What is outside your door?? *pictures*

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dennis and Mike!

I've been considering another epic road trip travel log - maybe the Lincoln Highway, US 2, or either coast - but it's such a commitment to stay on the route when there are all kinds of things to see just a little bit east, west, or just over there! :-D It took us 80 days to drive Route 66 and we could have even gone slower but we didn't want to miss the RTR.

Along the Enchanted Circle between Red River and Questa, NM. Couple of weeks ago.

Attachments

• Enchanted Circle--NM--IMG_1102 - C2 (2).JPG
    Enchanted Circle--NM--IMG_1102 - C2 (2).JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 29
8a4ee75b8b1479d0bbe4d359cd912cea.jpg

I am leaving the redwoods tomorrow. Falls colors are everywhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24d72a681ae0bc47960655585bed736a.jpg

Alabama Hills, Lone Pine.
California Hwy 395.

You are a moving lady, Blanch. Back to your favorite area now, :). 395 is my favorite area.

Offhand, I am wondering which route you followed going from the Redwoods near Eureka down to 395 south. Do you come across on 299 (certainly never 36)? Or south to Santa Rosa, and then over I-80? Or I-5 south, then over Tehachapi? Pulling a 30' trailer shirley affects the route decisions.

QinReno said:
You are a moving lady, Blanch. Back to your favorite area now, :). 395 is my favorite area.

395 feels like home. I love it here! Alabama Hills are spectacular!! Mt. Whitney and fall colors? What more could a gal want?

240a9697d46aa85cf0422dcdc452533a.jpg

This was yesterday. Just wow!

I took 199 to I5, then over to Shasta and Alturas. Then all the way down 395. I was looking at cheap mountain land near Alturas for a home base.

Ah, 199 into Oregon, and not 299 across. And all the way to Alturas, making it a real trip rather than a straight shot! I should think land in the area north of Susanville should be reasonable price.

QinReno said:
Ah, 199 into Oregon, and not 299 across. And all the way to Alturas, making it a real trip rather than a straight shot!

Yes. I took a week. You know, take the long way home, it’s not just the destination that matters.

When I went up to the Bend area in May, I stopped at the Oney Frosty (I think it was) in Adin, and talked to a guy who said he had recently bought what he called a "ranch" somewheres between Adin and Shasta. However, he was actually growing tomatoes, since they only had imported ones and not fresh ones there. I think there must be a lot of possibilities around there for buying land. I've come to appreciate the area a lot, as I've gone all of the various ways through there on my trips.
- https://www.google.com/maps/place/T...23b628553e5f5c!8m2!3d41.195047!4d-120.9444369

Now is the good time to go south, as another month may be snow on all the summits along 395. Plus the smoke is gone from all the summer fires. !!! I like Lone Pine for a small town.

I'm not there right now, but when traveling through the "State of Jefferson" (the unofficial 51st state of the Union), I always stop in Klamath Falls at the Mexcian restaurant in the funky old art deco building. Klamath Falls is a nice small city with a generally well-preserved old downtown area.

I did the Klamath Falls area in May of 2017 and I liked it. Lots of photo opportunities and such. The grocery store in Klamath Falls ( I cant remember the name, but it was a discount grocery store) had amazing grocery prices. It was a nice find in a small town.

Love the colors, Blanch. That is a beautiful area to hang out in.

My first trip alone after school was out to CA. I took Amtrak up the coast from El Cajon to SF and then a red eye to Medford and then I thumbed my way to Ashland. I pretty much hitchhiked my way through Oregon, staying at youth hostels along the way. My most prevailing memory about that trip was a local beauty contest in KF. Photos of young girls were taped up in shop windows dowtown so people could decide which girl to vote for. And that was how the Klamath Falls Beauty Contest ran. That was in 1978. I'm sure things have changed since then but I still treasure that memory. :heart:

highdesertranger said:
Beautiful pictures Blanch. I love the Alturas area. highdesertranger

I do as well. It might just end up being home someday.

Thanks!

I think HDR still thinks there's gold in the hills in that area. I don't think so. Not much.

There sure are golden colors this autumn there.

Blanch said:
There sure are golden colors this autumn there.
Ha, clever.

This week, we've finally changed from mostly green to yellows and browns intermixed. There are some fire red bushes scattered around in the green, similar to those shown below, which are incredible.

^^^
Beautiful!
I love fall colors and spring greens. This planet is truly amazing, and many people never take a moment to look.