What to look for when buying a used cargo van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, I have been going through all the forums for specific search terms "buying a used van" etc...

Do be aware that I have a trusted mechanic where I live.  His shop is experienced in working on vans (they handle the fleet vans for one of their commercial customers). As with anything used, repairs are inevitable. Since we are talking about a used van here, let me ask you based on your experience (especially if you have bought a used van), 

What do I want my mechanic to be looking for the most?

The reason I am asking you is because even trusted mechanic is going to say that sometimes there are things you won't know until it happens.  I know this because after buying and renovating several properties myself, I have had home inspectors and contractors look at the same thing, both telling me it's fine, only to discover later it was not because they were not looking.

I know it's going to be the same with vans.

Obviously there are some details like rust, tires, cracked windows, and my mechanic will be checking it all out, but because I am not a mechanical guy (when it comes to houses, yes, but vehicles, no), I have to ask you because it's your experience you are drawing from.  Let me know if my question doesn't make sense. 

It can be one thing or five things.  Disregard any nitpicking details like, "it depends on where you live, what manufacturer, model, year, etc..." We are talking about common sense stuff that applies to anyone living anywhere looking for all kinds of vans.

I thank you in advance for sharing your experience/knowledge.

I can give you much more relevant info once you have decided on the make and model and range of years you and your budget are focusing on.
I'm sorry if you think that this is nitpicking, but why not get all the info that myself and the other members can provide once you have decided on the most likely choice in vans?

FWIW:  I recently bought a 2012 GMC extended savana g3500 cargo van from Penske with 54k miles on it.  The 4.8L engine and six speed transmission is an excellent combo.

29chico said:
I can give you much more relevant info once you have decided on the make and model and range of years you and your budget are focusing on.
I'm sorry if you think that this is nitpicking, but why not get all the info that myself and the other members can provide once you have decided on the most likely choice in vans?

FWIW:  I recently bought a 2012 GMC extended  savana g3500 cargo van from Penske with 54k miles on it.  The 4.8L engine and six speed transmission is an excellent combo.

It's not really nitpicking.  I do understand what you are saying and can appreciate you waiting on this.  After all, good information do come to those who wait for it. :)

In a sense, it's a funnel approach.  Meaning starting with the most obvious that applies to all models then when I get closer to the time I am ready to buy (since time will be a factor in buying process), the funnel becomes more narrow and focused. 

You mentioned the 4.8L engine which brought up a thought I had before, regardless of the van whether it's a Ford E series or GMC Savana, what makes the engine size "good" (ie. 4.8 vs 5.3 vs etc...) for a converted cargo van.  Does it affect how long the engine can last? (100k vs 250k miles)?

Thanks chico.

How much does a mechanic charge to check out a van each time, onsite? Most sellers won't want to spend time driving their van to your mechanic unless it's like a $10,000+ van or so.

If your shop services a van fleet, I would stick with the brand they prefer. Perhaps they could guide you to a specific body motor combo?

I don't think there is a wrong choose between the big three, although available Dodge's are getting older. Better to do lots of homework if your getting into fringe brands or late models.
I prefer the one ton vans and extended chassis myself. They can be had a very small premium to their light duty cousins.

TheSimpleNomad said:
You mentioned the 4.8L engine which brought up a thought I had before, regardless of the van whether it's a Ford E series or GMC Savana, what makes the engine size "good" (ie. 4.8 vs 5.3 vs etc...) for a converted cargo van.  Does it affect how long the engine can last? (100k vs 250k miles)?

OK...for the size of the engine, then I'd ask you:
where are you driving?? Are you staying in the city?? If so, then I'd buy the smallest engine I could, for simple fuel economy and due to the fact that you won't be moving around much.
...but if you're hitting the road, then you'll need at least a good mid-size engine.

...however...if you're hitting the road, and have a good sized load, or will be pulling a trailer, then I'd say that you're gonna want the biggest engine you can get.

in either case, your mechanic should be checking out the entire front end. All ball joints, tie rods, wheel end play, brakes, rotors, lines, engine compression, engine & tranny fluids, U-joints, rear differential fluids...not to mention all the obvious things he'd usually check.

like we said, the more information you give US, then the more information we can help you with! There's a lot of open ended questions here.

It is not really the size of an engine that makes it good or bad.  People state the displacement of an engine to identify what they are discussing.  The engine in my van is often callled a 4.8 liter or a 4800 when the actual Gm designation is L20.  It is the smallest engine in the very popular LS series of GM small block v8's.  It also does NOT have AFM: active fuel management, AKA cylinder deactivation, which is often problematical due to the complexity of the system and other issues that I won't get into now.

Smaller engines do tend to get better mileage, but truck applications are often more about grunt & power than mileage.  What in the know auto folks want from a truck or van engine is durability & reliability and reasonable fuel economy for the given application.  You can buy a whole lot of gas and come out ahead of owing a rig that has regular high repair & maintenance bills.

