What kind of driver license do you need for RV?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bathyio

Reaction score
Hey I was thinking about getting into VR Lifestyle. Which kind of driver license do you need for those? :huh:
It depends on the vehicle? I was already starting to study from this cdl practice test but I am not sure if this is what I need..  
I saw most vehechile is GMC and Ford but some are small and some are larger. can you advise whats the next plan and license to take?
Thank you very much for all the great information and ideas here.

I'm not completely certain about the larger class A motor coaches, but everything else only requires a regular valid drivers license. It wouldn't hurt to have the experience of having a CDL, but it is not needed unless you are hauling commercially.

There are some vehicles where the size and type requires a CDL. The website for the DOT , Department of Transportation, will have sections that cover that information.

That is a very complex question. It varies by state. You should check with your licensing authority. In Michigan, as long as you are not in commercial service, no special license is required. If the vehicle is under 26,000 pounds no special license is required. This would include all RVs except the very largest Class A vehicle’s.

Most states just require a normal drivers license. But if the rig has air brakes you may need an air brake endorsement

as others have shared, in general, in the USA ( United States of America ;-) hdr) if the rig is registered as an RV then a standard license will suffice. that being said, their are "rv" rigs out there that would require some sort of endorsement or even a full blown CDL. being new to the game, i am pretty confident if you are looking at small to moderate sized and "normal" RV's you wont have to deal with anything but a standard drivers license. when you get on the fringe of custom RV's, conversions and giant rigs. the only real way to know, it to contact the licensing agency in your state. there are some rigs out there like busses and commercial trucks that while they are still registered and title as a truck/bus would require special licensing but when converted to an RV and also registered and titled as an RV then they just need a standard license, and even that can vary by state. also there are some large rigs and conversions that may be fine with a standard license when registered in one state, if registered in another state may need an endorsement or other class license.

in short, vast majority of normal RV's will only need standard state license. large and custom rigs on the fringe, you may well be advised to check with your state agency to be on the safe side

Florida requires a class D license for 8,000 to 26,001 pounds or over 80 inches wide.  Class E is the regular license.  

Your state may have different rules.  

GVWR is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.  Usually the rules apply to the GVWR, the rating, even if the actual weight is less.