What issues with van sitting for 3-4 years?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattkcc

Reaction score
Finally located a mid-90's E150 conversion with only 105K, however, it has been driven very little for the past 3-4 years. The only issue listed is the air-conditioned compressor was replaced but slowly lost it's charge. What kind of problems can develop from sitting long term? He wants $2000 and I was considering offering him a thousand.

wow that's a 50% cut. there are several things to go bad in that amount of time. however you said it was driven very little, that means it was driven some, how much and how long did it actually sit? highdesertranger

I have experience with a van that sat for 10 years.

Tires can go bad or even out of date. The acceptable time is about 6 years or so before a tire is considered "expired". http://www.wisebread.com/are-your-new-tires-really-6-year-old-ticking-time-bombs

Change all the fluids: Engine Oil, Transmission fluid, Brake fluid.

Check the differential fluid level and take a look at the drain plug magnet for metal shavings.

Most likely at the same time you will need a brake job (and at the very least change the pads).
Look at the rotors or drums for defects such at surface checks and cracks. Also look for surface grooving and any glazing (shiny spots).

Full tune up (wires, plugs, filters etc).

Probably want to take a hard look at the battery.

If the battery is bad also take a look at the alternator.

Miscellaneous light bulbs (turn signals, brake lights).

Air conditioners and freon charges are the first to go when a vehicle sits idle.

Probably a few things more, give or take, depending on your situation ...

T.I.M.

Mattkcc said:
 What kind of problems can develop from sitting long term? 

if the truck has been setting for 3 or 4 years. You can count on fuel tank rust, bad gas and fuel injectors that need attention.

Has it really been sitting for the entire 3-4 years? If sitting the entire time many of your seals will be bad. Your fluids will of course be bad. Tires, belts, hoses, battery all likely bad. Rats chewing the wiring is a real possibility, not to mention rat feces inside the vehicle. Rust will likely be a serious issue. The gas will be old and very varnished which may cause fuel/filter pump issues. Be very careful if you decide to go forward.

ramblingvanman said:
Has it really been sitting for the entire 3-4 years? If sitting the entire time many of your seals will be bad. Your fluids will of course be bad. Tires, belts, hoses, battery all likely bad. Rats chewing the wiring is a real possibility, not to mention rat feces inside the vehicle. Rust will likely be a serious issue. The gas will be old and very varnished which may cause fuel/filter pump issues. Be very careful if you decide to go forward.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Vehicles that have been sitting for a long time are best bought only if it is some kind of classic that you intend to restore from the ground up as a project. 

Regards
John

My mechanic told me if a van sits for even a month you can run into problems. He says those things need to be driven...

on the other hand there could be nothing wrong with it, last year I picked up a Dodge Caravan with 205,000kms that was sitting for 4 years, took it to a friends place cleaned it up, removed the rear wiper install it on the front, pulled the wheels, looked at the brakes, bought a couple of hoses, a new house battery, and a new belt, changed the oil and flushed the rad and took off for Alaska, replaced a tire in Whitehorse, drove another 18,000kms then replaced the water pump $34.00 at the same time i installed that new belt as well as one of the hoses, this year I replaced the rad and replaced the other hose, so you never know it could be perfectly alright and not need anything for awhile. there is no reason to rebuild the whole truck because it sat for awhile a lot depends on where it has been sitting and what kind of climate it is sitting in, good luck.

flying kurbmaster said:
on the other hand there could be nothing wrong with it, last year I picked up a Dodge Caravan with 205,000kms that was sitting for 4 years, took it to a friends place cleaned it up, removed the rear wiper install it on the front, pulled the wheels, looked at the brakes, bought a couple of hoses, a new house battery, and a new belt, changed the oil and flushed the rad and took off for Alaska, replaced a tire in Whitehorse, drove another 18,000kms then replaced the water pump $34.00 at the same time i installed that new belt as well as one of the hoses, this year I replaced the rad and replaced the other hose, so you never know it could be perfectly alright and not need anything for awhile. there is no reason to rebuild the whole truck because it sat for awhile a lot depends on where it has been sitting and what kind of climate it is sitting in, good luck.

Any time you buy a used vehicle - even if you get it from a dealer with a good warranty - it's a crap shoot.  Even if you pay a mechanic to look it over, he could miss something or something major could develop 3,000 miles down the road.
I think the best way of putting this is that buying a vehicle that was sitting for a long time is going to be even more of a crap shoot than buying one that wasn't.  Sometimes, like Flying Kurbmaster, you get lucky.  But I think the odds are that a sitter is likely to be more problematical and cost you more in repairs than one that wasn't sitting.

Regards
John

Part of how much needs to be done will depend on the conditions under which it was sitting. Sitting on concrete seems to be less problematic than sitting on grass.

I found small signs that my 2002 GMC had been sitting longer than I had believed when I bought it. We found lichen growing in the little gap on the passenger side mirror... :dodgy: and some signs of green on the fiberglass roof!

The P/O had already replaced all the brake lines and done the brakes because it was being moved from his home to his daughters to be put up for sale. SIL somehow thought that brakes were kind of important for driving it...don't know why... :D The tires were very much out of date (2 were OEM) but I used it as a bargaining chip to reduce the price. The battery was also on the immediate replacement list - I suspect they had been charging it right up until I turned the corner on my way in to their street... :rolleyes:

I anticipated having to replace seals and a lot of rubber components but much to my surprise they all passed the intense inspection from my mechanic that I ordered as part of it's initial overhaul.

