What do you look for?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southbound

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am wondering what you are looking for when finding a place to stay for awhile? Such as if a person had acres in the East side of the USA, but no amenities for a hook up, just there home but space. What would you look at before finding it a reasonable place to stay?

I had a friend considering letting some people on their land due to being lonely, and occasionally needing an extra hand. I suggested it may be a good spot for a Van camper/nomad type person.

So, I'm asking you about this and what your thoughts are for you and what you'd consider.

-Within reasonable distance to shopping and at least minimal entertainment.
-Access to toilet/shower or within a reasonable distance to dump station,pay showers or gyms.
-A decent library nearby.
-Respect for privacy.
-No nosy neighbors that may cause problems (local ordinance enforcement).
-Adequate roads.
-Cell signal.
-Not in a noisy area (frequent trains,interstate,truck traffic,airport,etc.)
-Pet friendly.
-Not in a high crime area.
-Not in a polluted location.

For me, I could be flexible on several of these. A lot would depend on how long the stay might be.

PS: A garage/shop where you could do minor repairs/maintenance would be nice.

Last edited:
I was an active Boondockers Welcome host for about 2 years and it has its 'ups and downs'....

I finally decided that the new rules they have for us hosts were not to my liking so I took my property off the website.

But for others it might work out ok.

for the 'camp' site I would wonder about black and gray tank disposal. water hookup? like above, dump station/water are key.
muddy type area and ok to park longer term if they don't want to move the rig and not have issues maybe.

is it just a nice area overall? :) if they want to rent out their yard space for a camp site area I would think the above would be my major concern. If it was an area I wanted or needed to live in the other issues would kinda be taken care of with access to shop/gas stations easily hopefully.

but the first 3 things I mentioned is what would direct me wanting to to stay anywhere long term. Without that ease of dealing with water, power and dump that would drive my vehicle living situation kinda first.

First and foremost, I look for privacy. I'm pretty much a hermit, and someone offering a place to stay because they need a new best friend, is something I avoid at all costs!

After that, I like to be in reasonable proximity to a decent food store (meaning they carry at least some organic food), a library, and a public park of some kind (for getting water and disposing of my trash and doody bags).

Thanks for these things. They do seem practical for a reasonably nice life.

Your friends are in a difficult position as they seem to want renters but a condition is that the people they rent to must also become companions as well as employees? Each one of those factors is a business transaction that needs to be clarified in their minds onto a written contract between the parties. That is so there are respectful considerations and clear communications when interviews begin. Things such as renters and employees rights are a bit tricky. Things such as discrimination for age might crop up.

Bringing people onto your land to live requires a great deal of thought and trust. Boundaries need to be defined. Benefits need to be defined. Finding the right match might be very easy or it might be difficult.

If they are lonely there are many ways to make friends. If they need help occasionally that is generally not difficult to arrange unless they are truly isolated.

Last edited:
agree with Maki in the part of the post that mentioned this part:
people on their land due to being lonely, and occasionally needing an extra hand. I suggested it may be a good spot for a Van camper/nomad type person.

I addressed my main daily living rig situation of a 'good campsite' to cover water, power and dump issues.

but with that second part.......be sure they communicate very very clearly what they want from this person. Like Jacqueg said above, I am also not looking ever for those 'conditions' to a site ever cause I am too that hermit type, leave me alone type, lol, so your friend must be very clear what is expected. I am sure there is a person who would fit the bill surely and be a nice happy co-existing camp for all, but like mentioned, make it clear and be safe when deciding this kinda too.

I was an active Boondockers Welcome host for about 2 years and it has its 'ups and downs'....

I finally decided that the new rules they have for us hosts were not to my liking so I took my property off the website.

But for others it might work out ok.
I’m thinking about taking mine off too. I’m getting crazy huge campers and they are getting to expect more and more... for nothing.

Isn't Radical Self Entitlement the new American way? /s (At least *I* see it a lot more frequently these days.) Definitely set your boundaries and make sure people adhere to them.

Most of my guests did leave a 'tip', some of them offered to share their dinner, others bought a 6-pack of my favorite beer, almost all of them left a thank-you note or card.

Most of my guests were usually courteous and respectful and quiet. However, a few of them engaged in behavior that I did not like. Of course, that's kinda normal when you open up the place for strangers.

One guest went online with the local tax appraisal district and looked up all the names and taxable values of the properties around us, including mine, and proceeded to offer his advice on tax and legal matters pertaining to my property, claiming he had some 'knowledge' in this area.

Another guest walked around inspecting all of the electrical outlets and fixtures. I saw him plugging in a small electrical tester to one of my outdoor outlets (not the one for his RV) and then began offering advise on what I should do to 'improve the situation'.

All I'm saying is, if someone opens up their property for a guest or two overnight, FOR FREE, that guest should not push the boundaries. But some of them will do exactly that.

And luckily we never had any injuries or damage here.

It is a situation that can deteriorate, so always be aware of that.

Most of my guests did leave a 'tip', some of them offered to share their dinner, others bought a 6-pack of my favorite beer, almost all of them left a thank-you note or card.

Most of my guests were usually courteous and respectful and quiet. However, a few of them engaged in behavior that I did not like. Of course, that's kinda normal when you open up the place for strangers.

Were they mostly from BW or from the forum(s)?

Vagabon baby. Don’t want any1 on Kamp Koon and win I’m trukin it I don’t want any1 near me and they don’t want me near them…….

OP is describing a quasi landlord tenant relationship as well as an indentured servant quasi employee/employer relationship……

Both relationships have legal or potential legal ramifications that will involve interpersonal drama and or emotional turmoil……. Not ma wurl.

I don’t do any more “Law” than I need to and I don’t do “relationship” at all. I can’t stand peeps that I know around me; why would I want to be around strangers or them around me? Not ma wurl.

The old cliche: Misery loves company. Why I’m so solitary; heavy heavy on the solitary. Jonny boi ain’t livin in misery. Fact he livin tooo good 😊

Jonny boi livin Life Solitary, at peace, content and with great joy.

Were they mostly from BW or from the forum(s)?

All of the guests that I had issues with were from the Boondockers Welcome service. I had already spent several hundred dollars to be in compliance with their 'suggestions' when I first became a host. But as time went by, the issues accumulated and then the new 'mandatory rules' that BW required of the hosts became a burden....and remember host locations are normally 100% free to the guests...

As far as forum guests here, ALL of them have been delightful, respectful, and courteous when staying with me, and they are welcome at any time.