What RV are you living in?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Type of Vehicle you live in

• Class A

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Class B

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Class C

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • 5th. Wheel

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Van

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Bus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TT

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Camper

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maxine

Reaction score
I would like te see what vehicle you all live in. Tell my your type
:) Maxidane

Just for clarification:

I'm solo and live full-time in a 2002 GMC Savana 2500 with a 24" high top fiberglass roof so I have full standing height.

I designed and built the interior myself so I have a twin size bed; a composting/separating toilet; a passenger seat that swivels and becomes my living room/dining room/office chair; a pair of 65 qt Whynter fridges; one set up as a fridge, the other a freezer; 40 " of kitchen counter space with sink and extensive amounts of storage for all my stuff!

For a six month stay here, you probably won't want to go as elaborate as my setup but you could live quite comfortably with a temporary /quick install of the basics.

Hi Almost There :)
I am having so a difficult time here at the screen in Denmark. Reading, looking Youtube movies, Looking around.....
What vehicle do I want???
Well, I need to be able to stand up. I like the idea of storage room for some woodworking tools. I need some living area....
If I had the place for it, I would build it myself so I know what I get and that it is absolutely as I want it to be. 
I have been looking at Box trucks and like the room place. I also like the romance of a Bus. A Van, well Yes but I am so afraid that it gets to small for me. I am a big lady and stiff in the bag so I need room....

I think it it near impossible to decide before I see all the vehicles and then I must decide from there. Where can I rebuild, Where to buy tools,....

I would love to learn from you and your Van. If you are any near Las Vegas in start October, please let me hear.

:) Maxine

We have a 25' class C. By choice we do not have a lot of the standard amenities - no air conditioning, awning, automatic levelers, automatic steps, slide outs, generator or microwave. We do have a refrigerator, furnace, stove, shower and toilet, large holding tanks and a good solar system.

This is the a great RV for us because it gives us all the comforts that we want and need but is still small enough to allow us to travel without a towed car. We boondock on public land, dry camp in primitive public campgrounds or overnight in store parking lots and rarely stay in campgrounds with hookups.

I think since you will be traveling a lot you should look for a small box truck or RV if you think a van will be too cramped. It is a tough decision especially for you coming here from another country and not having much time to search around for the right vehicle. Good luck! I hope everything goes well for you!

Hi Maxine,

We built our own RV and it actually sounds a lot like what you would want.  It would be big undertaking for a single woman (or man!) unless people from Denmark just have mad building skills.

It has a full living pod with kitchen, sofa, bathroom, fridge, air condition, furnace, water tanks, 1100 watts solar, queen size bed and 8 feet of headroom (unheard of in an RV).

The best part for you is it has a separate workshop with a built in workbench, cnc milling machine, all LED lighting, ramp door + side door, and its own power supply system.

Both pods can come off the truck when needed, which we actually did for a week just awhile ago to take the truck itself in for service.  We stayed in the pods while they were on the ground and I did a bit of woodworking in the workshop pod.

If you were really into building one, I can give you some tips.

lowerfallscamp.jpgcncmill.jpgRVunload2.jpg

Attachments

• lowerfallscamp.jpg
    lowerfallscamp.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 18
  • cncmill.jpg
    cncmill.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 21
  • RVunload2.jpg
    RVunload2.jpg
    890.9 KB · Views: 21
A small class a, I am able to stand and move about without too much discomfort but I do sacrifice the ability to go very far off the beaten path. My progressively worsening back issues have defined what I can use. I don't want to be rained in and miserable. I can still park on the outer perimeter of most stores and use my "Gezzermoblie" to get to the store.

Any questions feel free to ask. Rob.

IGBT said:
"cnc milling machine"

OK, After reading THAT before I saw the pictures, All I could picture was an old Bridgeport, but was thinking, nahh, probably just a lil 'ole Smithy.

Your little tabletop machine is pretty nice.

Like your shop!

Instead of trying to look at Youtube videos head on down the forum to the build threads.

Here's mine: https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Building-Arabella

Also, take a look at some of the conversion threads that you can link to from the top of the page 'van conversions' and 'other conversions' for ideas.