For example: there a whole bunch of very reliable inline 4&6 cyl & v8 designs.  However, in the v6 layout there a  surprising amount of less than stellar offerings.  Most of the less than totally reliable v6 engines have cylinder head and cylinder head gasket issues.  Yes, there a few very solid v6's, they just comprise a noticeably smaller percentage of the v6 offerings.

Read up on the Ford modular engines, a lot of aware auto geeks who value reliability over sports car like performance would rather not own one.  They value the older Ford iron head & block pushrod engines for their simplicity and durability.

Transmission reliability is a big concern as well.  Since we are talking vans here, you will probably buy a rig with an auto trans.  There a whole bunch of auto trannys to avoid.  There are plenty of auto trannys that were junk when they were first offered and later they evolved into a viable option. The newer 6 speed units deliver much better performance and mileage compared with the older 4 speed units, often described as 3 speed with overdrive.  However, Ford has come up a bit short in the 6 speed trans reliability department also.  You are hearing this from a very long term Ford truck fan.  I'm also a manufacturing engineer who took the California smog license course to better diagnose his own rigs.  In a previous life, before college, I was a motorcycle tech and got weeks of factory training from Honda, Kawasaki & Suzuki.

Given the above, I respectfully suggest that your search is upside down.  I think that you would much better served to decide which potential choices have less that stellar reliability and/or high repair & maintenance costs as exemplified by the Sprinter vans.  Then don't even think about those offerings again.  Focus on vans that have good reliability and reasonable repair, maintenance & parts costs.  I will not own a vehicle that does not have a wide cheap & deep parts stream.  Why get all involved in researching a van that is going to abuse your wallet on a regular basis to keep it running?

But how does one go about researching all this? The number of options and variables is overwhelming. The available information is sketchy, at best. I thought about setting up a wiki to help people organize this kind of info. But I realized it would be quickly overrun by astroturfed "opinions."

I have had to essentially give up and just assume that the Ford E-series wouldn't have been so popular if they were crap. But even then you got at least a dozen different engines, different transmissions, and styles over the decades.

In the end, all I can do is pick something that is A) available, B) meets my needs, and C) doesn't produce screams of terror when I post its spec's in a forum such as this. After that it is a crap-shoot for most of us. Even an inspection by a good mechanic can't tell me how well the thing will do five years from now.

My biased short list of engines I'd want in their order of desireability most desirable to lest desirable:

Chevy 5.3
Chevy 4.8
Chevy 6.0
Ford 300 Inline 6
Dodge 318
Ford 302
Chevy 350/ Ford 351/Dodge 360 tie
Ford 5.4
Ford v10

Bear in mind that how an engine has been treated all it's life is much more important than it's reputation. The best engine that's been abused will be garbage and an average engine that's well maintained will be a jewel.
Bob

This is awesome, everyone.

You actually helped me narrow down my "overall" selection some more. After both positive and negative experiences with buying both new and used cars, I knew it would be the same boat for vans but my experiences in the van boat is zero.

To clear up a few questions asked here,

It will be used for a mix of city and and highway driving. I can't say for sure if it will be 50/50 but for sure, at least 12K miles per year. (First year or two will be back and forth between PA and FL and possibly TX due to my property business) along with random trips in between (a week in the Smokies, a week at the beach, etc...)

As far as hauling goes, again the primary goal is a minimalist van dwelling lifestyle. One option I am indeed considering is a small trailer for the property business that I can keep in storage in PA and just haul it when I need it in PA only, likewise for FL and TX but you won't catch me hauling it for more than 100 miles at a stretch.

The challenge here is finding one within the budget. I am sure yall know the value of not taking on debt to buy a van. Hence the challenge. However, yall do make a good point on buying a van with a known record for reliability (that's why I love my Honda Civic, 102k miles and still running like the day I drove it off the lot brand new with less than 5k in repairs/replacement parts over 7 years).

One van dweller I know of bought a Mercedes because of their network being the best all over the world and repairing/replacing parts outside the USA was easy enough. That's where I pulled up on the idea of Ford E series but I am keeping that option option for a "local" work van for now.

And transmission is something I hadn't thought about. (Been a stick shifter for 15 years but how likely is a van to have stick?)

Keep your feedback coming like a V8 barreling up a 12% grade in the Himalayas. Love all the info I am learning from you guys.

I am a fan of the long extended 1 ton vans...Like the "overkill", ground clearance, and extra room. As a couple, we need the space but would still be my choice as a single guy.
We were not stuck on whether to get Chevy, Ford, or whatever. The Dodge we got was the best mechanically of those in our price range, had low mileage, new tranny...plus the guy put on a new set of tires and new brakes. We have a rig we like, and moreover, are comfortable in as a home.

Whatever you choose should have comfort and peace of mind topping your personal list of van options.

I'd give your mechanic a heads up qne let him knkow you're looking. Those fleet vans come up for sale and he may know when they are putting one up for sale. They could very well just go to auction, but he may know that, too.

Since he's been servicing the vans he'll know what needs what and what has had what done. He may make a commission and you might offer a finder's fee, as an incentive. Win - win, all around.