What rig would you choose in my shoes?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can travel to where the weather is nice the size of your vehicle is the size of the space you find to camp, and with a different million dollar view every time you move. A storage unit somewhere central is a good thing. Smaller can be better.

You are covering a lot of bases. Draw it out in a flowchart or spreadsheet, it will become clear. So I have another thing to throw the mix. Are you going to travel 100% of the time solo? Or will you have a guest or guests come on trips with you? Personally I like the B+ RVs , which are small Class C rigs. They are mostly pretty compact and can get into many of the areas bigger RVs can't. (That's another thing, not all RVs have the same ground clearance, that may become part of your criteria.) I have scanned through the posts above and didn't see these topics discussed.

]Most of the time solo.  There may be a few times I have some family but not in the plans much.  I think that is a pretty good idea with small Class C or B+.  One of the issues with Class C is either you buy low mileage newer and it's very expensive or you buy older higher mileage and you could be in for a nightmare of repairs.  

One of the easiest, lowest cost entries into RV-ing I have seen is the hard sided pop-up Aliner or chalet types.  I have seen used ones on Craigslist for $5k.  And you can tow them with a ultra reliable fuel efficient smaller SUV like say Toyota, Honda, etc...  To me this seems like one of the safest and lowest risk ways to try out a year living in a RV.   I don't need to buy a big 3/4 or 1 ton truck to pull a TT, I don't need to pay a ton of money for a newer Class C or B and get killed on depreciation or take a chance on a used cheaper one that could be a repair nightmare, don't need to buy a "creepy guy" 1980's/90's old converted hi top cargo van (lol...kidding folks!), don't need to tow some giant beast, etc....  And I have a great car to drive around economically wherever I am with the tow vehicle.   And if I want to quit after a year worst case I lose a few grand on the resale of the aliner. Or if I want to upgrade in 6 mos or 1 year it would be easier to sell with out taking a bath.  Even if it were a total loss on resale worst case only out $5k.  Yeah they are small, but I like the low cost, low risk, and fact can be pulled with a economical mechanically reliable tow vehicle.

JamBandFan said:
]Most of the time solo.  There may be a few times I have some family but not in the plans much.  I think that is a pretty good idea with small Class C or B+.  One of the issues with Class C is either you buy low mileage newer and it's very expensive or you buy older higher mileage and you could be in for a nightmare of repairs.  

One of the easiest, lowest cost entries into RV-ing I have seen is the hard sided pop-up Aliner or chalet types.  I have seen used ones on Craigslist for $5k.  And you can tow them with a ultra reliable fuel efficient smaller SUV like say Toyota, Honda, etc...  To me this seems like one of the safest and lowest risk ways to try out a year living in a RV.   I don't need to buy a big 3/4 or 1 ton truck to pull a TT, I don't need to pay a ton of money for a newer Class C or B and get killed on depreciation or take a chance on a used cheaper one that could be a repair nightmare, don't need to buy a "creepy guy" 1980's/90's old converted hi top cargo van (lol...kidding folks!), don't need to tow some giant beast, etc....  And I have a great car to drive around economically wherever I am with the tow vehicle.   And if I want to quit after a year worst case I lose a few grand on the resale of the aliner.  Or if I want to upgrade in 6 mos or 1 year it would be easier to sell with out taking a bath.  Even if it were a total loss on resale worst case only out $5k.  Yeah they are small, but I like the low cost, low risk, and fact can be pulled with a economical mechanically reliable tow vehicle.

Get a sufficient tow vehicle though. research what is involved with making a vehicle tow ready. A transmission cooler, maybe a way to make the rear suspension beefier. An unprepared vehicle can do it for a while, but it will kill it quickly. If you like the car, set it up correctly. In a lot of ways having a separate RV and tow vehicle is a good thing. You can unhook and drive only the vehicle around. That is the precise reason you see so many Class A and C rigs towing cars behind them.

Can't remember what kind of travel you'll be doing if you said, too lazy to look this morning, but we have had 3 pop-ups, none hard-sided although the issues we see with them would remain the same. We would have one now except for the security issues and inability to just stop quickly overnight and then there is the packing up things inside. Also, you'll have much less storage space than what you might expect. Depending on size, the hard-sided can be as heavy as a fiberglass molded like the smallest Scamp.

Have you considered the mini trailers? https://www.eurekacampersinc.com/getaway-6-5-x-8-camper or http://www.runawaycampers.com/ Also, with molded fiberglass, there are a few that run nearly as lightweight or less than some of the hard-sided pop-ups. Good place to look for used: https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/ I have been following the molded fiberglass trailers for several years and they retain value and are easy to sell when one wants to get rid of them.

Only you can know what is suitable for your situation.

