What materials for van walls???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PattySprinter

Reaction score
Hi! I want to put ceiling (maybe) and walls in my ProMaster 2500 - but I am thinking wood is too heavy.
What light weight, durable material would you all recommend for the walls?

Luan is a favorite for wall material. It's normally a 1/4" thick so it bends quite well to accommodate the curves of van walls. Some use regular wall paneling if they want the wool paneling look. You could also use that paneling that is patterned. All are about the same thickness.

Most paint it.  I did some of my wall panels painted to match the rest of the cabinetry but some are covered with a 1/16" layer of closed cell foam to give it some texture and then a layer of marine vinyl. I also used the same vinyl in my cabinet door/drawer construction.

Both the painted surface and the vinyl are very easy to keep clean and neither absorb cooking odors.

Almost There said:
Luan is a favorite for wall material. It's normally a 1/4" thick so it bends quite well to accommodate the curves of van walls.

Luan also comes in 1/8", which is sufficiently thick and easier to bend.

Just don't try to mount anything directly to the thin plywood/luan as it is not a structural member. Put some furring strips on the wall to mount stuff to.

Furring strips and luan (maybe closed sell foam) - Got it - Thanks!

I'm thinking of using furring strips and whitewashed shiplap.

My question is - how to attach the furring strips to the interior of the van. Will I have to drill holes in the metal?

My van is full of confusing curves, so i made it easy and went with carpet

I like 1/8 plywood. you must plan accordingly If you want to mount anything to the walls. I did van/limo/motorhome interiors for awhile and furring strips were never used, but beds and cabinets were planned out ahead of time to use the existing ribs for anchor points. highdesertranger

I STILL have too much stuff - ugh. I hit the road in one week and unless I get rid of A LOT more I am not going to have anywhere to sleep.

Oh, Patty, I feel for you. I'm trying to downsize now, and it is a slow process. I can imagine myself being in your situation in April!

I listened to this video this morning - she tells how she decided to choose only 200 objects to go with her, and discarded the rest.

How to Declutter Your Home the Quick and Easy Way

travel around … 200??? Sigh. Thank you for the link - I will listen to it.
I sold all of my antique picture frames today and some artwork - that was difficult.
Kitchen stuff and clothes are what I have too much of. But I seem to all of them and I can not change my mind yet - despite great efforts lol!
You are hitting the road in April? How exciting!

HighDesertStranger - I am going to go with luan and paint it … and check out the L tracks.
… then take all of it to my son so he can make it all work lol!

I used 1/4” cedar pine tongue and groove on walls and ceiling. Believe me, weight is NOT a concern. It looks great and smells good. That said, you should use whatever material you like and feel good about. If you do go the T&G plank route, I would strongly suggest having a helper to install. I didn’t. It’s tough keeping the 8’ lengths together as you are installing them in your van.

I'm a really bad example because I have way over 200 individual items.... :D 

Heck, I probably have over 30 spices alone. And we're not going to talk about the fact that I have at least 4 different oils in the kitchen and 3 or 4 vinegars.

Yes, I have a full set of kitchen knives with me but then the kitchen is as important to  me as having a comfortable bed to sleep in. I didn't skimp on the kitchen stuff. If you don't like cooking and/or don't bother cooking then there's no point in carrying a full set of pots and pans and silverware for 4.

I don't need to do laundry any more often than at least 3 weeks unless the weather is the same temp for all that time, then I run out of either tank tops or t-shirts or long pants depending on the weather. But not having to go to the laundromat weekly is important to me.

It's not how much you have, it's how it's put away. If it's all in totes and you have to move stuff several times a day to get to other stuff then your life is going to be messy. If every thing has a place and it's in it's place so that you have absolutely minimal confusion, your life is ever so much smoother.

Pack what you're going to use regularly and what is most important to living every day the life you need to live to be happy. Then pack the stuff you know you will need (like seasonal clothing). Then and only then, if you still have room can you start packing the nice to have but not vitally important.

Great to know you can fit more than 200 items in a van! I was thinking, would a box full of books count as one item? Is clothing one item or fifty? And I have no clue how much I'll be able to fit in the van. It is all a mystery until I get there.

I read a book a few years ago about a man who lived with less than 100 items for a year … he was a writer so he considered his library as one item - if I recall correctly.
Also, I joined a group a few years ago that was about owning 33 items of clothes - or less.
I am not there yet by any means … but I have pared down my possessions from a 5000 sq foot house, to what can fit in a 6x8 trailer … baby steps lol!
I have a Promaster 2500 - I just want it to be cozy, clean and simple inside. I have gotten rid of so much - now I am down to mostly sentimental and functional stuff.

"Sentimental and functional stuff"...lol, that's when it really started to get hard for me. The first part was 'busier' but the last part is harder, or is for me.

Cedar is a very light, durable wood. Some species split easily but it's also very easy to work with. Also rot and insect resistant, iirc.

MaTaLa and ArtsyGuy - I like the idea of cedar, I am going to research it. Functional: I have this amazing ottoman from Ikea that pulls out into a very cozy bed with metal and wood slat frame. I love it - but still debating on if it is a better use of space to go with a slat pull out or loft bed like so many others use.
Also, I have a Dyson fan/heat - I have the battery bank to run it - but is it functional for van life??
I have a lot of stuff like that - functional - but will it work for on the road travel?????
Sentimental is worse and more difficult to part with those treasures.
Travelaround - Yes, box of books counts as one item lol!
AlmostThere - Me too! I have my nice knife set, Vitamix and cast iron cookware … I think those all should count as one also lol!

On being a minimalist, maybe watch back packing videos. Some people travel the world with just a back pack.