What else will I need for 2+ weeks on road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RV-Hopeful

Reaction score
My brother needs me so I'm thinking about taking off from Albuquerque, NM to Tuscaloosa, AL in my Nissan Versa hatchback and the following list of items that I this I might need.  Did I forget anything?  Not sure how the install the solar on my little Nissan, but guess I'mm put my 64 y/o female brain to work on that one.  What an adventure this might be. I'd like feedback as I want to get this stuff and be ready to go by March 14. These are items I've chosen through this site ... any help thoughts would great! Health issues make about 4 hrs a day doable. Any thing over that won't work, hench the tent, etc

-Tarp for under the tent
-Texsport Retreat SUV Tent by Texsport, 
[size=medium]-EZOWare Portable LightWeight Mini Outdoor Backpacking Camping Stove Burner Cookware ,[/size]
[size=medium]-[size=medium]Coleman Tent Kit ,[/size][/size]
[size=medium]- [size=medium][size=medium]ZODI Outback Gear Battery Powered Shower ,    [/size][/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]-[size=medium]TFY Universal Car Side Window Sun Shade - Protects Your Kids from Sun Burn - Double Layer Design - Maximum Protection - Fit Most of Vehicle, Most of sedan, Ford, Chevrolet, Buick, Audi, BMW, Honda, Mazda, Nissan and Others - 2 Pieces (Regular Contoured Window) by TFY [/size][/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium][size=x-small][size=medium][size=medium]-Reliance Products Luggable Loo Portable 5 Gallon Toilet [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium][size=x-small][size=medium]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FIAPXO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER[/size][/size][/size][/size] -Instapark® NEW All Black 10W Mono-crystalline Solar Panel with 12V Solar Charge Controller by Instapark  (or is there a better solar - do I need a battery)
-[size=medium]Cobra CPI 480 400-Watt 12-Volt DC to 120-Volt AC Power Inverter with 5-Volt USB Output  (This plugs into the car right)[/size]
[size=x-small]-[size=medium]Energizer Solar Rechargeable 9-LED Lantern [/size][/size]

Any input welcome! Thanks!!!!

you shouldn't need solar or a large inverter, if you are only charging your phone and your computer all you need is a 75 watt inverter that you plug into your lighter, you might want some kind of mattress like a thermorest, a foamie, or an air mattress. maybe a cooler of some kind for your food.  have a nice trip.

Foam sleeping pad
Headlamp and flashlight
Rain jacket
Cooler
Water bottles

flying kurbmaster said:
you shouldn't need solar or a large inverter, if you are only charging your phone and your computer all you need is a 75 watt inverter that you plug into your lighter, you might want some kind of mattress like a thermorest, a foamie, or an air mattress. maybe a cooler of some kind for your food.  have a nice trip.
Okay good. Last night during the panic of planning, I did go overboard. Thanks for the reality check. Have the sleeping rarrangment somewhat formulated. Didn't realize the "type face" was so big in original post. Sorry ... Thanks again for the inverter info as I was totally unsure!

nobodyG17 said:
Foam sleeping pad
Headlamp and flashlight
Rain jacket
Cooler
Water bottles
Check, check and check ... Thanks!!

My aunt has a Versa. It's surprisingly roomy for it's size. For some general ideas that you might think about stealing, have a look at my conversion thread on my Kia Soul, which is about the same size as your Versa.

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-My-Future-Road-Tripper

Also have a look at RetiredNomad's thread on his.

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Kia-Soul-it-can-be-done

Granted, they're not exactly the same as your vehicle, but some of the ideas should translate well enough with a bit of creativity.

As for specific recommendations for gear, I'll provide a few examples:

First up you should seriously consider getting yourself a roll top table. They use very little storage space and are quite sturdy when set up.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I also highly recommend the water container in the bottom right corner of the above picture. I can fit four of those 2 1/2 gallon containers between my ront and rear seats. I picked them up in the housewares department of my local Walmart.

With space being at a premium in smaller vehicles like your Versa and my Soul, I also recommend that you give serious thought to a collapsible camping toilet. I got mine at Bass Pro Shops, but I'm reasonable sure that Walmart also carries something similar.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Finally, if you don't already have one, I recommend you sign up for some kind of roadside assistance service such as AAA or other similar service. I'm sure other members have suggestions.

