What's it like in the winter?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen

Reaction score
I tried searching for this topic, but didn't see anything. If it's out there and I just missed it, please feel free to move this to a more appropriate place.

We are new and will soon be hitting the road at least part time within the next six months to a year depending on the will of the gods. What I want to know is where to go during the winter months.

We currently live in upstate NY, but will be moving to MI in the next six months or so. Neither place is where I want to be in the winter. My brother, who owns a huge A Class and is a sissy when it comes to cold weather says anywhere above Sarasota FL to too cold in the winter. That doesn't leave much. This comes from someone who lives in South Carolina.

To me, cold is multiple night below freezing with days never getting above 45. I can take a few of those living in my teardrop, but not for weeks on end.  I have watched the videos on the winter RTR and hear what the temps are like and think that isn't too bad. 

For those of you not driving around in movable luxury hotels, where do you go in the winter?

I know many on this site are in dire financial straits, so this doesn't apply to all. But for the rest who are saving amazing amounts of money by living so cheaply, here is my take on winter. Just get out to some southern-western area. 98% of the time you will be fine. On those rare times when something severe moves in (keep up-to-date on weather reports) find a reasonable motel somewhere. Hole up, take baths and showers to your hearts content, crank the heater up and enjoy. You will still be way ahead of any other plan that involves a stationary location.

bseek said:
I know many on this site are in dire financial straits, so this doesn't apply to all. But for the rest who are saving amazing amounts of money by living so cheaply, here is my take on winter. Just get out to some southern-western area. 98% of the time you will be fine. On those rare times when something severe moves in (keep up-to-date on weather reports) find a reasonable motel somewhere. Hole up, take baths and showers to your hearts content, crank the heater up and enjoy. You will still be way ahead of any other plan that involves a stationary location.

Thanks, bseek. I have a feeling that your advice is about as good as it gets.

I do see now that this thread probably fits better under the "Discussions that don't fit anywhere else" place. If a moderator would like to move it, that would be fine!

For us its all about being comfortable living in our van without the need for motels.
We go down to Quartzsite and Yuma to catch the warmest winter weather and travel north to cooler places in summer.
We're not into paying for camping and motels are out of the question.

We've spent the winter in a lot of different areas , including Pennsylvania which I don't recommend! You can do it and stay fairly warm if your RV is well insulated but it's not really comfortable.

We stayed in southern Alabama and Mississippi in Corp of Engineer parks over a couple of winters. We really enjoyed staying at the parks and the weather wasn't bad, in the 50 during the day and not below freezing at night, but we prefer slightly warmer temperatures so now we either go to Florida or to the southwest. You don't have to go as far south as Sarasota. We spent most of the winter of 2014 in northern Florida from Jacksonville to Orlando and were very comfortable.

No matter where you go there will be a few days that are well below the average temperatures but it's not anything that can't be endured.

SOUTHWEST!
Yuma, Arizona and the Imperial Valley of California..... Holtville, Salton Sea and The Slabs!
Ehrenberg and Quartzsite, Arizona....Winter in the BEAUTIFUL State of Arizona is wonderful!

I'm in the PNW...so the winters aren't terrible. It freezes, but it doesn't get into a Midwest style deep freeze. I didn't even use a heater this last winter (it broke, and I figured I'd cope)...just eat right before bed to get the metabolism fired up (amazing, the difference that makes) and crawl under a bunch of thick blankets while still wearing a stocking cap and scarf and mittens, lol. Sometimes the condensation freezes on the inside walls. :D Then you get up, fire up the engine, make a pot of coffee, turn on the hot air, and go about the day.

Something that worked really well in the past: Work a graveyard shift. You're working in a heated space during the coldest hours, and its actually more secure parking and sleeping during the day. Nobody cares about your vehicle at all when the sun is up.

Oddly enough, I think a smaller space like a teardrop will be more comfortable than a big RV unless you use a lot of energy heating it. All those windows let out a ton of heat!

If you can make it a few days you can make it through the winter. Just get some warm clothes, a couple of warm blankets, and get used to wearing a hoodie to bed. I find I can get warmer in bed than I can sitting up so I try to sleep during the coldest hours. That's supposed to be good for you, anyway.

Also, click the "heat and cold" link in the upper left to see how Bob handles things.

Southern Florida is about the warmest, but gets a fair amount of rain in the winter. Free camping is much more difficult as well. Too me it has zero appeal. I go there often in the winter because my mom is there, and I'm always glad to leave!

No doubt about it, south east Arizona is best--by far!! It's actually much sunnier there than in Florida, Yuma AZ is the sunniest place in the country with over 300 days of sunshine a year. The desert can and does get cold, but never bitter cold. Best of all is the huge amount of free and beautiful camping--nothing compares. And the sunsets--incredible!! There is a reason there is a sunset on the Arizona flag!! I'd go there just for them!

The California desert is warm as well with very good camping but the cost of living is much higher.

Go to Arizona!!!!
Bob

Hi
Anybody go to Mexico for the winter? I've heard that's wonderful.
Bast

In addition to what the others said about AZ in the winter, I found that being near water in AZ made it feel even more moderate on those colder nights. I found being camped on the banks of the Colorado a whole lot different 'cool' than the desert cool.

Being from northern Ontario I keep telling people that 'cold' is relative. Did we have a few cold nights in AZ this past winter, yes we did. I even dragged out my winter ski jacket from storage a couple of times. And then had to drag it back in to the storage box a couple of nights later. A blankie around my butt at the campfire and a pair of light gloves, a hat or headband and a fleece lined flannel jacket was sufficient for most nights. I also found a neat way this spring to deal with the colder mornings....laze around in bed reading a book until the sun warms the neighborhood up.... :D It's not like I had to rush off anywhere first thing in the morning!! Actually most mornings I got out and walked, both the sun and the exercise warmed me up in a hurry.

Even southern Florida can get cold snaps as any farmer there will tell you. The panhandle of Florida doesn't often see freezing temps but it's also rarely shorts and t-shirt weather.

There's also Baja Mexico and the Texas barrier island area if AZ isn't your thing.