What do you look for in a workamper job?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeAndEasy

Reaction score
Hello, I am a lurker for about the last 6 months who just decided to join.   My partner has heard me talking about it and wants to propose a workamping program at their place of employment but needs information to take to the company. So, I thought I would ask all of you, many of you have had experiences with it, what do you look for in a workamping job and what type of facilities would you expect? How long do you want to stay in one place? What is a draw for a van dweller versus RV or TT?

The work and pay would be similar to an Amazon Camperforce or beet harvest, lots of overtime available over a short (2-3 month) period of time, the work is not difficult but includes long hours on your feet. Different time of year than beet harvest or Amazon.

The location has Walmart, grocery stores, movie theatres, laundromats within 20 minutes.

I am just doing some research for my partner, any feedback or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.  I may get around to doing an intro of myself, although I am pretty boring truth be told. But hitting the road is starting to sound pretty good to me.

There are a wide variety of workcampers with a wide variety of preferences. Generally, for a city position most would expect at least a spot with electric (RVs have 30A 120V or 50A 240V hookup). Some would insist on water and sewer as well.

Summer is the busy season for workcampers.

blars said:
There are a wide variety of workcampers with a wide variety of preferences.  Generally, for a city position most would expect at least a spot with electric (RVs have 30A 120V or 50A 240V hookup).  Some would insist on water and sewer as well.  

Summer is the busy season for workcampers.

Thank you for responding. We don’t own an RV yet, so I am unfamiliar with some of the terms.  When you say “sewer” does that mean some sort of hookup at each site, or just that there is a dump station somewhere at the campground/RV park that is accessible?

The time of year is not in summer. Do you think that will make it harder to find people?

When people are working the less they have to do in off time the better, so full hookups at each site. If this is going to be a year round deal a shade structure with some lockable storage on a gravel or concrete pad is a big draw. If no water or sewer at individual site then a show/ bathroom and dump station close by. Some businesses just have a deal with a nearby RV park or campground for their employees.