Wow sephson ... great ideas! After a lot of thought I just don't see how I can get it together to go by 3/14, but I'm moving toward that end and these suggestions have been so great, from everyone, and fine tuning all my research. I did the calculations of just heading out, gas, hotel/campgrounds, etc without any prep and I can't swing it with my current obligations. I must have had a moment (again) of serious delusion.

All these suggestions are being written down.
Thanks so much!

You mentioned h[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]ealth issues that limit your travel to four hours a day, you[/font] really need to test everything out at home before hitting the road.  Make sure that you can setup and take down the tent by yourself, prepare a meal and clean up.  You do not want to get 200 miles from home and find out you are missing part of the tent or the stove will not light.  Will you be able to setup camp and get settled in after a four hour drive?   You might have to limit yourself to three or three and a half hours driving to allow for the setup time.

My wife is disabled and we also have to limit our travel to four hours a day.  It takes more planning than others that can wing it and stop anywhere for the night.  Please do not be discouraged, I'm not saying you can't have a successful trip, just that you may need to plan a little more carefully than some others.  After a four hour drive, you don't want to have to drive another hour looking for a place to setup camp.

Google maps is your friend.  About every 200 miles look for camp grounds or parks along your route.  I use Excel sheets and list exits for our trips.  After nearly 40 years of traveling I40 from Nashville, Tn to Raleigh, NC I know which exists not to take. 

Wishing you well and the best of luck.

RV-Hopeful said:
After a lot of thought I just don't see how I can get it together to go by 3/14...

You don't need to have it fully together. You just need the basics, food, water, shelter. You seem to be working towards those pretty well.

The rest you can fill in on the road.

Sure, you'll make mistakes, but as long as you learn from them, that's not a problem.

sephson said:
You don't need to have it fully together. You just need the basics, food, water, shelter. You seem to be working towards those pretty well.

The rest you can fill in on the road.

Sure, you'll make mistakes, but as long as you learn from them, that's not a problem.

+1

I never travel more than 4-5 hours a day , much more relaxing , you can avoid rush hours and plenty of time to find a good place to rest.
You can sleep in the car on the trip especially if it rains (lots of places like Wally's , Cracker Barrel or other restaurants allow it if you just ask )..and tent if a cool place turns up like if you find a campground or forest service/etc campsite nearby.

There are Wally's at almost every town so if you need something just pick it up !

Agree you won't need a 400w inverter and a 10 watt solar panel is only suitable to maintain a battery that is fully charged and not in use , daily driving should take care of that .

Ya got over a week to prepare , should be plenty of time... definitely try out the tent etc to make sure you know how and look for missing parts too.

VJG1977 said:
You mentioned h[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]ealth issues that limit your travel to four hours a day, you[/font] really need to test everything out at home before hitting the road.  Make sure that you can setup and take down the tent by yourself, prepare a meal and clean up.  You do not want to get 200 miles from home and find out you are missing part of the tent or the stove will not light.  Will you be able to setup camp and get settled in after a four hour drive?   
Hey VJG & Popeye, yea, after more thought I remembered ... well ... duh, I haven't put up a tent in prob 15 yrs and that was with someone. Where is that super-woman I used to be?  Chuckle ... I always forget that I have limitations! Yea, can't see that I do it as I planned and now I'm just slowing down ... can't rush to rescue if I fall on the way.

Asleep at the Wheel - "You know you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill"

Can you sleep in your car?
Try to relax and know that every town has stores to get the things you really need.
For peace of mind-road side service, like AAA, just in case.
Have fun with the great country drive.

RV-Hopeful said:
I haven't put up a tent in prob 15 yrs and that was with someone.

You may not need a tent. Depending on how tall you are, you may be able to sleep in your Versa. I did a Google search for Nissan Versa camper conversions and couldn't find any, but don't let that discourage you. Fortunately, your vehicle and mine are similar enough that you should be able to do something similar to what I did for my sleeping area. I'm going to recommend a slightly less elaborate setup than mine though. You don't need the accordion fold gap bridge that I made. I did it that way because I needed to be able to convert from camper to passenger car quickly and easily. I get the impression that you don't need that capability. I'll try to run you through how to make a simpler version of my setup.

1. Check your rear seat. Your back seat should be a 60/40 split. The images I found online suggest that the 60% portion is on the driver's side. If this is the case, then the driver's side is the side you need to concentrate on. If it's the other way around, concentrate on the passenger side.

