What will I need for solar?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silveraiden

Reaction score
I have a 97 Nissan Pathfinder. It's a piece of crap, but I'm going to live in it until it dies then buy a van. So I'm not looking for anything fancy.

I have room for 1 100 w flexible solar panel on the roof. Can you guys  tell me EXACTLY what equipment I will need? I would like it to charge phone (for alarm clock function) kindle (for entertainment) and laptop (for browsing the internet. The phones only need to be charged once a week, the kindle lasts two or three, unsure about the laptop. I would also like some kind of a fan perhaps, but I'm not sure. I may just hammock in the woods and use the car as a homebase because I will be working the night shift this summer and the car just may be too hot to sleep in. But I would like some refrigeration. Is there a tiny fridge I can run?

I need to know what I will need in terms of inverters and controllers and whatnot. I don't need anything too fancy.

Is the Goal  Zero Yeti a waste of money? Seems like it.

I just saw that there is a dedicated forum for solar. I'll start this there and mods can delete it. sorry

They can move it over.

Anything you buy can transfer to the new van, unless you murder your battery.

Yes fancy power packs are not frugal.

Best value for money true deep-cycle battery is 2x Sam's Club Duracell branded golf car 6V cells, big and heavy but great AH capacity. Also available from Batteries+, actually made by Deka/East Penn, very well respected mfg, 200+ AH.

If you can get it charged up to 100% full ASAP most cycles, and don't draw it down below 50% too often, it will last many years. Maybe $180-200 for the pair, plus wiring and some gadgets like an isolating solenoid.

This will be plenty, in fact overkill for everything but the fridge. For that you need to be more aware of putting back in what it consumes, again ideally daily.

A decent commute will help for sure, but might need adjusting your VR setup to get the most from your Alt, and some of that investment doesn't come with you to the new van.

Anywhere you can plug a charger into the grid once in a while?

Solar does require you parking in the sun, unless you get a suitcase style folding setup and long thick wires.

For your situation in the Pathfinder, I think the Yeti 400 would be a good fit. Just run the cable from the solar panel to the Yeti thru a cracked window maybe? I think you'll need an adapter for the cable from solar panel to the Yeti, though. Nice and compact and gives you the USB and AC charging. I bet you can find the older model for much cheaper than MSRP as they seem to be moving to Lithium batteries.

Alternatively, you can build your own (may for less cost and/or with better components, but probably take up much more room). You'd need:

Battery and some way to secure it. Should be AGM b/c you'll have no way to vent in your truck.
Charge controller (maybe get a 20Amp MPPT that you can use in van when you have more room for panels)
Inverter (if you are just using for laptop you can get a smaller inverter, I think many laptops are 85W or less)
Cables, fuse, fuse holder

You ask  for EXACT, ~~~  

Unless you know exactly what you are going to be using, exact is not possible   ;)

Power goes to controller, then to storage battery.  Power comes from battery, to the devices by way of a fusebox and various power outlets.  In the middle are fuses to protect everything.  

You need to know what you will be using to know what you need to get.

Attachments

• solar chart.jpg
    solar chart.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Be 10.jpg
    Be 10.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 14
Well you can drive into an RV shop that sells solar, they'll be happy to tell you "exactly" what to buy, install it for you and everything!

Travelmonkey said:
For your situation in the Pathfinder, I think the Yeti 400 would be a good fit.  Just run the cable from the solar panel to the Yeti thru a cracked window maybe?  I think you'll need an adapter for the cable from solar panel to the Yeti, though.  Nice and compact and gives you the USB and AC charging.  I bet you can find the older model for much cheaper than MSRP as they seem to be moving to Lithium batteries.

Alternatively, you can build your own (may for less cost and/or with better components, but probably take up much more room).  You'd need:

Battery and some way to secure it.  Should be AGM b/c you'll have no way to vent in your truck.
Charge controller (maybe get a 20Amp MPPT that you can use in van when you have more room for panels)
Inverter (if you are just using for laptop you can get a smaller inverter, I think many laptops are 85W or less)
Cables, fuse, fuse holder
I honestly don't think there's be room enough in the Pathfinder for all the equipment for a diy solar setup. after me, and my clothes, there's just not much space in the old suv. i might get the yeti and eat the loss. if i can get out before the month is up i won't have to pay rent so it will be less money than i planned on spending anyways.

and i have decided that i won't be sleeping in it during the summer. it's simply too hot in broad daylight (i work the night shift) i will leave it the parking lot at work as a home base and sleep in a hammock in the nearby woods i found on google earth.

The easiest way to do it is a simple suitcase solar system. No install of anything required, simply clip onto your existing battery and place the panels in the sun. Pack away when you are done or want to move. These systems already have a charge controller built in so it can easily come with you when you decide to purchase a van

Here are a few
ECO-WORTHY 12 Volts 120 Watt Portable Folding Polycrystalline PV Solar Panel Foldable Solar Suitcase
HQST 100 Watt 12Volt Off Grid Polycrystalline Portable Foldable Solar Panel Suitcase with Charge Controller
Renogy 60 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Foldable Solar Suitcase

The 60 watt will do just fine for mild use of that laptop and no problems with the phone charging. If you burn through a laptop battery each day (or more), I'd go for the 100 watt or greater.

Your car battery should be ok as long as you use the solar panel each day. If you think there may be extended times without solar, you will kill your car battery within a few hours. You can buy an inexpensive deep-cycle battery from Walmart to replace your car battery for a little more longevity in the battery and not have to have a battery inside the vehicle with you at all. A small 100-150 watt cigar lighter style inverter will power/charge them just fine.

The key to success is generating 10% to 25% more electricity than you use.  In the original post you listed what you want to use your system to power and that included a refrigerator.  Everything else can be powered by a 100 watt panel.  The fridge needs another panel.

A couple of golf cart batteries will give enough capacity to not be a problem given that they are adequately charged.

A cheap PWM controller can be made to work if you pay attention daily.  A nice controller / monitor system will, if set up right, manually monitored, an adjusted, keep your battery happy.

So, exactly, one panel of 100 watts, refrigerator plus normal household loads, you need another 10 to 20 amp hours per day.

Van-Tramp said:
an inexpensive deep-cycle battery from Walmart to replace your car battery for a little more longevity in the battery
A true deep-cycle is only a little more expensive and much better value, 12V simply not available in big box or automotive retail.

What those outlets VERY deceptively label as "marine" and "deep cycle" are really starter batts, just a little thicker plates, really won't last long with actual deep cycling usage.

Better to wait until install space and funds are available for a true deep cycle, especially if a fridge is in the cards.

Meantime the laptop, phones can make do between the solar suitcase and/or driving charging the car battery and plugging in gadgets at work.

Maybe a pocket-sized Aukey power pack to supplement?

Some even jumpstart the car in a pinch, but those can get pricey.