There's no single answer/choice to fit you. Indications seem to be that you have the means to purchase a class B up to maybe $40K, but dont want to drop that amount of cash and risk depreciation/repairs... 

Then you talk about used soft or hard sided trailers that are car towable, that limits you a lot.

I think you should just try a minimalist cargo van, something that you will have less invested in than any decent class C and any purchaseable class B.  There's CL high top vans available for under $10K in various big city markets. (I've even seen mid 2000's AWD Chevy Express vans in that $9-13K range).  

You could outfit a van like that with a basic solar package, RV batteries, c.d.solenoid and wiring for less than $1,000.  Then if wanted, an inverter and some 12 volt appliances/camp stove/lanterns (which you may already own) for less than $500 (all new prices).  Then just go try it.  All of that equipment (well, maybe not 100%) is transferable to another vehicle or trailer should you change your mind.

A 3/4 T van has the ground clearance and capability to take you down (and back) rough roads. If you follow temps then you dont need to go all out on interior insulation and finish, another cost savings. Just install the F Fan for ventilation.

If all this is just too much for you, purchase an older 90's Roadtrek and call it good. They keep their values so well that unless you suffer a major breakdown you should recover most of your initial investment. Remember you are saving that $1200 Seattle apartment rent every month, that takes the sting out of a new set of tires...

Hope you can narrow down your parameters or you'll go crazy trying to decide. I'm having a hard time just between a minivan or a full size, much less all the other options...   :-/

You may want to look at renting a class c for a weekend and than a TT and so on. See what feels right for you.

If you will be sitting in one place for months at a time a towed trailer will cost less in the long run. If you will be moving every two weeks a class B or C motor home will be easier to set up or take down at each location. If back country camping a modified van, truck cap / tent, or truck and small cargo trailer might be best. If urban stealth camping a plain van seems to work. You just have to best guess what you will be doing and how much space it takes to keep you happy. We started out traveling so a motor home worked best for us. When money got tight and we took seasonal jobs that some times lasted 9 months a trailer worked better. When we stayed 14 days at a time on BLM land a 4 wheel drive truck not only pulled and carried what we needed but was our every day driver to explore from a base camp. As we get older we are looking at a small toy hauler or cargo trailer with a Samurai or VW buggy pulled by a larger V8 SUV.

Good Morning:
I was in a similar situation in that I wasn't sure how long I would like living in a small space, how long I would travel,  being a solo w/ 2 cats and a small dog and I have been fortunate enough to see a lot of the country already. Also I only had about $7000 to work with. I found a 25 ft 1988 class C mini rv with only 38,000 miles on it on craigslist for $4500.00 which I ended up buying for $2900.00. New tires ($1,000), registration, minor repairs. Too be honest I didn't spend any time looking around - just picked it and went. It's way too easy to get lost in all the "what if's". Worst case I am out $7000. Traveling solo is fun if you are used to a lot of alone time. If you don't like being alone now - you won't like being alone in whatever vehicle you choose.

When I hear of people who live frugally, I believe that they're adept at making decisions based on needs, and there is an art & freedom to this lifestyle. And this lifestyle is as varied as by the people that live it regarding what we live in. Experience will verify that we've made the correct decision for ourselves, or that we should make a change. Most of us love how we live and what we have, be it van or motorhome or trailer, while many will change it up for personal reasons. I believe that once you've moved from the apartment to the RV, you will not look back. You already have the experiences of travel & hiking, and they always required you to return to your place. In your RV of choice you not only don't have to return, you're even closer to your next experience. How you travel is based on what is important to you, as vans & motorhomes & trailers each have their own pros & cons. As you search and research, you're level of knowledge will increase greatly, and you will have confidence that the decision you've made is right for you. On a side note; after years of just browsing and reading forums, basically with the thought that I have nothing new to add that hasn't already been said, I joined this forum and a small number of others because of the respect that I have for them. Good Luck

This world isn said:
There's no single answer/choice to fit you. Indications seem to be that you have the means to purchase a class B up to maybe $40K, but dont want to drop that amount of cash and risk depreciation/repairs... 

Then you talk about used soft or hard sided trailers that are car towable, that limits you a lot.

I think you should just try a minimalist cargo van, something that you will have less invested in than any decent class C and any purchaseable class B.  There's CL high top vans available for under $10K in various big city markets. (I've even seen mid 2000's AWD Chevy Express vans in that $9-13K range).  

You could outfit a van like that with a basic solar package, RV batteries, c.d.solenoid and wiring for less than $1,000.  Then if wanted, an inverter and some 12 volt appliances/camp stove/lanterns (which you may already own) for less than $500 (all new prices).  Then just go try it.  All of that equipment (well, maybe not 100%) is transferable to another vehicle or trailer should you change your mind.