2. Fold down the rear seat.

3. Put the front seat as far forward as it will go.

4. Tilt the front seat as far forward as it will go.

5. With the hatch back closed, measure the distance between the back side of your front seat and the closed rear hatch.
Now you should know whether or not there is enough room for you to sleep in your Versa. If there is, continue on. If there's not ignore the rest of this post.

6. Now measure the distance between the back side of your front seat and the back edge of your folded down rear seat.

7. Borrow or rent a truck for a trip to Home Depot, Lowes or the local lumber yard. You may also need to bring a friend as what you're purchasing is a bit on the heavy side.

8. Purchase a sheet of 3/4 inch thick plywood. 1/2 plywood is lighter, but not rigid enough to bridge the gap between the front and rear seats without additional support. If you don't already have one, purchase an inexpensive circular saw, a sheet of 60 grit sand paper and a pair of safety glasses too.

9. Now you need to take some more measurements:
          a. The distance between your all the way forward and folded forward front seat and the front edge of your folded down rear seat.
          b. The width of the 60% section of your folded down rear seat.
          c. The distance that your wheel well protrudes into your cargo area.

10. Cut the plywood to measurement b wide by the measurement from step 6 long.

11. Now you need to cut a notch in one of the corners so that the plywood will fit around the wheel well when the front seat is on driving position. Measurement a and measurement c will tell you how big this notch needs to be.

12. Sand the rough edges.

It may be a bit rough, but you will now have a completed bed shelf.

You shouldn't need to add any extra support legs on the front edge. Your body weight alone should be enough to hold your new bed bridge in place.

While driving, slide the shelf towards the rear of the car, then slide it forward when you're ready to set up the bed.

I think you'll probably be happier with a foam pad cut to fit rather than an air mattress. If as I suspect, your rear seat does not fold completely flat, bring a second pillow to put under your knees if you sleep on your back.

If you have any questions I'll try to answer them. I hope this helps.

Wow sephson! Thanks so much for all the details. I did some measurements prior but of course didn't follow through as I did get discouraged. I have tools and know I can make something to fit. I get my SSD ck this week and plan to get a few things to accomplish a transformation. My therapist is actually giving me a fairly new queen size 3" foam that she no longer uses as she is moving up to king, so I had planned to cut and fit for the back. Your detailing it out like that has really made a difference to me, actually brought tears, that someone would go to such detail ...

Thanks so much! My heart swells with gratitude toward you and the others who have given me such details!
Lejuana (RV-Hopeful)

RV-Hopeful said:
My therapist is actually giving me a fairly new queen size 3" foam that she no longer uses as she is moving up to king, so I had planned to cut and fit for the back.
Bear in mind that you'll need to cut your mattress into two pieces. The smaller of the two, you'll need to move out of the way when you convert the car from sleeper mode to driving mode. Alternately, you can simply fold the mattress in half, but this may over time create a flat spot at the fold as the foam breaks down.

sephson said:
Bear in mind that you'll need to cut your mattress into two pieces. 
Yep, have the ol' electric carving knife ready to go when I get the mattress ... Wow, with this constant feedback and my SSD on the way I feel like I can really get this started.  There isn't really anyone here to help me so I appreciate all the good vibes and detailed information. It's helping me to stay in the moment rather than looking at the big picture, just one thing at a time ... 8+)

If you can get your car rigged up to sleep in, you shouldn't need much. Some food, some water, a few clothes and toiletries. Make sure you have some extra cash for emergencies. Worst case scenario if it isn't working out for you after a couple days get a cheap motel and "regroup"

I would plot out your route and plan your camping spots ahead of time.

You may want to consider a bed that you don't have to fold up for travel.  I live out of my Prius and use half of the back for my bed.  I don't store anything on top of it.  That way if I want to pull over and take a nap in the middle of the day, I can.  I currently use an REI self-inflating 3.5" mattress that's 78"x30", very comfortable.

Below is an older photo from when I was using a cot mattress of similar dimensions.

[img=640x480]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wnQNaiPCZ...Y20VLJXLA/s1600/2011-01-09+13.37.20.jpg[/img]

If you're interested in using some of the same strategies I use, I've detailed articles on my blog (click on the link in my signature).  The "how-to" articles are in the right column.

The best to you as you plan your first adventure in your vehicle!

Latest posts