What will it take to navigate these roads safely?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, common sense and a set of tires the rocks will not chew up. I'd have more issues with the trailer getting under the branches than getting over the rocks.

Our neighbor drove his Chevy 2 wheel, front wheel drive sedan down the Blue Notch Trail to Lake Powell to go fishing and on the way back rescued two people stuck, one with a dirt bike and the other the ranger with a 4 wheel drive truck that had come to rescue the biker. He only stopped because they were in the way. He worked the power lines in Montana for years and learned how to drive off road. He only got some scratches on the bottom side of the plastic on his car and showed the others how to get unstuck. Experience and practice are the best tools to have off road.

+3 or 4 on driving practice and experience.

I was going to list it as the most important tool but then figured I'd be seen as being sarcastic at best  :D :p 

Don't ever go further than your gut instinct tells you is okay for you to go. If that's only 50' off the road so be it.

I know I've been disappointed at times...wanted to get to a geocache only to have to look at the road/trail in and say to myself 'self, y'all better just back up right now, ain't getting there'.

Personally, I'd be able to do up to road 4. Road 5 I'd probably take a look at and turn around... :D

I had new street tires when i went out west.  2 flats in the desert let me know quick to get good AT tires.   World of difference.

Get a come-along, a strap, a shovel, plug kit and air pump and you should be fine in just about any scenario.  If in snowy areas, bring chains.

If you plan to be someplace sandy or muddy, you can put all that in a milk crate with some good quality cable zip ties.  If you need a traction mat, you can cut the milk crate into pieces, and zip tie them into a traction mat.

tx2sturgis said:
Roads like that are not bad when dry, but after a few days of rain?

That's when it pays to have water, food, and power supplies. 

I think Bob and HDR have both advised waiting a few days after a rain before crossing iffy stuff.

MrNoodly said:
I've done roads like the first three in my 2WD open-diff Express with all-season highway tires without any problems. I've done one or two like the fourth example with the same tires, but the roughness was exhausting and tedious and it turned out the trip wasn't worth it, with much nicer places being easier to get to.

That's what I was going to say.  I do 1, and 4 (when dry) with my pickup and motorcycles.  3 is more fun on a motorcycle/scooter.  5 was never fun for me, even with a Jeep CJ5.  Too punishing.

Seems to me that a mountain bike would work well for exploring the tougher stuff:  light to carry, easy to maneuver around tricky stuff.

yes when a storm blows through wait a few days before trying to get out of the back country. out west here usually by the third day the roads are passable. x2 on the always have a safety surplus of food and water no matter what time of year. also x2 on your gut instinct if you think no, don't try it. as has been mention driving off road takes practice and experience. once you get some off road driving under your belt you will get better and better at it. at first it helps to have someone with experience with you, a second vehicle. highdesertranger