What rack or arms for solar panel on Nissan NV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pathfinder Girl

Reaction score
What have you used in the way of a rack, or a couple of "arms" to mount a solar panel on a Nissan NV?  (It's a hi-top 2500.)  What hardware is used to attach the panel to the rack?  Specific item names with links to where to purchase will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

On both Hubby's and my Nissan NVs (2500 and 3500 respectively) we put on the Vantech roof racks. You can buy two or three crossmsmbers with two different types of ends. Both flat and perpendicular to the crossmsmbers. 15 minutes to install on the factory attachment points on the van roof. No drilling. We got them through Amazon. We have solar panels on both vehicles.

Oops, I just read the questions and figured out that I didn't answer it. Ill go out and take a couple of fotos.
Ted

20180813_103658_2.jpg

I wasn't able to climb up the ladder on the van as Hubby has a bike rack attached, blocking the way, but this is a photo from the trailer roof.  As you can see, he bolted boards to the crossmembers and then mounted the panels on the boards.

When he originally did my van, he used 3/4" exterior plywood. After a year and a half exposed to vicious Southwestern desert sunlight, it started to delaminate. So the plywood was replaced with the boards like the photo attached.

In case you're wondering, yes, that is a panel attached to the side of the van on hinges.  Originally it was going to be "deployed" while parked. But, even with 24/7 refrigerator and  heavy use of microwave (700w), coffee maker (800w) and TV, it wasn't necessary as long as the side-mounted solar panel faces the morning sun.  The amperage produced just from that 180w panel in the morning is amazing. 

Hope this helps,
Ted

Attachments

• 20180813_103658_2.jpg
    20180813_103658_2.jpg
    872.5 KB
That's incredible, Ted! What's in your battery bank? Do you have an inverter to go with the microwave?

The Dire Wolfess

Moxadox,
Hubby's van has 450ah AGM batteries (4x6v 125ah VMAX tanks). He has a 1500w inverter to run all alternating current appliances and devices. My van, which I've not used as a standalone camping unit since I bought the trailer, has 300ah AGM batteries (3x100ah UPG 121000). I tried out his microwave in my van, just for yucks, but it was laboring. It doesn't miss a beat in his van. So I don't have a microwave in my van. But the fridge is on 24/7 to supplement the trailer fridge. I hate to drive 45 miles to grocery shop, so the more refrigerated stuff I can hold, the longer I can go between trips.
Ted