What is your monthly internet usage?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ikigai

Reaction score
Hey all,

What is your monthly internet usage (GBs) like and what do you use it for?  I'm wondering if one of the "unlimited" but throttled versions will work for me or if I need to splurge for Nomad internet or similar.  Thanks!

Everyone is different but I average about 1GB per day...(about 25 to 35 GB per month) ...that varies of course but its fairly typical combining normal websurfing plus a fair amount of youtube and other video sources. If I am given a choice I generally reduce the video resolutions of whatever I'm watching to a minimal level, SD (standard definition) is perfectly acceptable to me on most videos I watch.

If you plan to watch a couple of movies in high def every evening along with streaming or downloading lots of music, online gaming and hours of video zoom meetings, facebook and websurfing all day long, you could probably triple or quadruple that amount easily.

You really need to determine what YOUR internet usage is. Are you just going to be casually surfing? Watching streaming? Working? Some can easily get by with 15-20G a month. I burn through twice that in a day just for work.

When I'm in my RV I make 30 GB last all month. I use it primarily for work, which is WebEx/Zoom and a terminal connection over ssh. Also Pandora internet radio. I generally don't stream video. I'll download it over WiFi and watch offline.

When I'm at home base I use between 500 to 1000 gigabytes, streaming video and downloading games.

lol....so there you have your answer, between 15 GB and 1000 GB per month. 

Makes a person wonder how crowd sourcing for answers ever gets us anywhere.

Good luck with this.

Well 1 GB per day is a good ballpark, thank you. I'm planning on some web surfing, facebook, podcasts and movies, but no gaming or zoom meetings. I think downloaded maps on all trails might drive my usage up too. It sounds like the "unlimited" that limits around 15-20 that I'm seeing are not enough, at least on their own. Probably need at least 30, maybe closer to 50 if I don't want to budget. Thanks!

I don’t know what I’m at as far as gigabytes but I am on the Internet hours upon hours. During the rainy cold weather of last week I was on at least 10 to 15 hours a day. The unlimited plan with visible is almost too good to be true but I’ve been using it for a year up and down the East Coast and having very few problems. I hope that bragging about it just now is not going to screw it up. Like, you know when you brag about your vehicle running good and then…

no clue. we got Verizon Unlimited and I tell ya it is worth it to us cause we use the heck out of data. I have to say it is worth every penny for us.....hubby and kid truly use their phones for everything and in the end, NO IDEA what we do you in a day or week etc....just know it is always there LOL

yea it is hard to determine cause everyone will be so different on this one. All people use or need or require for working on the road or or or ?? and then ya got the people that have almost no need for it and can use very little.

You need to get a plan you can afford and limit youself to using that much data. If you have extra left towards the end of every month see if you can down grade your plan to a less expensive one. If you run out of data then you need a plan with more data.

Sitting around on the internet all day, unless it is required for work, means you are living a sedentary lifestyle. Which of course impacts your health. Limiting your data has many positive benefits.

Some need to 'sit a bit' thru medical issues and more. A wheelchair bound person might require big data internet usage etc.

I am not a fan of the 'if someone is using high' data they are sedentary cause we use massive date and don't sit still for a moment truly......with phones you can data while skydiving or kayaking or anything ya know. We data all the time, everywhere, when we require it and use it for what it is, a tool to engage....but we ain't couchin' it doin' it!

Limiting your data is not needed by anyone mostly.....everyone should use the data they require at all times and can afford and how it suits their life. This less is more on some issues don't come into play alot of times for many individuals.

tx2sturgis said:
lol....so there you have your answer, between 15 GB and 1000 GB per month. 

Makes a person wonder how crowd sourcing for answers ever gets us anywhere.

Good luck with this.
Such a good point, too much feedback from several sources is TMI for me :) Too many choices, like shopping for the right cantaloupe :huh:

Goldengirl that is too funny....a cantaloupe! Yes I have stood there and debated over which canteloupe to buy many times in the store for my kid HAHA you had me laughing on that post! :)

ohh what is Verizon Beyond? I just got unlimited in the plan, what extra are you getting? just curious on this

Yes I have a sedentary lifestyle, yes I am overweight. Fat people are one of the last groups of people that it is politically correct to shame. I have always been overweight, since the day I was born. 20 years ago I might’ve been 50 pounds overweight but I could walk for 5 miles in the woods camp by myself with minimal equipment and walk 5 miles out the next day. And I have become Sedentary, my ass has gotten bigger. It has been a detriment to my health to be this way. It’s also a detriment to my health to try to walk especially on uneven surfaces. My brain tumor has limited my balance and my depth perception and it sort of trapped me into this sedentary lifestyle which has been more detrimental to my health. But you know frankly that’s my business not anyone else’s. Except maybe my boys will have to carry me to the grave. Today we don’t put someone down because the color of their skin, thankfully. Nor do we put them down because of their gender or their choice of sexual identity. We can’t make judgements based on religion or ethnicity. And I am thankful that we don’t do those things today. But as I said the last group you put down is the ones you can body shame. I don’t mean to attack one person on here I just want to make a point that I’ve been dealing in my mind with for a long time. I am fat and sedentary not entirely my choice but I live with it and so can you if you mind your own business. Really no trying to attack you Maki, you’re just touched a nerve.

RoamerRV428 said:
ohh what is Verizon Beyond?  I just got unlimited in the plan, what extra are you getting?  just curious on this
Looked it up and they changed the plans. I get a min. of 75 GB for each of my 2 devices (phone & iPad), plus 35 GB min. for hotspot. I have gone over the 75 Gb occasionally, and have noticed no throttling. Prob because I'm rarely near a city. The hotspot limit is hard, but I only went over twice. I just make sure video streaming is done via the tablet or phone while connected to my desktop monitor. Also get Apple Music for free, which I use. Not the cheapest at $120 for both devices, but it's nice (and needed for my side gig) to always be able to connect.

Justanother, I appreciate your info. We are 2 phones unlimited everything and we are $150 so I get you on what you need. It helps to have what we need when we need it in our personal lives :)

I will go to V and check it out and see if changes are in order for lower cost to suit us and thanks for the reply.

nature lover said:
Yes I have a sedentary lifestyle
and I loved your post Nature Lover.
the 'blanket statements' some throw out never apply to all, and now, almost NEVER apply to all so that old thinking has to go and I so love you send your peace on it and showed your voice on this!

Latest posts