A 3/4 T van has the ground clearance and capability to take you down (and back) rough roads. If you follow temps then you dont need to go all out on interior insulation and finish, another cost savings. Just install the F Fan for ventilation.

If all this is just too much for you, purchase an older 90's Roadtrek and call it good. They keep their values so well that unless you suffer a major breakdown you should recover most of your initial investment. Remember you are saving that $1200 Seattle apartment rent every month, that takes the sting out of a new set of tires...

Hope you can narrow down your parameters or you'll go crazy trying to decide. I'm having a hard time just between a minivan or a full size, much less all the other options...   :-/

Doing a few custom things on a basic white cargo van say a few years old is a pretty safe way to go in terms of being able to sell it easily and not lose a ton, great mobility, and also being able to get it fixed easily anywhere.  I'd have to find some people that could help me with the customization.  I'd say at this point probably leaning to a Class C pulling a small car.  I like the space inside the Class C as I want to have a decent work space to be able to work on my laptop.  If I were to just have a van for weekend trips I think a mini van or SUV with a inflatable mattress in back would work for me.   But for full time living just need more head room and space to move around.

bullfrog said:
If you will be sitting in one place for months at a time a towed trailer will cost less in the long run.  If you will be moving every two weeks a class B or C motor home will be easier to set up or take down at each location.  If back country camping a modified van, truck cap / tent, or truck and small cargo trailer might be best.  If urban stealth camping a plain van seems to work.  You just have to best guess what you will be doing and how much space it takes to keep you happy.  We started out traveling so a motor home worked best for us.  When money got tight and we took seasonal jobs that some times lasted 9 months a trailer worked better.  When we stayed 14 days at a time on BLM land a 4 wheel drive truck not only pulled and carried what we needed but was our every day driver to explore from a base camp.  As we get older we are looking at a small toy hauler or cargo trailer with a Samurai or VW buggy pulled by a larger V8 SUV.

That's the hardest thing for me to know up front is how I will travel once I start full time RV (move a lot or stay in one place more).  I don't think I will know for sure until I get out on the road for a year and see what I like.  My thinking is I might try to do it like this:

-stay in one location for 4 mos winter
-stay in two locations a month each in spring on the way driving up to summer location in north
-stay one location for 4 mos summer
-stay in two locations a month each in fall on way back down to winter location

....so this would be a total of 6 parks/campgrounds over a 12 mos period.  I would do my daily driving around in my small toad car that I would pull.

It really depends on when I get out there and start looking at what is available for campgrounds/parks and what I will like.  I'm thinking I may park my RV with striking distance to some decent sized towns that I would enjoy and get to know people in.  I'm in my 40's and single (for now at least) and would like to be connected to a town or small city to do things in and hang out in sometimes.   I like camping in the wilderness on occasion as much as anyone, but I don't want to LIVE for long periods way out in the wilderness far from any community or services and be a hermit.   And a lot of the boondocking on BLM and NF land is pretty far away from towns of any decent size.   Then again I don't want to be packed into a urban RV park like sardines with heavy road noise, etc...  And I could always go tent camp or day hike in the wilderness from a base where my RV is parked, using my economy tow vehicle for these day trips or overnights.  So I would try to find a balance of a campground maybe a few miles out of a small city if something like that exists.

So with that lifestyle of moving to maybe around 5-6 locations and always staying at least one month in each location, a travel trailer might be something I could look at.  But I would much rather have my daily driving car as a small economy car vs. a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.  This small economy car I could tow with a Class C, but not with a truck + trailer.  So thus my thinking of the Class C.

You will probably spend as much money on upkeep and fuel as the Class C will have to be driven at least a few hours every few weeks as you would using the truck once or twice a week to run to town. Maybe a bike or scooter carried on the bumper would work for the rest of the time? You must move the Class C not just start it up and let it run which means disconnecting and taking down camp, the trailer can sit blocked up.

JamBandFan, you are correct. I had 2000 Keystone Challenger 38 ft 3 slides solid built. I bought it used, good shape had it for 4 years lived full time in it. I sold it last year. resale value was good. Looked at New keystone TT 35 foot. They are junk!!! it wont hold up in 5 years.

JamBandFan said:
What I would suggest is asking a friend or renting one of each kind for even one night, including driving and set-up/tear-down.   You'll "know" really fast.

I highly suggest a decent pickup truck and trailer/5th wheel. I spent many years in a shorty class A RV. The problem with RVs is the suspensions are big truck setups, like 2 1/2 ton on up. Very expensive for maintenance, and tires cost a fortune. Old 5th wheels are incredibly cheap if you can find a used pickup setup already for one. I saw several 22' 5th wheel that were very nice at the RTR a small enough to be very maneuverable . 5th wheels tow MUCH better than trailers, and are shorter in overall truck/trailer length than trailers.

