What type of charger for my solar set-up?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamsack

Reaction score
Hi all,<br>OK I'm getting closer to figuring out what I need for my electricity set-up in my van.&nbsp; First off, I will be getting 2 of these flexible solar panels:<br><br>http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Battery-Charger-batteries-components/dp/B004TIPKUE/ref=pd_sbs_ol_7<br><br>However, when it comes to what kind of charger I'll need, I'm still confused.&nbsp; Whichever charger I get, it will be to charge 2 AGM deep cycle batteries.&nbsp; As for how many amp hours I can get, I'm not sure.&nbsp; I will probably try to get the largest amp/hours I can afford.<br><br>Will the charger (shown in the link) be sufficient to regulate the charge to the 2 batteries?&nbsp; Should I need to have a solar charger that can bulk, trickle charge....or am I even asking the right question?&nbsp; From what I think I know, sealed lead acid (AGM) batteries are very finicky regarding how they should be charged, so I want to be sure not to get the wrong type of charger and end up either damaging the batteries or not charging them up sufficiently.&nbsp; Thanks all.<br><br>

The controller should be able to handle what the pannels it's sold with put out.&nbsp; If that's enough to charge your batteries in a reasonable amout of time, that should be fine.&nbsp; (A MPPT controller might be able to get 10-25% more charge from the same pannels.)<br><br>Note that flexable pannels tend to be 2-4 times as much surface area as conventional pannels of the same wattage.<br><br>

The Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT is designed for 15 amps.&nbsp; It will do fine with your panels.&nbsp; My kyocera kd135 I think maxes out at 9amps or so.&nbsp; <br><br><br>