Be prepared for worst case scenario and when you find out that not all the money is going to have to be needed, add it to the emergency fund.

Whether you take a chance on one that's been sitting will depend on how much you like that particular vehicle. For me the opportunity to get a 2002 with only 60K AND the 24" hightop already installed was worth taking the chance on whatever I had to put in to it on repairs.

As a final thought, let me just restate something that should be obvious:  It's going to be impossible to take a sitter out for a good long test drive on the highway before you buy it.

Personally, I would be VERY uncomfortable buying a vehicle I couldn't test drive absent some special circumstances.  But maybe that's just me.

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
As a final thought, let me just restate something that should be obvious:  It's going to be impossible to take a sitter out for a good long test drive on the highway before you buy it.

Personally, I would be VERY uncomfortable buying a vehicle I couldn't test drive absent some special circumstances.  But maybe that's just me.

Regards
John
Why would it be impossible to take a 'sitter' out on the highway!

Just because it's been sitting doesn't mean that it won't run. If it runs, test drive it. If you're nervous about it starting again if you shut if off, carry a jumper pack. If you're really, really nervous have someone follow you in case it dies. Obviously, one would test the brakes going out the drive. If it runs and it stops, test drive it.

If you feel a thumping, it might simply be indicative of tires that have gotten flat spots. If it goes away in 15 minutes, there's your answer.

I test drove mine in pouring rain with a pair of really bad windshield wipers. The serpentine belt was squeeling but the power steering felt fine, the engine was quiet when I listened to it. The exhaust didn't leak. The engine compartment looked clean and I could see no leaks on the undercarriage nor on the driveway where it was parked.

Nothing is impossible! Sometimes it's just a little more difficult than other times.

highdesertranger said:
wow that's a 50% cut.  there are several things to go bad in that amount of time.  however you said it was driven very little,  that means it was driven some,  how much and how long did it actually sit?  highdesertranger

The reason I'm going to only offer $1000 is due to it sitting for so long and the air-conditioning needing repair. Also, it was up for sale earlier this summer. AC is needed year round here in Missouri, in the summer to cut the heat and humidity and in the winter to keep your windows from fogging. The van is able to run the reason I'm considering it is because it's pre 97 without the alum. head. It seems people who own pre-97's are hanging on to them, I've seen lots of 97's for sale.

Almost There said:
Why would it be impossible to take a 'sitter' out on the highway!

If a car has been sitting in somebody's yard for four years, what are the odds that it still has valid plates and insurance on it? 

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
If a car has been sitting in somebody's yard for four years, what are the odds that it still has valid plates and insurance on it? 

Regards
John

Well, mine had valid plates on it and I don't think I'm THAT special... :D Actually, come to think of it, both the 'sitters' I looked at had valid plates.

There are a lot of reason why people keep the plates up to date even if they're not driving it. Some municipal jurisdictions won't allow you to keep an unplated vehicle on the premises - they consider it to be junk at that point. Here, if we allow the plates to expire then the vehicle has to undergo a safety inspection to put plates back on it so a lot of owners keep the plates up to date if for no other reason than to avoide the cost of inspection. Most just keep the plates up to date simply because they 'intend' to drive the vehicle, which maybe doesn't happen.

If a person is trying to sell a vehicle, it would behoove them to have valid plates on it unless they're selling it for parts only on an 'as is, where is, you tow it' basis.

In which case, that would be in the ad and we wouldn't even be discussing the vehicle.

As to insurance, mine covers me if I'm driving someone elses' car or a rental. I don't need to know if they have valid insurance on it, the point is moot.

Almost There said:
Well, mine had valid plates on it and I don't think I'm THAT special... :D Actually, come to think of it, both the 'sitters' I looked at had valid plates.

There are a lot of reason why people keep the plates up to date even if they're not driving it. Some municipal jurisdictions won't allow you to keep an unplated vehicle on the premises - they consider it to be junk at that point. Here, if we allow the plates to expire then the vehicle has to undergo a safety inspection to put plates back on it so a lot of owners keep the plates up to date if for no other reason than to avoide the cost of inspection. Most just keep the plates up to date simply because they 'intend' to drive the vehicle, which maybe doesn't happen.

Remember, you're special to all of us here.

Refresh my memory - you're in Canada?  Or am I thinking of someone else?

Here in NY, if you have plates on it, the vehicle itself must be insured.  If you cancel the insurance, you must surrender the plates.  And it must be inspected annually, including - in some areas - passing a smog test.  And, at least where I live, you can have ONE unregistered vehicle on your property and it's no problem.

So sitting cars not having plates is the rule here, rather than the exception.

I wonder - am **I** the one who's "special", and everyone else has it as easy as you apparently do?

Regards
John

i got, (and still have), a conversion van that had been sitting for 3 years. driven 3/4 times per year, so i was told. it needed some minor things but i've racked up thousands of miles on it since and its been great. these vans are pretty tough, but i guess it is a crapshoot.

Latest posts