Just a lot more flexibility with a truck, you can swap between camper shell, full slide in camper, RV or cargo trailers or 5th wheel. Keep the same truck and swap out RVs as situation dictates. Slightly newer 26 ft 5th wheels with slideouts are about the same as a very nice 1 bdrm apt. The used 5th wheel market is a buyers market as retirees almost always buy new ones and trade up a lot. Maintenance on a trailer or 5th wheel is very minor, wheel bearings and very rarely brakes. Pickup trucks are easy to work on (compared to vans/rvs). Get a truck bigger than 1/2 ton for anything but the smallest trailers, towing mileage is low no matter what.

Itripper said:
I highly suggest a decent pickup truck and trailer/5th wheel.  I spent many years in a shorty class A RV. The problem with RVs is the suspensions are big truck setups, like 2 1/2 ton on up.  Very expensive for maintenance, and tires cost a fortune. Old 5th wheels are incredibly cheap if you can find a used pickup setup already for one. I saw several 22' 5th wheel that were very nice at the RTR a small enough to be very maneuverable . 5th wheels tow MUCH better than trailers, and are shorter in overall truck/trailer length than trailers.

Just a lot more flexibility with a truck, you can swap between camper shell, full slide in camper, RV or cargo trailers or 5th wheel. Keep the same truck and swap out RVs as situation dictates. Slightly newer 26 ft 5th wheels with slideouts are about the same as a very nice 1 bdrm apt. The used 5th wheel market is a buyers market as retirees almost always buy new ones and trade up a lot. Maintenance on a trailer or 5th wheel is very minor, wheel bearings and very rarely brakes. Pickup trucks are easy to work on (compared to vans/rvs). Get a truck bigger than 1/2 ton for anything but the smallest trailers, towing mileage is low no matter what.

Thanks Itripper for the excellent and informative posts.  Notes have been taken!

A downside I hear many talk about with 5th Wheels is losing the storage of the pickup bed (and not being able to put a shell/cap on you truck bed).

JamBandFan said:
Reading this thread I see excellent advice.  I would say given one of the posts that states what you speculate you would enjoy, a Class C in a campground close to town with a tow vehicle would work (as would other options.)  DO check into how expensive campgrounds are in the areas you think you might want to stay.  When I was full-timing ten years ago they were pretty inexpensive for monthly rates (and that is usually the cheapest way to go.) I have friends full-timing now and they stay in campgrounds exclusively and the prices are through the roof in many places (especially if you are staying during their busy season.) Monthly rates in some areas are $700 or more. (plus electricity in many.)  But, if you have the money to do it, it is the easiest, most comfortable way to break into RVing as it takes the least adaptation.  

And it is closest to a traditional home to bring a partner to. You have mentioned the single (and appear to be looking) aspect.  For those who don't have this lifestyle, it is perhaps easier for most to feel comfortable visiting if you are in a campground (that is my perspective as a single woman who lived in a Class A in campgrounds who was open to finding a male partner!)  :)  

Towing a small car works very well. Just be sure to research whatever car (by year and make) you hope to tow.  You want something that tows four on the floor.  If you have to get a drive train disconnect on top of a tow package, "it ain't cheap." Also note whether the car requires you start the engine for a few minutes after 200 miles or some length of time.  Although it sounds as if that wouldn't be a big deal, it can be.  And I definitely would stay away from the added hassle of a trailer for towing your car.

One thing more-- if money isn't an issue, maybe you could rent a Class C for a week or two.  That is what is most often available for renting and you will get a good idea immediately of how it feels and whether you feel a C is for you (as much as you can without experience RVing.) There is a big difference (to me) in how a C feels driving (with the cab over) and how an A feels.  (I prefer the A, but others prefer Cs.)

As I others have shared-- getting out and doing it is the best way to learn what you want and what will work best for you.  What you want now and what you may want in a year may change.  

I recall (when I was selling RVs) a couple with two children who were VERY definite in what they wanted in an RV-- a used Class C.  I sold them one.  Then they were back buying a brand new Class A, and she gave me a bit of a hard time for not convincing her she should have bought one to begin with! In another year (after I had left, but we stayed in touch) they were upgrading to a more expensive Class A (something they were sure initially that they could not afford.)  Each time she was VERY sure of what she wanted.  And that happens to most of us. It takes living in it, meeting the wonderful people out there and seeing where you fit and feel comfortable and what works for your lifestyle. And what feels ultra important now is very likely to change when you actually start doing it.

Don't be afraid to trust your gut and just go for what feels right to you.  There is no "wrong,"  merely another step in the right direction.