What would I need to do to enable my set-up to handle using a VitaMix?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PattySprinter

Reaction score
Right now I have a Goal Zero lithium 400 and two 30 watt solar panels.
My VitaMix 5200 has on it that it is 120 V and 11.5 Amps (50/60 Hz)

I saw on some videos where some appliances ramp up (sorry it that is the wrong term.) and then settle at a lower usage until it cycles and kicks back up for a short time.
I want to make sure that I don't ruin my system by not having the math down correctly.

I took notes that Amps x V = Watts ...
11.5 x 120 = 1,380 ...

Does that mean I would need to accomidate about 1400 watts? If so, it might be time to gift that VitaMix away  :( 

I like the Goal Zero (I know - my son told me I could make one cheaper) because I don't have to worry about mounting inverts or control panels.

Plug it in and try it. When my inverter is overloaded it beeps and shuts off. If it spins up empty try filling it with whatever Vitas you Mix and try that. The peak starting surge could be 10 times the normal running current. The only way to tell if your inverter will start that motor is to try it.

You CAN know wether the inverter will start it by measuring with a kill a watt. Spend the $20 spend a few minutes search8ng and reading about how to use it. Takes notes. Do the math
You will KNOW everything you will need. Run the device for the longest toughest job you can imagine. This will put the most stress and consume the most power. Use that big job as your baseline and just allow for extra power when you work it less on smaller jobs.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sounds like you will need a 2000 watt continuous/4000 watt surge inverter and possibly a pure sinewave capable one.
Ask around if someone is using that size inverter in their rig and try to run it on theirs. This will let you know what you need without guessing. Although this mixer will draw heavy amp load from your batteries and overall you may be better off gifting it.

Afraid that Vitamix (I have one) is as bad for your batteries/system as a microwave.  I was hoping to be able to run a small 700 watt mirowave off a single 1500 PSW inverter fed from a 125 amp 12v AGM, with the requisite thick cabling...  I was hoping that the 2-4 minute power usage would be ok for the proposed system to handle. 

I pm'd Bob Wells and asked him (all the above). His reply was that a single 12v AGM isn't going to be able to handle the voltage sag, the inverter would shut off, and I would need four 6V golf carts to be able to successfully run it. 

Now you may not run your VM as long as 4 minutes YET if you are using frozen fruit in it that makes it really work. I dont have a K.O.W. meter however I can tell you the lights dim in my condo kitchen when I use it...  :(

Don't gift the VM, find more batteries!  :shy:

I donated my Vitamix to the Goodwill. I had liked the older one, but the newer ones with their vibration and holding them down, I bought a single serve blender that I love, a chopper with a handpull. It was a power pig in the house.

You can also pick up a standard domestic blender which might suffice (not for frozen fruit though) or a Nutribullet type single server... they use less wattage.  Accept softer frozen fruit and it could work for you.