What tires would you get?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillipaaron

Reaction score
I'm nomadic and plan to be in all weather and conditions from Texas to Alaska and everywhere in between. I want to get some heavy duty tires that can handle a wide range of weather as well as tough enough to withstand some minor off road usage.

Any suggestions on some good tires to consider?

I had the same question when I first got my van...badly in need of new rubber.

After many much wiser folks here put in their nickels worth, I chose Michelin LTX MS/2s.

After a year, I'm still really impressed with them - good handling on the  highway, fairly quiet and have withstood all my trips up forest service roads both in the desert and the forest   :D

for a compromise between highway and off road I would go with the BFG all terrains. I run BFG's on my truck and find them to be excellent tires. another heads up, get the road hazard and get them at Wal-Mart. that way if you ever have a problem there is a Wal-Mart close by. get the real BFG's not knock offs, real BFG's are made in the U.S. highdesertranger

I agree with HDR.

Of course, since you've got a two-wheel drive van, you only need the off-road tires on the back axle for traction.  If winter travel is part of your agenda, make sure the rear tires you get have the Mountain/Snowflake symbol on the sidewall, which means they meet the industry standards for Sever Snow Service.  I think the BFG's have it.  Tire with a conventional tread pattern would probably provide better steering on the highway, especially at speed.

Ontop of the snow rating, I would highly recommend on only getting LT type tires. (Light Truck).