What's not to love about a tent

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean like living in one instead of an RV? Are you serious?

There's a thing called "overlanding". People drive a Land Rover, or similar vehicle, from the northern part of Alaska to the southern tip of South America, or drive from London to Cape Town, or London to Calcutta. Many of these people live for months at a time in tents. Lots of these rigs have tents that mount on the roof of their vehicle. Google "rooftop tents" if you want to see pictures of such things.

Sounds kind of like an "extreme sport" version of living in your vehicle.

Regards
John

jeanontheroad wrote:
You mean like living in one instead of an RV? Are you serious?
= = = = = = =

Is that a serious question? Of course like living in one! I know many people who live in tents instead of cars, vans or RVs. I have one friend who lives on a bike and doesn't even have a tent, he has a bivvy sack. He loves his life! My advice when people ask me about it is to have a vehicle you can stay in during storms, especially wind-storms, otherwise a tent is a very viable option.

I will admit though, that all the people I know who lived in tents did it for a year or two and then moved into a van. You really need to have a vehicle to be in during the storms. Then the tent becomes a great extension to the van.
Bob

I haven't found a van, yet, that meets my criteria. So, I've been in and out of a Pontiac Vibe. I just purchase a pretty cool tentso if Istay in one place for more than a day or two I can expand my living space.

In theory it almost raises itself. And it folds back into itself so there's no bag to squish it into.
Fast forward to 1 minute to skip the intro

And, by the way, there's two Overland Expos (East and West) held every year
http://www.overlandexpo.com/
I've never been, but it's
on my list.

Bob, my problem with a tent is that you can't keep determined wildlife out. As we love the mountains and hills, where we have seen bear tracks right by the campgrounds and wolf tracks on nearby trails, you will not find me in a tent. No way.

I had not even thought sbout storms.

I have used tents since the mid 60's. the only time I am actually in the tent if it's raining or to cold or to snowy outside. i even have a military tent that measures 18'x32', with a wood burning stove. yes that is 18 feet by 32 feet. it is quite roomy and comfy but it takes 4 guys minimum to set it up 6 guys is better. when i was in Alaska i lived in a tent trailer one summer. we had a grizz walk right through camp one night, tracks went between the trailer and the fire ring. on another occasion a noise woke me, i cracked the zipper next to my bed and peered though the hole. a cow moose was there and must have heard me unzip, she was curious i guess and was sniffing that stranger on the other side of the canvas. her nose and my eyeball was 1 inch apart, i felt her exhale on my eye. i have never felt threatened in a tent. however some places will not let you tent camp in a regular camp ground. denali np is one. you must have a hard sided rv/camper. however as i get older i am getting tired of tents. the time it takes to set up and break down, breaking your tent down wet, basically no insulation, cheap tents do not perform well in wind. so i am going to build an off road toy hauler trailer. it will have a bed, shower, kitchen and room to store my gear. i will still sleep outside in good weather, there is just something about sleeping under the stars. highdesertranger

I think my main fear sleeping in a tent is being crushed by a falling tree in a storm. Of course, I can be crushed by a falling tree in my RV, too, but it somehow doesn't seem as imminent. Here in WA we do get a lot of trees falling in the wind. Especially when the ground is soft from rain. I still have my tent [it's a lightweight backpacking model] but it's been about five years since I've used it.

I got this at Costco for under $100.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1T39T98QZPVJ64AJWDRZ

I wanted a tent my wife could set up by herself, it's amazing it opens like a giant umbrella. No pole to put together or slide into places. Just unfold it and extend out the legs, it take a couple of minutes. There is enough room for a queen blowup up and an oversized cot with an isle between. If I was car camping in a park Id be very happy with it.

I have an EZ-Up that I use for working under at motorcycle rallys.

We got the zip-on side walls for it, and now use it regularly for camping.

It gives us a full 10' x 10' cabin, with 7' of headroom...and sets up completely in about 10 minutes.

here we are set up in Glacier NP...

P1010358.JPG

heck...we have a carpet that we put down in it, with a table and chairs, and we sleep on cots! Talk about comfy & cozy!! :D

Attachments

• P1010358.JPG
    P1010358.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 21
I just finished doing some backyard tent camping with my grandsons (6, 8, 11). It was fun. When inside the tent, it felt like a secret hiding place where we stayed up laughing and talking into the night. But, I also slept under the stars with the 11yo. And I have to say I really enjoyed that ... sharing that connection to nature with him.

When traveling solo in the Prius, I'd never thought about moving my bed outside on clear calm nights ... not in a tent, but with the Milky Way directly overhead. The last time I overnighted in the backcountry like that (25 years ago via horseback), I woke up with elk droppings all around me ... I slept while they grazed.

Let me tell you my experience at one RTR. We had 3 EZ Ups, this how they fared:

1) One was well staked down, it was destroyed.
2) Another it's owner saw how bad it was and pulled it down, it was only partially destroyed.
3) A third wasn't staked down it literally blew away 2 miles. I found it a week later when I was out walking in the wash. It was also destroyed.

The desert can be hard on tents.
Bob

Wind is hard on tents in flat desert areas. Wind is hard on tents in mountain sides. Wind is hard on pop up tent trailers when driving down the highway (lol). Wind in a thunderstorm is hard on tents. Wind in a blizzard is hard on tents.

so what are you saying offroad wind is hard on tents? ha ha. so true. a dust devil went though our camp this year. I have one of those framed canopies the tarp got thrown away at the dump. it was shredded. on the bright side I got about 20 years out of it and I still have the frame so I will get a new tarp. highdesertranger

My tents tend to be backpacking designed four season tents. They in theory can withstand wind and snow loads. Bought one that is more of a teepee design as that in theory will shed the wind. But have yet to try it in a wind storm.