What do you sleep on?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you sleep on when on the road?

• Cot

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Bed

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Lounge Chair

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Futon

• milk crates with board on top

• rubber mat on floor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RV bed

• chair

• Hammock

• other

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters
I use an air mattress. Space is at a premium in my little Kia, so while a foam mattress would likely be more comfortable, I use something that colapses into a tiny package when I don't need it.

In my minivan I also use an air mattress, and blankets. Sometimes add a piece of memory foam topper on it. This is on the floor. Have camped many times this way.
No bed yet in my E150 van. That will ultimately be a folding sofa/bed.

32" wide plywood platform with a 4" extra dense latex foam pad 3 ft storage under.

Plywood platform with 3 inch memory foam and 3 inch tempurpedic mattress topper. Heaven. Jan

I'm sorry, I forgot air mattress as that is probably a popular one.

I sleep in a captain's chair.  I had the base altered so I could put it in the passenger spot, and turn it around at night.   Not too comfortable, but it works.

Started on the carpet floor, then a 1/2" yoga mat on the floor, then yoga mat on the factory bench seat(milk crate for my feet) and now just the bench seat and milk crate.
Now the dogs sleep on the yoga mat, much easier clean up.

A 9 inch foam mattress from TheFoamFactory.com. 4 inches of 5lb ViscoMAX high density memory foam over 5 inches of LuxHQ conventional foam. Firm support and outstanding comfort.

Plywood bed frame and 8" total memory foam, full size.

Hammock. Until lately. Now a regular bed in a regular house... :(

now I use a cot but when I go fulltime I will split between a cot and a bed in my trailer. highdesertranger

Bottom to top for superior insulation and heat rarely needed:
Tarp( 4 layers)
(5)Goose down pillows and (1)goose down Queen blanket
(3-4)Sleeping bags
Long narrow card table to weight down the insulation, add firmness to bed. For travel--able to store the heaviest load items in this space so weight is off the back of my minivan. When parked: part of bed rolls up and becomes a desk and kitchen table.
Summer: air mattress with no air for cooling
Chosen pillows, (1-2)sleeping bags-- on top depending on the weather.

Yeah, heaving my 350 + pounds of dreamboat off the floor really sucked. It was easier to build up a bed frame than to lose 150 pounds so I did that. At least in a mid-top conversion van I can increase the height. 40 inch width, 27 inches underneath for storage, 2x4 framed, 3/4" CDX base, 4" of very high density foam on top (they used the same stuff to refloat the Concordia cruise ship).

I had tried a self inflating 3 inch camping pad but at the sight of me it deflated and ran off.

Foam on top of the factory bench/bed in my conversion van. Cut it to fit and got a sheet that plays well with it. It's been working out for the past month. Beats the air mattress I was using. Originally I took out the factory bench, but safety concerns kind of made me abandon other plans, decided to put it back in and use it. In the future I might go with a hammock to save weight.