Remember that this is only going to be for six months, not a lifetime so give yourself some leniency here. For the most part you're going to be living OUT of the vehicle not living IN it. It's only during a few days of inclement weather that us full-timers make plans for living in our vehicles.

Keep in mind that box trucks and buses are going to be harder to insure than a standard van or a commercially built RV (no matter what class it is). Since you're going to want it up and running and liveable quickly, no sense in adding a troublesome dimension to the whole thing unnecessarily.

I don't get to come stateside until early November and then I do sightseeing on my way to the west coast so I don't normally get out to AZ until some time in December. See you at the RTR though!

IGBT said:
Hi Maxine,
We built our own RV and it actually sounds a lot like what you would want.  It would be big undertaking for a single woman (or man!) unless people from Denmark just have mad building skills.

Wow! I'm speechless...that rig is awesome! What an idea!

I live in a 16x8 Road Ranger Travel trailer
unfortunately it's a bunkhouse design, and not a very good one
if I had my choice I'd likely be living in a TAB, except I would finish my tiny cabin first
but if I had no vehicle at all i'd be hard pressed to pick between a class B or C, or a van built to my specs

tonyandkaren
IGBT
Gunny
ZoNiE
Almost There
GCAdventure
ArtW

Thanks for your words. Because it is my first wheels house and I dont know yet if and how long to stay, I'll properly choose a Class C :)
It will be easier to start with (I hope) and the we will see with time.

If I knew that I would stay for good, I would choose to build my self. Having the time to make a dream home, Just as I want it, wow. What a dream :)
I would love some tips, I will make changes to the vehicle, no matter what! I want a wood stove and a big kitchen :)

I can not see my self in a Class A, but I havn't been in one one, so what do I know :) lets see when I land and surf the RV sales places

"No sense in adding a troublesome dimension to the whole thing unnecessarily"[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] Ohh year, you are so right. But sitting by the PC and dream and not knowing......I want it all, but reality will hit me when I land and after the first chock, I will be forced to normality :)[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Life is one choice after another. Choosing one thing often means leaving another behind. Life in a row :)[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I will be making a thread near the date where I land, hoping to meet some RV people in Las Vegas to talk, smile and learn with.[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I land 1. October and hope to see you there at 3-7. October.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Maxine[/font]

Hi Maxine;

Just curious about your approximate budget for buying your RV? We might be able to help you out more if we knew what price range you will be looking in. 6 months doesn't give you a lot of time to waste searching.

A bit of budget idea for your 6 month adventure tour helps too. Other than Vegas & RTR there is SOOOO much you will want to cram into your 6 months in the USA. If you've got several thousands each month then you can see & do it all. If your budget is a bit tight well this is a great group to advise on cheap rv living....*laugh*

As I have shared, I live in a C now & love it. I still miss my bus although it was just 18' bumper to bumper & didn't have enough of the comforts I wanted. I would say with a bad back you will certainly want to be able to stand up inside.

I am starting to get a bit of pre-season excited about just heading south...you must be super excited to be getting ready for this?

Hi Hippiechk
I find it hard to open the talk about money because it causes people to form a picture of me without knowing me.
Some are in economically difficult and sees $ 1,000 as a large amount, for others it is fluff.
But ok, let me break the ice and see what happens :)

I have an idea of 8-10,000 $ is a good sum to find a Class C that will not have too many flaws? I do not know if that's true, will appreciate counsel!
I can stretch the amount a bit, but when I want a safety buffer and make changes too, it would be good to land about there.

I have a monthly living amount of $ 2,000

I do not want to stay in RV sites, but boondock and stay in other places on my way around!

I am SO excited and hope it will not take too long to find my new home. It will be a big pleasure too meet you all and learn form you.

Take care and have fun :)

Maxidane

I think your budget for finding an RV is quite realistic & should give you quite a few to choose from. As I sad before I don't know the market in Vegas or Nevada but I am sure others do.

$2,000 also sound pretty realistic for someone so far from home. If you can ammend your Visa to include a trip to Mexico you can take advantage of the super cheap eyeglasses & the like if you have any needs that way.

Check into things like a National Parks pass ahead so you have less to do once you get here.

I don't attend RTR but I will be in that vicinity so hopefully we can meet. I doubt if I will have time passing Vegas as I have a friend travelling with me & a date in Quartzsite on the 7th.