I moved it to my Trailer, they look and work as new.

I have to admit, they don't seem to move a lot of air, at least it does not feel that way when standing under one blowing in, but if you blow them out, and crack a window next to your face, you do feel the air moving.

On white plastic stuff on RV's, Paint it all with a good UV protected paint, and they will last longer and not yellow as fast. This goes for AC shrouds, outside outlets, plumbing and refer vents, etc.

I bought a FF. From a authorized dealer. I got ripped off. The Maxx Fan gets better reviews, and can run while you drive.

I also opted for the MaxxxFan in both builds I've done this year. I chose it over the FF due to the lifting mechanism having two lifting arms instead of only one. According to the MaxxAir manual, you can drive with the vent open (though I never do)

Another difference between the two is that the MaxxAir is digital with all push button control.

I just ordered the Maxxair 0007000K. I like that it can be used as a ceiling fan during cold spells to push the heat back down.

DannyB1954 said:
I just ordered the Maxxair 0007000K. I like that it can be used as a ceiling fan during cold spells to push the heat back down.

Ceiling fan mode works really well when the fan is in reverse (blowing out).  It's a bit counter intuitive, bit definitely a great feature

800 CFM not enough...?

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|6880|2290149|2290150&id=3385779

Here is a 2000CFM fan

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-comp-Electric-Cooling-Automotive-Radiator/dp/B003U7UR3A

Lower the Speed with this:

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Control...36&sr=1-1&keywords=PWM+motor+speed+controller

This post mostly made in jest.
Buy a further FYI,

Slowing a motor via PWM can make the motor whine annoyingly when slowed. Look for a 21KHZ or higher PWM motor speed controller, so only Fido can hear it.

I'm on the Maxxfan bandwagon too. I've used both and prefer the maxx. The only thing I don't like is the control buttons are hard to locate by feel. If I were to buy one again I'd get the remote so I wouldn't have to reach back and try to find the off button every time.

I've driven with mine on many times, but never on purpose. I just forget to close it and don't notice until I'm stopped again and see it up. With the FF I'd hear it rattle around right away.

I do still need to paint the cover. Too much light bleeds through making it hard to sleep during the day.

Vagabound said:
I've gathered that Fantastic Fans (FF) are the brand of choice.  What I haven't figured out yet is why.

I had the same question. After researching the models and competition back and forth for a long time, I finally decided on the Maxxair 7000K MaxxFan Deluxe Fan with Remote and White Lid. It was actually my initial choice, but everywhere I looked people kept saying FF, had me questioning if I was missing something. For all the reasons mentioned above, plus a couple more, the Maxxair seems like the best choice...

I hope the thread continues to get replies, but I want to say thanks now to everyone who responded.  Really useful info.

Sometimes when you luck out and ask the right question, you find out that the emperor has no clothes. ;-)*

If someone wants to add a bit more explanation about how the ceiling fan mode works on the Maxx fans, that would be helpful.

Vagabound

* I'm sure that FFs are F, so no rocks please from FF crowd.

Your fine print is a little small so you may still get rocks! :p

I had to squint to read it on my laptop. Don't know anything about the fans to comment on. :p

I had one of each kind on my class A.
I got a Maxx cover without the fan for the Fantastic.
They both got a workout over 7 months in Death Valley.
The Maxx developed a squeak and I got no response from their cust service.
I used ear plugs when it was on...................
That's all I got for your search for comments.

anewbiewannabe said:
Your fine print is a little small so you may still get rocks! :p

I had to squint to read it on my laptop. Don't know anything about the fans to comment on. :p

Aw, crap.  I didn't think of that.  OK, now more fine print.  Check.

(rvpopeye) The Maxx developed a squeak and I got no response from their cust service.

What?  You mean the folks in New Delhi were out on lunch break and didn't answer the phone?!?  ;-)

Vagabound

Vagabound said:
If someone wants to add a bit more explanation about how the ceiling fan mode works on the Maxx fans, that would be helpful.

If you run the fan with the cover closed, it takes the warm air at the top of the vehicle and pushes it back down. a small portable fan can be set up to do this as well, but it is not as handy. You have to figure out how to hang the portable fan. If you are running a heater is where this is nice. Without circulation your head can be hot, and feet cold.

DannyB1954 said:
If you run the fan with the cover closed, it takes the warm air at the top of the vehicle and pushes it back down. a small portable fan can be set up to do this as well, but it is not as handy. You have to figure out how to hang the portable fan.  If you are running a heater is where this is nice. Without circulation your head can be hot, and feet cold.

Ah, I've got it now.  Very handy.  Thanks.

Vagabound

I have the Maxx air with remote and FF with remote. The FF makes more noise and has a super annoying hum with certain speeds (this unit is the new tech). The plastic used on FF's seem super cheap in comparison to the Maxx Air. The worst part is the FF's cost the same as Maxx Airs and the company that now owns FF is nowhere as good as the old owners. I called them about my top of the old line model about a part. They said "we don't support that model anymore, you need to buy an upgrade" Sadly I bought the upgrade and wish I had spent the extra 80 bucks and had a totally new Maxx Air.

eroshan said:
I have the Maxx air with remote and FF with remote.  The FF makes more noise and has a super annoying hum with certain speeds (this unit is the new tech).  The plastic used on FF's seem super cheap in comparison to the Maxx Air.  The worst part is the FF's cost the same as Maxx Airs and the company that now owns FF is nowhere as good as the old owners.  I called them about my top of the old line model about a part.   They said "we don't support that model anymore,  you need to buy an upgrade"  Sadly I bought the upgrade and wish I had spent the extra 80 bucks and had a totally new Maxx Air.

Welcome, and thanks for the added info on the fan comparison.  Helpful.

Seems to me that the consensus (as much as there ever is one) is that Maxx Air is better now, with good reasons listed in the thread so far.

Vagabound

Latest posts