What vinegar can and can't do

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Epsom salt dissolved in vinegar, with a bit of Dawn dish soap.......Heck of a weed killer. Just sayin'

Queen said:
From what I saw at the store yesterday... about a buck and a half.  :p

Nice one!

I was looking at the bottles carefully in the grocery store yesterday as well. The average concentration in white vinegar was 5% acetic acid. There was some cheapy save your money vinegar that was 4%. I never looked at the apple for concentration.

I'm starting to think this whole vinegar thing is a lot like vitamins and colloidal silver. Doubtful that the main ingredient will do what everyone hopes it will do in the first place regardless of concentration, and then at the trace amounts present after we dilute it again, probably won't do any better than spitting on the dishes. But that's just my first blush opinion.

Tom

I use vinegar as an underarm odor neutralizer. Don't care for the smell when initially applied, but the smell goes away quickly and I'm pretty much odor free for 24 hrs. I've had a tough time in recent years with "natural" deodorants; either they didn't work well or they caused issues with my skin.

I use a small plastic bottle sprayer to apply the vinegar. You can get the sprayer in the travel section of the health & beauty aids department at Walmart for under $1. I use a quart bottle of Great Value vinegar that costs $0.82 at Walmart and should last me quite awhile.

Plain, dry baking soda works, too -- just dust it on. But the effect fades if you're sweating bad.

well, i just randomly tried vinegar and lemon juice to clean the oxidation off a silver-plated tray today, just on a whim, and i'll be darned if it didn't work like a charm.  i always use vinegar and baking soda paste to clean soap scum and crud in the tub and sink.  on the road, i'm one of those spray-bottle vinegar people...  dishes, van windows, countertop, etc., good hair rinse if you are in a hard water area.  i cleared a yeast infecton in the dog's ear by wiping out with apple cider vinegar and then rubbing on a little virgin coconut oil for several days in a row.  maybe you just have to believe  :D.  i think one of the main reasons for using it on dishes is that it's not harmful  to the natural environment like dish soap can be...  i clean with warm water and then spray with vinegar and wipe or let dry...  i don't cook meat and i'm the only one who will eat off the dish next time, so i guess i'm pretty safe.?.

The average concentration in white vinegar was 5% acetic acid.
I'm starting to think this whole vinegar thing is a lot like vitamins and colloidal silver. 

well but then hydrogen peroxide is concentrated at only 3% and it works...

I just thought of something. I use pure vinegar to clean my S&B stovetop. It never fails to get the grease off. I'm also a strick vinegar and baking soda cleaning type. I'll do more experiments with camp dishes this summer. Got a busy summer planned.

you can also make a good buttermilk substitute with it, i think its 1 cup of milk 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar.

As a sushi chef, I have used vinegar as a food safe, effective disinfectant for many years. It works by lowering the pH to a level where bacteria can't grow. We use it on everything, from our hands and cutting boards to inside the sushi rice itself. Rice wine vinegar is the "su" in sushi. Salt is also a food safe cleaner/disinfectant we use to scrub/deep clean everything from cutting boards to removing the slime (protective mucus covering) from shellfish, like octopus. It works by crenating microorganisms causing plasmolysis and desiccation (basically drying them out to the point they shrink and die - think salt on a snail). One of the ways we make salmon safe to eat raw is by salting then vinegaring the fillets to kill not only bacteria, but mainly parasites. Just don't leave the vinegar on the salmon too long or it will chemically "cook" it and you will have salmon ceviche instead.

Chip

poncho62 said:
Epsom salt dissolved in vinegar, with a bit of Dawn dish soap.......Heck of a weed killer. Just sayin'
Coming in a bit late here, but epsom salts is GOOD for plants. I first looked it up when a neighbor said she uses it for a weed killer, but it didn't work so well. Iuse table salt, vinegar and dish soap.
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/soil-fertilizers/epsom-salt-gardening.htm
"...Epsom salt helps improve flower blooming and enhances a plant’s green color. It can even help plants grow bushier. Epsom salt is made up of hydrated magnesium sulfate (magnesium and sulfur), which is important to healthy plant growth..."
Even with table salt, I get different weeds than "normal", but it if I get the new growth while it's still new it does kill any of them. Not all, but many. I still often use a pre-emergent before rain.